Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times

Advertisements

Ah, I knock Jersey, at times, but it isn't that bad. Hell, if you live in Bergen County, and drive a big ass BMW, or Benz, or a Jag (or maybe all three). Live in a BIG ass mansion in some fancy town. Your kids go to a nice fancy school where they learned Latin by the 5th grade. And you come to the city to go to some fancy restaurant on the UES. Wouldn't you want to live in Jersey? I mean we have to deal with noise, pollution, crime, terrorisim, MTA's bull**** during storms. Jersey doesn't sound that bad.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 PM

191 posts, read 900,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_163 View Post
I checked the internet, it seems to me that NJ is very close to Manhattan, and it is possible for me to travel from NJ to 49th ST & 5th Ave even under 30 minutes. The cost for rent an apt in NJ is much cheaper. Why people still prefer Manhattan, so expensive, noisy, and crowded? Any particular reasons?
Why NY?
1) Its FRIGGIN NYC!!
2) no car, will travel. Everything you need in a few blocks
3) Dude. ITS NYC!
4) Property taxes?? HAH! i cant afford to OWN property, who cares

Why Not NYC
1) wow.. you mean thats REAL GRASS in our backyard??
2) we have a backyard??? a pool? a grill? central air? for 300k? and i own it?!?
3) Property taxes??? HOLY CRAP! it was cheaper to rent

Seriously tho. if you look at a map of whats 30 minutes away from NYC, you will probably be in a REALLY expensive area, or you will get shot. nyc and the immediate areas are basically turning into that. its a vicious cycle.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 PM

55 posts, read 208,874 times
Edgewater, Nj is really nice but it is getting as expensive as NYC now. It is barely 30min away and can be reached by both bus or ferry and is right between the Lincoln tunnel and the George Washington bridge and has great views of manhattan and the hudson river.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,606 times
NJ is very expensive too

Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
everyone i know in jersey would rather be in ny.
thats just the ppl i know tho, i'm sure ppl on here would argue with that.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times
I find that when you live in NJ because it is "close" to NYC, you really never make it into NYC as much as you think you will. I grew up in Jersey (40 miles) out, did a 5 year stint in Hoboken and have lived in Manhattan since.

I would say pick Manhattan or maybe Brooklyn. Jersey is GREAT, but it would be a mistake to choose it as per proximity to NYC (I am refering to social scene choice.... not work commute). NJ has a lot to offer and wide array of towns with a scene of their own.... but choose it for that, not because you think you will go to NYC two nights per weekend.

for cheaper rent, you might want to check out a neighborhood called Hudson Heights. Take a daytrip to the Cloisters museum. See if you like it up there.... it is a hike, but still just a subway ride (no river crossing).

Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_163 View Post
I checked the internet, it seems to me that NJ is very close to Manhattan, and it is possible for me to travel from NJ to 49th ST & 5th Ave even under 30 minutes. The cost for rent an apt in NJ is much cheaper. Why people still prefer Manhattan, so expensive, noisy, and crowded? Any particular reasons?
Because Jersey is Jersey. Manhattan is big lights and glamour.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Manhattan all day! and i love Jersey. no matter how close you are, there's the hassle of getting into the city. you definitely need a car for most towns in NJ. I lived in Ft. Lee where you can spit and hit the west side highway. regardless, it was a hassle getting in and out (it could take 10 mins or 2 hours), then there's parking, etc..

recently, i stayed at the Ft Lee Hilton due to a reasonable room rates and free parking. we planned to just take a local private cab in. they charged us $60 to get to midtown and said it was a great deal LOL!!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Urban vs. Suburban: they are completely different landscapes and lifestyles. There are pockets of Jersey that are like Brooklyn and Queens, but there's nothing that's like Manhattan. (Then again, there's no place in the country that's like Manhattan.)

Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I like walking to work. I like being able NOT to have a car. I like the proximity of everything to my home. I was born here and went to school here - I LIKE it.

I could ask why anyone would WANT to live in NJ!
I like having a car and could never picture my life without one...lol (then again I don't live in the city)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City