Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:28 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
You mean those stats might not be right.
Might not be?

Here are things the public does not realize.

1. Precinct commands. Captains, DI's, ect have to report to Compstat meetings. At these meetings they must stand at podium and litterly get chewed up by higher ups. Obviously this is done to encourage the fudging of crime statistics.

2. These CO's come back to their precincts and "encourage" their men to ****can, downgrade and reclassify crimes.

3. Cops get payed way too little, we don't give a **** and do it to avoid getting chewed up by our boses.

Why are stats fudged? Real estate interest. How else do you make a ****hole up and coming. There is also tourism. Very important. The biggest thing though is making the current administration look good.

How do you downgrade stats.

Make a phone or chain snatch a grand larceny to make violent crime go down. Or you can just make it lost property or petit larc, misd don't show up on compstat.

Shred reports? Yes it happens, that is why your report got "lost". Oh and a favorite is throwing people out the precinct. "we don't belive you". "why did you take so long to report this robbery." "leave before YOU get arrested for trying to make a fake report".

The precinct I work in on a busy day gets 10 reported robberies. Average I would say is around 5 per day. Yet we only record about 500 per year on compstat.

Compstat is crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 02:37 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Might not be?

Here are things the public does not realize.

1. Precinct commands. Captains, DI's, ect have to report to Compstat meetings. At these meetings they must stand at podium and litterly get chewed up by higher ups. Obviously this is done to encourage the fudging of crime statistics.

2. These CO's come back to their precincts and "encourage" their men to ****can, downgrade and reclassify crimes.

3. Cops get payed way too little, we don't give a **** and do it to avoid getting chewed up by our boses.

Why are stats fudged? Real estate interest. How else do you make a ****hole up and coming. There is also tourism. Very important. The biggest thing though is making the current administration look good.

How do you downgrade stats.

Make a phone or chain snatch a grand larceny to make violent crime go down. Or you can just make it lost property or petit larc, misd don't show up on compstat.

Shred reports? Yes it happens, that is why your report got "lost". Oh and a favorite is throwing people out the precinct. "we don't belive you". "why did you take so long to report this robbery." "leave before YOU get arrested for trying to make a fake report".

The precinct I work in on a busy day gets 10 reported robberies. Average I would say is around 5 per day. Yet we only record about 500 per year on compstat.

Compstat is crap.
Hustla,weren't you the one who siad that 40% or less crime is reported,because if thats true,alot of places are much more dangerous than crime stats show.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hustla,weren't you the one who siad that 40% or less crime is reported,because if thats true,alot of places are much more dangerous than crime stats show.
Yes most people do not report crimes. You get robbed, and you deal with it. You don't want to bother with the police questioning you as though you are the criminal. You don't want the neighborhood thinking you are a snitch. You just deal with it.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yes most people do not report crimes. You get robbed, and you deal with it. You don't want to bother with the police questioning you as though you are the criminal. You don't want the neighborhood thinking you are a snitch. You just deal with it.
Yeah,because if your labeled a snitch,your going to have to deal with other people in your neighborhood,you'll be subjected to getting the **** beat out of you everyday.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Quote:
Yeah,because if your labeled a snitch,your going to have to deal with other people in your neighborhood,you'll be subjected to getting the **** beat out of you everyday.
So through simple deduction, which neighborhoods do you think have the most under-reported crime? Meaning that the worst neighborhoods are actually even worse, imagine that.

Although, I do think that there is still a significant amount of under-reported crime in the good neighborhoods. Like Hustla said, "you deal with it" and I guess write it off as part of living in the big city. It is unfortunate that people live like that. It really does help the police when they know where crime occurs but then again the police aren't helping the situation when they downgrade crimes or give victims the attitude that it is a bother to take the report.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:15 PM

I've heard from people before that its just a fact that you'll eventually be a victim of crime in NYC if you live there.Is that true?I mean I imagine with all the foot traffic that it wouldn't be hard for someone to snatch something from you.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
So through simple deduction, which neighborhoods do you think have the most under-reported crime? Meaning that the worst neighborhoods are actually even worse, imagine that.

Although, I do think that there is still a significant amount of under-reported crime in the good neighborhoods. Like Hustla said, "you deal with it" and I guess write it off as part of living in the big city. It is unfortunate that people live like that. It really does help the police when they know where crime occurs but then again the police aren't helping the situation when they downgrade crimes or give victims the attitude that it is a bother to take the report.
The neighborhoods in NYC with the most under reported crime have the most poverty and the most crime period. The South Bronx, Harlem, Northern Brooklyn, ect.

Quote:
I've heard from people before that its just a fact that you'll eventually be a victim of crime in NYC if you live there.Is that true?I mean I imagine with all the foot traffic that it wouldn't be hard for someone to snatch something from you.
People need to learn to dismiss the idea just becuase there are a bunch of people around crime won't happen. Crime does happen in front of lots of people. A great example is a rapist who proceeded to rape a women on a crowded train platform. In front of hundreds of people. No one did anything.

Another example is the high level of snatches in NYC. A lot of people come running by and snatch your ****. It's pretty common across the city. They pull these off in subway trains before the doors close or in front of hundreds on retail strips. It's epidemic in low income areas.

If someone is going to harm you, no one will help. People don't want to get involved in your bull****. Too many crazy people in this city. People only care about themselves and would prefure not to get involved. Does anyone actually belive the people around you will help while your getting robbed at gunpoint? Only in the movies.

A yuppy in Manhattan once told a gang of youths mugging them "Please. What are you going to do, shoot me?". Guess what happened. People are idiots.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The neighborhoods in NYC with the most under reported crime have the most poverty and the most crime period. The South Bronx, Harlem, Northern Brooklyn, ect.

People need to learn to dismiss the idea just becuase there are a bunch of people around crime won't happen. Crime does happen in front of lots of people. A great example is a rapist who proceeded to rape a women on a crowded train platform. In front of hundreds of people. No one did anything.

Another example is the high level of snatches in NYC. A lot of people come running by and snatch your ****. It's pretty common across the city. They pull these off in subway trains before the doors close or in front of hundreds on retail strips. It's epidemic in low income areas.

If someone is going to harm you, no one will help. People don't want to get involved in your bull****. Too many crazy people in this city. People only care about themselves and would prefure not to get involved. Does anyone actually belive the people around you will help while your getting robbed at gunpoint? Only in the movies.

A yuppy in Manhattan once told a gang of youths mugging them "Please. What are you going to do, shoot me?". Guess what happened. People are idiots.
Yeah,if someones getting robbed at gun point,and someone else tried to help them,they'd probably end up getting shot/killed or robbed themselves.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:51 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,711 times
Hustla is right.

However if I saw a Women getting Raped on a subway platform I would funk that dude up for real, unless he had some kind of weapon.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:54 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Of course (thinking intuitively) here ..... if red areas indicate a high level of incarcerations, then those areas should actually be the safest and have the lowest crime rates, since the criminals are already locked up.

I'm just sayin' .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City