Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM

19 posts, read 33,361 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals,

I'm currently a full-time journalist making way too little money and working way too many hours. It's a situation that I've been trying to get out of for a long time, but I had to fight through some real bad health problems in the past few years. I needed the insurance, but now I'm in the clear and I'd like to make a new break.

Some info on me:

- Currently in Ohio.
- I'm going to be 26 on Saturday.
- I'll have about 7-10k in the bank when I move.
- I have a degree in English.

I've been looking at some neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens over the past few months, but I don't have anything specific in mind for an apartment. I don't mind and actually look forward to the idea of having roommates again, so that's not an issue with housing.

My problem is I'm not sure how long $7-10k in savings can realistically last me in a city like New York.

I'm not looking to get back into journalism in the city and a career more in marketing/advertising/copy writing seems more likely for me. I know the job market is terrible and NYC probably has thousands of people fighting for those jobs.

I feel like I have to *be* in the city for any HR person to even give my resume a second glance, so that's why I'm planning to move, lined up job or not. I don't expect to ever be rich with an English degree -- I just don't know how long it'll take before I'm broke and living out of a cardboard box.

Has anyone moved to the city without a job? What kind of tips do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,110 times
metrocard -104
food- 200
cell phone-100
cheap room in queens/bk-600
misc.-100

thats roughly 1110 so 10 g's in savings COULD last you 7-8 months if your on the grind really hard but start going out to eat here and there and that money vanishes esp. here. I dont know much about the job thing because i work in a diff field but my friend who is from here and has a degree in english is having a terrible time

Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 PM

oh and good luck, do what you want and dont listen to people on this board trying to tell you not to millions of people have done it before

Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
metrocard -104
food- 200
cell phone-100
misc.-100

thats roughly 1110 so 10 g's in savings COULD last you 7-8 months if your on the grind really hard but start going out to eat here and there and that money vanishes esp. here. I dont know much about the job thing because i work in a diff field but my friend who is from here and has a degree in english is having a terrible time
$200 for food is about $6.50 per day. That doesn't seem like enough to me.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
metrocard -104
food- 200
cell phone-100
misc.-100

That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the tips with that.

I could do $200 a month on food. Because of the health problems I had in the past, I got used to eating really bland food, so PB sandwiches are okay by me if it's what I need to do to save money.

That stinks to hear about the job market for English majors. I tried to be a littler versatile, working as a journalist and as a marketing intern, but I'd imagine the entire market is not pretty.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
Don't do it. Have you even applied for jobs yet? Try to find a job before you move first, you'll be much happier when you get here. Just to get an apartment you'll need to have at least $5,000 saved up for deposit, first month rent, possibly broker fee, possibly last month rent, maybe some utilities deposits, etc.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
note i said if your in the grind^^^

a loaf of ezekial bread is 3.99 at trader joes (3)=12.00

peanut butter is 2.29 in the bronx (3) ~7.00

you can get a big thing of rice, some beans, and easily sustain yourself thats basically what i do and im not even struggling that bad

Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
note i said if your in the grind^^^

a loaf of ezekial bread is 3.99 at trader joes (3)=12.00

peanut butter is 2.29 in the bronx (3) ~7.00

you can get a big thing of rice, some beans, and easily sustain yourself thats basically what i do and im not even struggling that bad
True, probably a lot of people in the city are getting by that way.

I agree that a $600 room is easier to find than people think. Just have to choose the less popular but still relatively safe neighborhoods (and there are plenty). Also have to make sure the room allows you kitchen privileges. I have seen some ads for cheaper rooms that have all sorts of weird restrictions.

I often recommend Elmhurst, Queens for people who are trying to get a decent cheap share or apartment in a safe neighborhood with very good transportation to the city. You could definitely get a $600 room there.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
My boyfriend and I (two people!) spend about $300 total per month on groceries... That affords us meals at home every night per week (good meals, at that), and typically, leftovers for lunch. Obviously, we spend much more on food as we eat out sometimes too, but I imagine that a single person could eat well on $150 per month if they never ever ate out.

Anyway, I wouldn't move here without a job either. Do you know anyone in the city? If so, just using their address on your resumes could help you get in the door as far as interviewing goes. The job market is tough everywhere, but this is the capital of marketing/advertising/PR so you have a better chance of landing something here than almost anywhere else.

I'm in the "don't get discouraged" camp, rather than the side that's going to shoot you down—people move here and make it every day. Just be smart.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Don't do it. Have you even applied for jobs yet? Try to find a job before you move first, you'll be much happier when you get here. Just to get an apartment you'll need to have at least $5,000 saved up for deposit, first month rent, possibly broker fee, possibly last month rent, maybe some utilities deposits, etc.
Is that even possible to get a job when you don't live in the city?

Why would someone hire a person from Ohio when there's probably thousands of equally qualified candidates nearby? I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't know if that's likely. I'm hard working and do great in interviews, but my resume isn't exactly eye-popping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City