Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Neither is nursing. I left and couldn't be happier. Truth is, my frliends in the legal field are doing way better than my nurse friends. Are ALL of them making their maximum potential? No, but most have jobs. Cannot say the same about my nurse friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I've heard that a LOT. The same holds true for nursing. It's extremely abusive and catty. I was in an ADN program...finished what I started, got my nursing license and applied my college credits elsewhere. Couldn't be happier. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone for Occupational Therapy. That and Physical Therapy are IN demand and have an extremely high rate of satisfaction.
if you have gotten your nurse lics then get out of the city and go west there people .there are places out west that are paying up to $35 .oo to 50.oo a hour for RN & LPN that have all there license ..

my little country bumpkin town of 451 people there in Ca they where paying nurse in my doctor office about $25.oo dollars a hour to 45.oo a hour at the hospital in Modesto..

they are screaming for qualifed nurse personal out west and they are willing pay big time in some of these smaller town to work there in the doctor's or hospital there

so get on the website that hire nurse and check out the west in the smaller town's and see what they are paying them

plus you figure the cost of liveing is a heck of alot cheaper than the nyc liveing where the cost of liveing is eatting up alot of your paycheck just to live there

plus give the fact the amount i paid for my apt there in mahattan is the same amount i used to pay out a month for all my bills total with a car and gas and insurance for it ..

so go west there people they are seaming for nurseing staff and alot of states will work with you on switching your license over from the state of new york and let you work intill all the paperwork is done ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
if you have gotten your nurse lics then get out of the city and go west there people .there are places out west that are paying up to $35 .oo to 50.oo a hour for RN & LPN that have all there license ..

my little country bumpkin town of 451 people there in Ca they where paying nurse in my doctor office about $25.oo dollars a hour to 45.oo a hour at the hospital in Modesto..

they are screaming for qualifed nurse personal out west and they are willing pay big time in some of these smaller town to work there in the doctor's or hospital there

so get on the website that hire nurse and check out the west in the smaller town's and see what they are paying them

plus you figure the cost of liveing is a heck of alot cheaper than the nyc liveing where the cost of liveing is eatting up alot of your paycheck just to live there

plus give the fact the amount i paid for my apt there in mahattan is the same amount i used to pay out a month for all my bills total with a car and gas and insurance for it ..

so go west there people they are seaming for nurseing staff and alot of states will work with you on switching your license over from the state of new york and let you work intill all the paperwork is done ..
That sounds grand and I keep hearing people say this, but then I continue to bump into nurses that have sent 300+ applications out all over the USA and they say it's not so. If it is true, that's wonderful, but nursing (as a whole) is the same everywhere. Abusive, catty, cruel, etc. High rate of burn out. I'm totally relieved that I'm out of it and look at my nursing license as something to fall back on if I ever need to use it.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Just wanted to see what kind of options I may have? Did you do accounting or finance? I am trying to go into a field where I can make more money than nursing.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
This whole notion of what's good field that can make more money is sort of fruitless unless you can forecast the future. Because by the time you are able to switch it up by going back to school, finishing school, getting certs, and/or finding a job...market will probably have changed. For example, I know bunch of high school kids from church that went into Nursing 6-7 years ago because at the time RN was a good job. RN was and still is good job but depends what specialty if you have one and where you are. Meaning what part of country, what type of medical facility (big hospital, rural town clinic, etc.), you want to do. However it's not like as it was before, it's quite challegning due to number of RN out there from home grown and foreigners coming in.

Even for myself, many of my graduating class in college majored in business, finance, and accounting (including myself) because in late 90s these were very hot sector. I graduated in 2002 but as we know, 2001 and then 2007 happened which hurts our financial sector which killed many of these opportunities in banking, accounting, financing areas.

Bottom-line is, you really can't look at what's hot now and expect that it'll be hot in the future when you are able to get in the mix. Our economy and job market changes way too fast to keep up. There are few jobs, you could do so and change it up quick...like being real estate broker during a boom since barrier to entry was low. But as long as barrier to entry is high as in requiring re-education or some job specific skills...you can't look at that to get into it and hope it stayed the same...

Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM

83 posts, read 343,187 times
Who is taking professional and paraprofessional jobs for this kind of money, and how are they housing themselves in a city where even renters are subject to rigorous income and credit scrutiny?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobermanBoston View Post
Who is taking professional and paraprofessional jobs for this kind of money, and how are they housing themselves in a city where even renters are subject to rigorous income and credit scrutiny?
Dual income households at 35k a piece can survive in this city.

That's what they're banking on.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM

83 posts, read 343,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

Just barely, maybe. I'd think that they would need to have a knack for managing money and/or a willingness to live simply to make it work though.

But some of the jobs the OP mentioned, and have been discussed here, pay even less than 35K.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:47 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

Yep, but barely survive. I mean, the prices of food have just gotten crazy, gas is insanely expensive, even public transportation has gone up. My express bus used to cost me $3.00 each way to work back in 2004. Now it is $5.50 each way. Quite a difference.

I know many people working admin type jobs that are just making it. Actually, most people I know in admin jobs are struggling. A lot of them live in rent controlled homes/apartments or with their parents. It's sad.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
I don't remember which businessman said it during the US industrial revolution but he stated that he paid workers just enough so they were able to work the next day.

It's no different now with these low wage jobs.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Here's a funny one:

Legal Receptionist (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/lgl/2437316045.html - broken link)

They want a Bachelors degree to be a receptionist. Really?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City