Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 38,525 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am seriously thinking of moving to Woodlawn in the coming few weeks, but I would like to know what kind of rent that I should expect to pay each month. Also, what is the commute like into the city? And what are the first places / organisations that I should get involved in the neighbourhood to start integrating and getting to build a social circle for myself. I would like to build a social circle as quickly as possible and build from there. Any suggestions???

Also - if anybody knows of any decent accomodation or which sites to start looking on, that would be a great help too

Before anybody asks.....I am legal :-)

Last edited by Irishman2; 07-30-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
The neighborhood isn't expensive, which is good. It's one of the few areas in the city that is still very safe and not expensive. I imagine the commute to Manhattan would be somewhat time consuming, seeing as how that area is about as northern as you can get in the city. There is a Metro-North station in the area and you can take a bus to the 4 train in nearby Norwood. Buledog2 should be able to help better.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM

Hey DoomDan515,

Thanks for the info. It does seem like the most sensible option for me in terms of location, but as you said, it will be a bit of a commute to Manhattan. To be honest, I dont really mind the commute too much. Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Any idea as to what the best sites are for accomodation?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,069 times
instead of creating a new topic ill just write here!

I am considering moving to woodlawn as well but i have an issue that hopefully someone can help me out with. I landed a great job downtown on cortlandt street but it is shift work every month. The hours are 8am-4pm, 4pm-12am, 12am-8am.

Now the only shift I have a problem with is the 4pm-12am just because of transportation getting home. I cant seem to figure out a route that would work. There seems to be no busses that run from the woodlawn subway station to woodlawn past 1230am.

The only other option I have is getting a metro north card and taking the subway to grand central to woodlawn and walk from that station.

Can anyone help me with this or is there really no other alternative?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
The Bx34 used to run 24/7, but now it runs weekdays only and doesn't have overnight service. The Bx31 runs until around 1:00AM coming from the 233rd Street station, but that isn't exactly the best place to wait for a bus at 1:00AM.

So yeah, unless you plan on walking back from the (4) train at Woodlawn, it looks like you're stuck with Metro-North.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 AM

Silly question, but how long is the commute to midtown for normal working day - Start at 8am, finish after 6pm? What are the best options? Bus / Subway??

Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelic088 View Post
instead of creating a new topic ill just write here!

I am considering moving to woodlawn as well but i have an issue that hopefully someone can help me out with. I landed a great job downtown on cortlandt street but it is shift work every month. The hours are 8am-4pm, 4pm-12am, 12am-8am.

Now the only shift I have a problem with is the 4pm-12am just because of transportation getting home. I cant seem to figure out a route that would work. There seems to be no busses that run from the woodlawn subway station to woodlawn past 1230am.

The only other option I have is getting a metro north card and taking the subway to grand central to woodlawn and walk from that station.

Can anyone help me with this or is there really no other alternative?
When are you moving over?? I am actually going to me in NY this week to check out a few things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City