Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Why do all transplants have favorite neighborhoods? Neighborhoods that they are not from. Bushwick will be known as an area where latinos were pushed out by out of town college kids.

But didn't the Latinos also "push out" whoever were there before them?

Didn't Henry James and his "old New York" crowd also complain about noisy, dirty, criminal immigrants from Eastern Europe.

Lighten up, compadre. Each new wave comes after the other, adding yet another piece to the glorious mosaic that is New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
el77...as opposed to being known as an area that was solidly working class and white residents were "pushed", or rather "burned" out by blacks and hispanics? Your statement, and mind, are both wrong...the difference is you believe the nonsense you spout.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
The problem here is that we have people speaking about a neighborhood they know nothing about... I live here and my issue with this article and more specifically this poster (abklyndude) is that it's like he's trying to fabricate this mass movement to Bushwick that originally was picking up steam but with the spike in the crime rate and what some may call "reverse racism" has slowed down a good amount... Like I said, I have no problem with the area next to me getting better and even the hipsters pushing out the undesirables... by all means go ahead, I don't need to hear gunshots everyday where i live or teenagers arguing about blood this, patria killa, king killa, etc.

My only issue with this article is that it comes from one of the most subjective opinionated newspapers this city has to offer and which leans heavily in favor of one side... supposedly based on the times, Bushwicks gentrification started in the late 90s and ridgewood had become a hotspot for "young professionals" by 1985... this source with no evidence is completely worthless and it's no better than me writing an article about the reality of this neighborhood...

Fact is, there is more hipsters in Bushwick than in Mott haven... the percentage of the actual hipsters of all colors is probably around 10%... the white population which includes hipsters/poor european folk closer to the ridgewood border and the broke ghetto white people is about 9% and the asian pop. is about 4% everything else is hispanic or black and the neighborhood unlike a bed-stuy, park slope, clinton hill, fort greene... is very run-down and ugly despite the improvements made... I wouldn't bet my salary on this, but i would even question whether there were more white folks in 2010 than this year because early on last year they were really making their presence felt and you do not see them as much anymore other than the areas where there is a good number of them...

so once again... to the people responding to either my comments or others... personally, my problem is not with them moving in as change is inevitable... my problem is forcing something through lies at the expense of the people moving in here who realize the hype was either false or exaggerated...

Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM

425 posts, read 391,808 times
Aren't there a lot of art galleries opening up in Bushwick? Well near Flushing ave anyway.

Anon, I am curious, do you see Bushwick as a bad neighborhood comparatively to the rest of NY? It would be interesting to see how the crime rate compares to areas 10-20 years ago, that now are ludicrously expensive. Or perhaps areas that have been expensive for awhile.

To say that Bushwick is bad compared to the rest of NY maybe fair. There is a bunch of housing stock in Bushwick that is beautiful, and hope that someone comes in to restore, especially some of the mansions on Bushwick Ave.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
@ Energystream we aren't in disagreement that there has been tons of investment in this area but being completely honest, looking at the neighborhood and recognizing it for what it is, the only reason hipsters moved in here in the first place was to look for cheaper rents close to Williamsburg and this is the closest neighborhood... To give you a sense of what I mean if Bed-stuy would've been located where Bushwick is located and viceversa, IMO Bed-stuy would be far more gentrified than it is and would look very similar to clinton hill and bushwick would be somewhere near an Ocean Hill in terms of hot spots for hipsters...

The neighborhood in general can probably contend as one of the ugliest or dirtiest (whichever you prefer) neighborhoods in Brooklyn... People would say maybe brownsville or east ny but as much as project buildings give you the sense that a neighborhood is bad... it's the 4-6-8 family buildings that appear to be falling down or filled with graffitti and trash that make an area look worse than simply having buildings taking over the entire neighborhood...

And while Bushwick as well as East NY and Brownsville and Mott Haven and Morrisania etc. are all areas that have made dramatic improvements from previous years, they are still areas that deal with a high amount of crime and that unless people are willing to sacrifice safety for cost, should not be interested in living here... to each his own and i'm not against it especially if you can't afford other neighborhoods, but IMO it doesn't make any sense...

Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM

7 posts, read 29,655 times
I Use To Live In Bushwick....Its Still A Crime Infested Neighborhood Where My Son Was Nearly Killed When He Was 13yrs. old... And Thats why I Moved..... Bushwick= Massive Roaches Rats Shootings Stabbings Drug Dealing And A Lot Of Burgularies.... And Still Is One Of The Seedy Areas Of Brooklyn.....

Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Is this the type of transplant to Bushwick that everyone loves to hate? Not your typical hipster. I would be annoyed if people were moving into my neighborhood, calling it "Crooklyn" and complaining that they couldn't find the wild parties they heard so much about. Actually, maybe I would just find it sad and pathetic.

new to crooklyn from Alaska (http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/act/2682707769.html - broken link)

new to crooklyn from Alaska (bushwick)

What's up I'm from AK moved here in august and still haven't seen one of these wilds brooklyn parties I've been hearing so much about. I'm 22, 23 on dec30th

Hit me up I'm ready to roll

Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
^ Well, he's from Alaska. Waddaya expect?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 AM

916 posts, read 2,247,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Is this the type of transplant to Bushwick that everyone loves to hate? Not your typical hipster. I would be annoyed if people were moving into my neighborhood, calling it "Crooklyn" and complaining that they couldn't find the wild parties they heard so much about. Actually, maybe I would just find it sad and pathetic.

new to crooklyn from Alaska (http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/act/2682707769.html - broken link)

new to crooklyn from Alaska (bushwick)

What's up I'm from AK moved here in august and still haven't seen one of these wilds brooklyn parties I've been hearing so much about. I'm 22, 23 on dec30th

Hit me up I'm ready to roll
The guy was marooned in Alaska for almost 23 years, just finding his way
back to the civilization, you got to give him a break for over excited.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
The guy was marooned in Alaska for almost 23 years, just finding his way
back to the civilization, you got to give him a break for over excited.
LOL.......That made my day.

Reps to you....another LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City