Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 19,172 times

Advertisements

hi I live in a 4 room apartment I have a 19yr girl 14 yr 4 ye. and 2 year old boys. there is no where for us to eat at but in our rooms. only # beds fit in each room and I only have 2 bed rooms. I live on the first floor. I have been living with mold for about 5 years. they just removed it.my health has gotten worst since the mold and this fowl smell from the basement have been in my apt. now I have been approved for a bigger apartment since April 2010 and I'm still sitting here. there have been 3 vacant 3 bedroom apartment since I have been approved. there was a vacant 3 bedroom apt. directly across from me andthey didn't call me for it. when the tenant moved in I asked her how long was she on the waiting list and she told.me exactly 1 year. this **** has me stressed out cause I think my housing assistance is doing something to where I can't move being that I always argue with him. he keeps telling me that its a lottery that selects tenants. but I believe he got something to do with it. I renewed my leased in April and I still haven't received my lease yet. my rent went up but my income has gone down and I am bugging out cause how is this so. everytime I ask my housing assistant where is my lease he tells me they are mailing it. this housing assistant is making my life miserable. please give me some feedback on what should I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 20,763 times
first I am sorry to hear about your health. I hope that you do get better. I wanted to tell you that when you have atrandfer request approval by nycha in your hand you call them ,you visit them , you bring in documentation from your doctor, you write them and you document every interaction you've had and ask them specific's as to "how long this process takes? when you have it in wriiting and they do not respond you contact the supervisor in the management, if you still don't get a transfer than you start contacting agencies that deal with housing , you tell them your situation and when a lawyer , legal agency, and an avdocacy agency gets invovled they take notice, if you don't avdocate for yourself and not allow them to just tell you anything than you are allowing them to not do there job. NYCHA is a business and you pay your rent , no matter how much you pay or contribute towards your rent / you have rights and if medically your are suffering speak up because oneday you many not wake up because that same mold as taking residents in your lungs. ....there are different things you can do start by talking with the Housing managers supervisor and than follow the chain of command. you are intitled to transfer if it was already approved...

Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 PM

91 posts, read 312,051 times
You housing assistant is correct about the lottery part of it unfortunately. Just because you are approved and get on the list does not mean they will call you right away. Unless you are priority, the wait for a transfer can take forever. The only possible glimmer of hope might be as the other poster said, bring documentation on how the current living situation is effecting your health but otherwise there is not guarantee anymore regarding transfers within NYCHA.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 PM

31 posts, read 129,226 times
also send all documentation copies of documentation to their legal department at NYCHA, Legal Department, 250 Broadway, 9th Floor, NY, NY. I help a lady who works with me she had tired to resolve her issue for a year but as soon as I CC everything to Head of NYCHA, legal department, management office and borough department they contacted her within a week and helped her right away. You can find all the addresses and names on the NYCHA website.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Also read what I just found on the NYCHA website, it might be helpful:
"Visit or call your Housing Assistant and request the status of your transfer request. There is no way to tell when vacancies will occur, therefore we can’t tell you when you will be called for an apartment. There is also no way to predict when a person’s referral will be selected because the TSAP computerized waiting list continually selects the application or transfer request with the highest priority and certification date. We can, however, tell you how many families are waiting for the same size apartment at the development where you are on the waiting list. After waiting two years without being called for an apartment, you may request that your transfer be assigned to another development. You can choose this development from the Interviewer’s Guide to Vacancies which lists developments with greater vacancy rates."

Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Seems your housing assistant is not being helpful he should have at least told you what I just posted to you off their website. It also seems to me he doesn't follow through. Also off their website regarding your rent "
Rent should be no more than 30% of adjusted net income. There are ceiling rent or prescribed rent caps for each apartment size. The adjusted net income is gross income minus prescribed deductions. After checking with your Housing Assistant, if you still think there was an error contact your development Manager. You may request a grievance meeting with the Housing Manager. A copy of the grievance procedure is available at the Management Office. If you still think that there is an error in your rent calculation, you can submit a grievance." Also regarding your housing assistant if you feel he is being rude, mistreating or not representing you correctly you can "Request an appointment to discuss this with your Manager. If you don't get any results, report the matter to your Borough Management Office or call 311." Also off their website. Good luck hope it is helpful.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 PM

One last thing you can calculate your income through the NYCHA rent calculator on their website or take yearly gross income minus 490.00 per child divided by 12 minus 30 percent. If this falls higher then the ceiling rent then you must pay the ceiling rent price for your apartment which if I'm not mistaken 2 bedroom ceiling rent is 725.00.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
bmarin,

You seem knowledgeable about the subject. How do they treat assets in NYCHA? Is it the same 2% added to gross income? Is there an asset cutoff limit?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
First of all, I hope you are able to get through the red tape here and get into a larger apartment. However, if you'd stuck to two kids you wouldn't have this problem. A little family planning goes a long way when money is so tight that you have to live in a NYCHA apartment.

If these kids aren't all yours and are just helping out a relative then I can understand. I support affordable housing in NYC, but its really hard to gain larger public support to continue these programs when people just keep having kids they can't afford and then demand to be accommodated.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 PM

Kefir King,
Interesting question, don't know the answer but I check it out and get back to you. And when you mean asset are you talking about money, stocks and bonds, if you are I think they treat the interest you make as income but again I'm not sure but let me find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City