Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 14,816 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

im a 19 year old irish chef living in ireland, but i plan to move to nyc, maybe " woodlawn". Herd there was a big irish comunity over there. My question is what is the easiest way of finding a shared aprtment/ job. Through newspapers? job centre? or do you just walk into a apartment building and ask? the jobs i would be looking for are bar work, construction, or chef. the kind of place i would like to live is any area in woodlawn, or any area thats cheap and safe for a white man, not that i care in the slightest about skin colour.

thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM

54 posts, read 206,276 times
You are indeed correct... Woodlawn is just about the most heavily populated Irish area in NYC. It's a great neighborhood to live... lots of cute housing, bars, restaurants. Check out Irish Abroad - Irish community and news worldwide. and click on classifieds for lots of Woodlawn apartments for rent and job postings. Also, you can always try craigslist.com.
Best of luck with your move!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
Just remember the two "Woods" -- Woodside in Queens, and Woodlawn in the Bronx -- have been for a centrury or more overwhelmingly Irish neighborhoods. You could also look in Yonkers.

Irish folks usually find work initially from contacts from home. You should find out which of your townsfolk have come here -- even many years ago -- and are in the bar or construction business. They are usually very accomodating. A bar near me owned by a fellow from my mother's home town (Headford, Galway) that opened 40 years ago still employs pretty much only bartenders from the same town. Also, check www.irishecho.com for information about jobs and housing.

Of the job front, your options and goals will, of course, depend upon whether you are coming here with work visas, etc. Many of the bartending/construction sort of jobs you might be looking for may be "off the books" (i.e., lower paying, but no taxes, benefits, or working papers).

Old 09-03-2008, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 14,816 times
Thanks very much for the help and encouragment, i checked but couldnt find any housing lists or jobs. is there Any other ways you know of to find a place to stay or job? thanks again.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,396 times
I've been told Woodlawn and the Rockaways are very Irish-American, which is very different from Irish... haha.

Woodside still had a sizable Irish immigrant population until the Tiger emerged in the motherland, don't know if still does.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,226 times
Emerald Isle Immigration Center Helping Immigrants NY

Perhaps this resource could be of help.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:34 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah right, I don't think Rockaway has much in common with Woodlawn. Most of the Irish around here are fresh off the boat.

Not too many Irish in Woodside anymore. Most of them live around Maspeth or Sunnyside these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
I've been told Woodlawn and the Rockaways are very Irish-American, which is very different from Irish... haha.

Woodside still had a sizable Irish immigrant population until the Tiger emerged in the motherland, don't know if still does.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,162 times
TO STAFFORD 98 I'm irish and i live in woodlawn everyone here is very helpful your best bet if your looking for chef job would be to open an account with craigslist and try start looking there before you arrive there are loads of restarants on kathona and mclean av mostly irish you could try contacting them rory dolans ,rambling house, heritage all that area you can look them up online. I actually moved here on my own 3years ago and i got my first job thanks to craigslist you'd be surprised what could come up for ya there they always advertise jobs there,Come summer there are so many students looking for a place is a bit harder you would be well off to call the aisling community center they are based right in the heart of woodlawn 990 mclean av yonkers #9142375121 they might be able to help ya with getting digs or jobs or put u in contact with someone that can help, if i see any posters up local with any irish lads looking for a room mate or anything ill post em on to ya here if ya want. good luck if u love been irish ya'll love woodlawn and your only half hour train ride from grand central on metra north to city its a great place to live!!if i come up with any numbers Ill be sure to post em here for ya hopefully ya get this reply!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Woodlawn has the best bar scene for young people in the Bronx, and lots of eye candy. It is a very clean, well maintained area, good food, walkable. The locals make sure it stays Irish..it's one of the very few areas they have left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City