Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Well, I don't have any children, so FS is the only help I can get. No car and I'm repairing my worn out winter coat to last another year - it's 5th.

I just came back for grocery shopping for the 3 of us. My FS bought (you know, the benefits that come out of my taxes):

2 big packages of split chicken breasts (nice sales today)
3 lbs ground beef
canned kidney beans
canned tomatoes (makin' chili!)
red peppers
carrots
cauliflower
red delicious apples
gala apples
3 packages grape tomatoes
romaine lettuce
red cabbage
pears
bananas
2 cantaloupe
peaches
2 packages strawberries
milk
cheese
cottage cheese
Cheerios
Life
6 cans tuna
8 yogurt
8 cans veggies
peanut butter
mayo

Snacks, dog food & treats and some other items came from our incomes.

Anyone who doesn't like it can eat my dust!

The OPs issue was with people who are using FS to purchase junk food rather than the healthy/nutritious food you have on your list.

I don't have an issue with people using FS or other programs to get them over a difficult time in their lives. My problem is people who make a career out of living off the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
The OPs issue was with people who are using FS to purchase junk food rather than the healthy/nutritious food you have on your list.

I don't have an issue with people using FS or other programs to get them over a difficult time in their lives. My problem is people who make a career out of living off the system.
Agreed...
I think some are turning this into a different issue. I don't think the OP was saying that people shouldn't be using food stamps at all. Maybe if he/she/they come(s) back...

Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Agreed...
I think some are turning this into a different issue. I don't think the OP was saying that people shouldn't be using food stamps at all. Maybe if he/she/they come(s) back...
I don't think they will. I think the thread was created simply to get a rise out of people or to vent without the hopes of it turning into a discussion to actually identify a problem and expand on the solution.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
My problem is people who make a career out of living off the system.
Human nature. There will always be people that are good and there will always be people that will, steal, rob and kill. At the end of the day it's all Darwinism to me. Maybe if that person didn't give up in life and actually cared, they would have been ahead of me on that interview. So let the crabs climb over each other at the bottom of the barrel so the good ones can rise to the top. Rationalizing it like that helps me sleep good at night.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Food: Meat, dairy products, breads, vegetables, cereal, juice (real juice, not Hawaiian Punch or similar), fruits.

Additionally, I think FS recipients should be made to use coupons when they're purchasing items and get generic brands when possible so as to save money. (Since they're getting something for free from the government, they should have to attend classes three times a month teaching them how to save money on groceries, how to use coupons, etc and have to produce their receipts showing they're doing what they can to stretch their FS "dollars")
If they are getting a limited amount in food stamps per month, they are most likely already trying to find ways to stretch them. Unfortunately, in addition to using coupons, one way to stretch them is to buy sugary drinks like soda and Hawaiian Punch.

For example, a 1/2 gallon of juice in the store costs around $3. A 1/2 gallon of soda or Hawaiian Punch costs around $1.50.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
When the money isn't earned through work, it's easy to spend.

My parents always told me that as a kid but I never paid much attention to it. Now that I'm working, I know what that feels like.
Oh, only people on welfare "easily" spend money. I guess they are the ones that are in massive foreclosure on their homes. After all, many spent money they did not have or "was not their's"--I.e.---loans.

Another bash welfare thread.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 AM

106 posts, read 251,501 times
The demographic of people who get food stamps today has changed greatly. Yes there are working people who get assistance from food stamps and I see nothing wrong with that.
My question was really geared towards what people purchase with those food stamps. Looking at it from a medical perspective, the ER's in NYC are packed with people with diabetes, hypertension and heart disease. and many of those people are usually from communities who traditionally had a higher number of people receiving food stamp assistance. I thought if maybe there were some type of restrictions on junk food with no nutritional value it would make a little of a difference.

And when I wrote of those who cheat the system I was not including those who work and have to supplement with food stamps.
In this economy we do not know who will wind up applying for food stamps but if it is me I will try to maximize and get the healthiest things I can for my family.
Now someone has to start a thread where we can discuss gov't and where our taxes go and please let me know when you do.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Oh, only people on welfare "easily" spend money. I guess they are the ones that are in massive foreclosure on their homes. After all, many spent money they did not have or "was not their's"--I.e.---loans.

Another bash welfare thread.

Another straw man argument.

This is the real problem with debates/discussions on this issue. People push straw man arguments.

If you make your own money no one has a right to tell you what to do with it save for close family and friends who have good intentions and are looking out for your interests.

If someone makes 500k/year, I couldn't care less whether he spends every single penny of it on junk.

No one's bashing welfare. Another straw man argument that's pushed a lot.
It has helped a lot of people get through difficult times or bought them some time to better their financial position.

When my parents first immigrated to the US in 1989, my father took a job for $4.50/hr and my mother went on welfare (me and my brother were 3 and 2 at the time respectively). My mother was on welfare for approximately 3 years until we were able to start going to school and my mother started a process which eventually led her to open her won small business.
Fast forward 20+ years later and my father and I are cleaning out our basement. I come across an envelope with 7k in it which my father says he completely forgot about. He was working a job a about 5-6 years ago for 6 months which was paying him the OT in cash. He didn't even bat an eye at it and just told me to leave it for emergencies.

I think this was the way welfare was intended to work. Going from min wage and welfare to not giving 7k in cash a second thought. We're not wealthy by any means either. I was fortunate enough to have parents who worked like dogs, put stability and their kids first, and lived well within their means.

The problem is that the abuse and fraud has got out of hand. I'm exposed to some of the most egregious violators so I know what the deal is.

I'd rather those on welfare that truly need it get more money than spread it out amongst them and the abusers.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 07-10-2011 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 AM

448 posts, read 685,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
The demographic of people who get food stamps today has changed greatly. Yes there are working people who get assistance from food stamps and I see nothing wrong with that.
My question was really geared towards what people purchase with those food stamps. looking at it from a medical perspective, the ER's in NYC are packed with people with diabetes, hypertension and heart disease. and many of those people are usually from communities who traditionally had a higher number of people receiving food stamp assistance. I thought if maybe there were some type of restrictions on junk food with no nutritional value it would make a little of a difference.

And when I wrote of those who cheat the system I was not including those who work and have to supplement with food stamps.
In this economy we do not know who will wind up applying for food stamps but if it is me I will try to maximize and get the healthiest things I can for my family.
Now someone has to start a thread where we can discuss gov't and where our taxes go and please let me know when you do.
Really? What's the name of that study? You should post it for us so we can learn!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Really? What's the name of that study? You should post it for us so we can learn!

Why do people play this game? How can problems be solved when they can't even be acknowledged?

Obesity and African Americans - The Office of Minority Health
Quote:
African American women have the highest rates of being overweight or obese (http://www.4women.gov/glossary/index.cfm#obese - broken link) compared to other groups in the U.S. About four out of five African American women are overweight or obese.[SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE]
In 2009, African Americans were 1.5 times as likely to be obese as Non- Hispanic Whites.
In 2009, African American women were 60% more likely to be obese than Non-Hispanic White women.
African Americans are on food stamps at about 3x the rate as their overall percentage of population.

There are plenty of socio-economic and historical reasons for the above situation but not acknowledging the problems doesn't do anyone any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City