Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
There is no one in their right mind that can survive off of that small of a salary in NYC. I mean, they can survive, per se, but literally on the ABSOLUTE basics. The idiot that takes a job that pays like that deserves the crummy lifestyle that comes with it.
Quote:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Yeah I set my status sarcastically since ohiogirl called me bitter and I found it amusing LOL

Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
There is no one in their right mind that can survive off of that small of a salary in NYC. I mean, they can survive, per se, but literally on the ABSOLUTE basics. The idiot that takes a job that pays like that deserves the crummy lifestyle that comes with it.
And the cheapskate employer deserves an IDIOT doing (aka messing up) the job also.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And the cheapskate employer deserves an IDIOT doing (aka messing up) the job also.
LOL yup and that's EXACTLY what they get. Paying that low really takes away work morale.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:31 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
LOL yup and that's EXACTLY what they get. Paying that low really takes away work morale.

They don't care.
They don't need the best of the best or top notch work.

Those that want top notch work pay for it.
May business just want someone who's sort of functional and sort of gets the job done.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:38 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
They don't care.

May business just want someone who's sort of functional and sort of gets the job done.
That's true. Companies could care less about work morale and work ethic these days because employees are so replaceable in this economy. Add that with the almost pathetic desperation of a lot of jobless folks and you have the half-ass job market we're experiencing right now.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
They don't care.

You have a point.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
I think a smart company pays its employees fairly, especially the ones who deal with customers face-to-face. My thinking has always been that the way an employer treats an employee is the same way that employee is going to treat the customers.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
To add more perspective, my first job after law school in 2001 (at a law firm, as an attorney) paid a whopping $37K a year. That's right, I made 37k because the job market after 9/11 was awful and law firms were firing everyone.

This is a race to the bottom, folks. Get used to it because it's only going to get worse.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I think a smart company pays its employees fairly, especially the ones who deal with customers face-to-face. My thinking has always been that the way an employer treats an employee is the same way that employee is going to treat the customers.
Veery true. I work for one company now that is like this. Since I started I have received 3 raises and bonuses each year. The catch? They only hire experienced people (very few entry level) hence why they save costs with training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City