Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 PM

88 posts, read 171,434 times

Advertisements

...well there is no but, it is true. I am 22 years old, recent grad, living in Michigan. I have a crazy desire to pack up and leave within the next month. Don't worry, I have done my hours upon hours upon HOURS of research. I am looking into moving to the Astoria/Sunnyside/Woodside areas. I've been searching Craigslist everyday looking for the best options as far as renting a place goes for me and have found some places from $600-$700. I have applied to some paid internships for now and have gotten a few responses back already, at least one wanting to set up an interview asap.

I have around $8,000 saved up. I also have a cousin who lives in super nice area in the Bronx and could always ask to stay with his family for a little bit until I got my feet on the ground. BUT I really don't want to have to do that.

How crazy would I be (crazy not necessarily a bad thing) to go without a job and pick up a smaller job until I find a better one if these internships that I have gotten responses from don't work out? My career search would be in Marketing/PR/Social Media/Communications. Like I said, I've already applied for positions and in the cover letter I've stated the I will be relocating on X date just so they know I will be there.

My current job has also been quite intolerable these past few months...and things seem to be happening that which makes me feel like I need (and am ready for) a huge change asap. I've been talking about it for years, and now that I've finally graduated college, it's time to make something happen.

Would you have the insaneness to pack up and leave without a secure job? Have you done this? I'm a city girl. I always have been that girl. What to do, what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,840 times
I'm just curious, what have you found for $600-700? You do realize that many apartments on Craigslist are scams and, while the neighborhoods you listed aren't terribly expensive, an apartment (studio or 1-bedroom) is still going be $1,000 or a more.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,347 times
I'm assuming you mean to rent as a roommate? Or rent/sublet a room For you to rent on your own, you will need appplication fee, brokers fee(if you use one, and first, last and deposit at the minimum. You could also do what we did and sublet (but not for that little amount unless it's a share) and there will be less you have to come up with upfront. Google theStephanie Diamond listing project and get on her listserv for no scam listings. Its intended for artists but anyone can join. I would recommend, for a very small donation, also creating your own listing of what you are looking for, what area, price range and about yourself. We got our first longterm sublet this way, with NO jobs...we moved out last fall with money saved (more than you, but we also planned to not work right away). Our 2nd sublet (these are fully furnished btw) we got through craigslist, but we were also aready here to meet in person and check it out.

In short it can be done and don't be afraid, but also do be smart. The job market is competitive (very) even for jobs not in your field, including restaurants and temp work. A job interview does not at all come close to guaranteeing a job. But then you could get lucky. Check out craigslist gigs too for short term jobs. Doing babysitting, nannying, catering, and/or create your own job. This is NYC...anything is possible and there are endless opportunities here if you are alert and open.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 AM

166 posts, read 443,936 times
So, if you've already done your research, you know the deal. Don't come here expecting any sure thing and make sure you have a back up plan in case. Just by reading your situation, this is what came to mind...
You have a good amount of savings. Don't come here and blow it all tho...I know a transplant who spent $1,000 in her first week alone in NYC...housing costs excluded! So, just be smart and try to drag your savings out as long as you can.

I know you say you don't want to crash at your fam's house in the BX, but why? Lots of people do it. Also, refer back to dragging your savings out as long as you can. A one week sublet in QU would prob. cost you $300...and they're a pain to find/negotiate. I moved back to NYC recently and crashed on my friend's couch while I checked out rooms. Just make sure you have a set time in place (for me it was 2 weeks). Help out with food costs, etc.

You say you've found some places in Astoria/Woodside/Sunnyside for $600-$700. I say, come to NY and do your room search in person. Astoria is a super in-demand neighborhood now..I'm sure deals can be found, but you would really have to look. I found a pretty good deal on Craigslist, but had to sift thru TONS of scams/liars/timewasters. I'm in East Elmhurst, kinda far from the train, in a so-so neighborhood and I pay $575 everything included. Trust me when I tell you that is a DEAL as far as NYC goes. Be prepared to really search. Some potential roommates will also want you to have some stable income before moving in. If you run across this (and you will), I would suggest offering to pay extra security deposit or showing them a saving's statement. People move here and dip all the time when they figure out they can't make it. So, at least give them some assurance that financially you can self-maintain.

