Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 02:48 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Im sure it got lost in that long post I wrote. It was an eye sore to read. Yeah wifey graduated from a great top tier school in the New England area and has worked for 2 great non american banks (ie: Duetsche Bank type). Not them, but that type. Pretty pathetic that she has to deal with this type thing. I cant imagine how hard it is for someone who doesnt have a solid education and work history.

Also to Stephanies post below yours....We really do feel like bailing on NYC eventually and at times as well. My favorite cousin just bought a 3000 sq. foot home in NC and it has 4 bedrooms/3 Bath and him and his wife have regular jobs (nothing earth shattering) and live great (paid less than 250K for it) while we pay well over 1K a month to live here in NY. Add to that, everything in NY is a hassle. I live about 10 blocks from the subway and Ive had times where it takes me 30-40 mins to get there. NY does ware on you after a while.
If I wasn't stuck here, I'd be GONE in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 03:42 PM

24 posts, read 73,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im a doorman, I make a lousy 14 dollars a day. THe JEwish owner wants to get rid of unions in his other buildings too. I also get benefits too like general health and dental. Onetime while at work a guy handed me his resume he graduated from MIT. IT was sad thats when I realized that the economy is really bad, oh yeah he was a white guy too!
I know doorman work in boroughs other than manhattan will get you non union low pay. Try to leave your resume with 50 manhattan doormen...you never know. That MIT guy is a sad story....

Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times
I would actually be content with a $30K/year job. It would help pay for my groceries. I'm 45 years old and I'm moving to NY for semi-retirement.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Im sure it got lost in that long post I wrote. It was an eye sore to read. Yeah wifey graduated from a great top tier school in the New England area and has worked for 2 great non american banks (ie: Duetsche Bank type). Not them, but that type. Pretty pathetic that she has to deal with this type thing. I cant imagine how hard it is for someone who doesnt have a solid education and work history.

Also to Stephanies post below yours....We really do feel like bailing on NYC eventually and at times as well. My favorite cousin just bought a 3000 sq. foot home in NC and it has 4 bedrooms/3 Bath and him and his wife have regular jobs (nothing earth shattering) and live great (paid less than 250K for it) while we pay well over 1K a month to live here in NY. Add to that, everything in NY is a hassle. I live about 10 blocks from the subway and Ive had times where it takes me 30-40 mins to get there. NY does ware on you after a while.
Been there, done that....left NYC for a few years, moved to South Carolina believing the cheaper cost of living hype. Yes my house was way cheaper than NYC....property taxes, car insurance and homeowners insurance are also cheaper in the southern states. BUT while you will definitely find a much cheaper cost of living in the southern states trust me you will not save a whole lot. You will make up the difference in the cost of living by having no choice but to own a car (no transportation in other states), gas, car insurance, $$ spent for maintenance. Also food, gas, electric and water bills cost just as much in NC/SC as they do here in NYC. I should also add that while people do not need $100k a year jobs to live comfortably in NC/SC you also will not be happy trying to live on $9 an hour jobs.....you think the payscales have become bad here.....wait until you try living in one of the southern states and see just how limited there job market is. At least here in NYC there are a ton of different industries to choose from and mass transit to get you there.

My home in South Carolina sits empty until I go down for vacation...why? The job market in the south sucks. If you are going to head south make sure you do it when you retire....that is the best way to live in the south!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 PM

My friend lives in SC and has the LIFE. Well, he's not a mansion-owner, but hasn't suffered a DAY since the recession. All my southern friends are NOT harping the same tune as us Cali/NYer peeps, for instance.

Here's a little calculator that I find a LOT of fun to play with to get an idea of things:

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

It will make you RUN for the hills lol.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
My friend lives in SC and has the LIFE. Well, he's not a mansion-owner, but hasn't suffered a DAY since the recession. All my southern friends are NOT harping the same tune as us Cali/NYer peeps, for instance.

Here's a little calculator that I find a LOT of fun to play with to get an idea of things:

LOL, yeah that looks really good on a computer screen....which is the reason a lot of us NYer's are running south. But trust me you have to experience southern living first hand in order to see what I mean. For example there are some hidden costs in SC that people do not find out about until they move....a yearly vehicle property tax to get a sticker to put on the license plate just to drive on SC streets. The newer the car, the more expensive the vehicle tax.....and if you are a household with more than one car that yearly tax can really add up. So on the surface it appears cheaper to live in the south but they make up for it in other areas.

I was living in SC when this recession first started....was laid off and quickly learned why people do not move south until they retire!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM

217 posts, read 554,203 times
I hear ya NYborn. I realize it pretty much balances out. I mean everything being a hassle is what gets me and others down. It really is a rat race here. When I go see him down there everything is so much simpler. I do appreciate all the great things we have here in ny and that's why I've never left. Just basic talk on a message board, that's all. You are correct though, my cousin said himself if he or his wife gets laid off they are screwed big time because his area is very limited in terms of jobs where as you can always find something to survive here.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
@ NYBorn - what dept in Pfizer did you work for? I've been here on and off for 10 years, also at HQ.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post

The problem with this calculator thing is that you have to be willing to live in a lot of these places.It does me no good to calculate and compare my cost of living with someplace like South Carolina because I wouldn't even think about living there under any circumstances,including a substantially higher salary.And yes,I have been there and I have been to most of the US so it's not like I'm talking off the top of my head.Spending a weekend in some places in the US is what would make me want to run for the hills.

There are 4 or 5 places in the US that I could consider living in( like SF,Boston and a few others) but the cost of living in those places is pretty much the same as NYC.

I think it would be great though if everyone who wants to leave NYC and would have no problem settling in places like South Carolina, Texas, Atlanta,etc would leave.It would free up jobs and apartments for everyone else.It might even create upward pressure on salaries and downward pressure on rents if everyone would leave at the same time.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-25-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

I have lived in several places outside of NYC and I did have an easier time there vs. NYC. The only place that was not as great was SoCal, but I still consider the quality of life much better because you have awesome weather and beaches..which are free!--and they make up for a lot lol. Otherwise, it's expensive and the pay is crap as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City