As far as the job goes, you understand how the job market is here, right? (although I'm sure it's gotta be better than Michigan). I have no idea what your degree's in, but I hope it's something useful. Get a NY phone # and use your fam's address on your applications until you can actually get here in person. Be prepared to do side-gigs while you look for something more permanent. Temp agencies do have work, but they like to bs and waste your time too. DM me if interested and I'll give you the name of the temp agency I've been working for. They're pretty decent and target college grads.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
8k is nothing without a decent stream of income.

I'd say in today's environment, you'd need at least a years worth of expenses and for NYC that's around 20k minimum.

It's not a joke out here nowadays.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 07-09-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,966 times
I would agree with the previous post that (1) $8,000 in savings may not be sufficient; and (2) you shouldn't rule out staying with your relatives until you get an "adequate" job. The savings from (2) would really, really help you.

If you do rule out (2), then I think as a worst-case scenario, you should be prepared to be unemployed for, say, a year. But in that case, 8K won't be enough to tide you over.

But, what the heck, you're 22. You can easily bounce back if things don't work out. If you plan life too much, you might end up seeing life pass you by.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
I'm assuming you mean to rent as a roommate? Or rent/sublet a room For you to rent on your own, you will need appplication fee, brokers fee(if you use one, and first, last and deposit at the minimum. You could also do what we did and sublet (but not for that little amount unless it's a share) and there will be less you have to come up with upfront. Google theStephanie Diamond listing project and get on her listserv for no scam listings. Its intended for artists but anyone can join. I would recommend, for a very small donation, also creating your own listing of what you are looking for, what area, price range and about yourself. We got our first longterm sublet this way, with NO jobs...we moved out last fall with money saved (more than you, but we also planned to not work right away). Our 2nd sublet (these are fully furnished btw) we got through craigslist, but we were also aready here to meet in person and check it out.

In short it can be done and don't be afraid, but also do be smart. The job market is competitive (very) even for jobs not in your field, including restaurants and temp work. A job interview does not at all come close to guaranteeing a job. But then you could get lucky. Check out craigslist gigs too for short term jobs. Doing babysitting, nannying, catering, and/or create your own job. This is NYC...anything is possible and there are endless opportunities here if you are alert and open.

Sorry...should have been clearer...you're right, it would be a roommate situation. I have a friend who I actually may be able to live with and he said he could hook me up with a job at the place he works until I found my "real" job...ya know?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:13 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowitskristin View Post
Sorry...should have been clearer...you're right, it would be a roommate situation. I have a friend who I actually may be able to live with and he said he could hook me up with a job at the place he works until I found my "real" job...ya know?
As long as you have an income stream. Even if you're living paycheck to paycheck. Just don't live paycheck to paycheck for too long.

Set a target date for yourself in regards to the above and if you don't find a better stream of income call it quits to the present situation.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:13 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
No, it wouldn't be crazy. You're smart to have saved up some money. I don't know whether it would be sufficient, but it would make sense to - despite your aversion - stay with the Bronx cousin initially, so that you don't have to dip into your savings yet. If you have that breathing space, you can find yourself a cheap share situation, and go on from there. Also see if your college has an alumni club here. 22 seems a great time to try to make a big leap.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No, it wouldn't be crazy. You're smart to have saved up some money. I don't know whether it would be sufficient, but it would make sense to - despite your aversion - stay with the Bronx cousin initially, so that you don't have to dip into your savings yet. If you have that breathing space, you can find yourself a cheap share situation, and go on from there. Also see if your college has an alumni club here. 22 seems a great time to try to make a big leap.
Thanks for the input! Once I find out about the initial job situation I'm gonna reach out to my cousin and then look for a shared place in Queens

The job was pretty much guaranteed to me, but I still want to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City