Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 AM

124 posts, read 219,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I don't hate them. In fact, I'm one of the few that likes the fact that many transplants are moving into the city. That shows that the city isn't completely sliding into ruin, unlike Detroit or Camden.

I rather have them here then these people-http://http://youtu.be/loxul4TTPHk (broken link)
Oh God....Detroit....
Being from Chicago, I'm already taught at birth to hate Detroit. However, I've actually been there and it's disgusting.

That's good though. I don't mind people that're new to my area, I just don't like the trash that's coming in lately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Honestly,
except on this board, I have NEVER run into the term used in everyday speech among New Yorkers. I personally think it is a complete non-issue.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
Hey, I'm not in New York, but I constantly see you guys using "transplants" in a derogatory way. I mean, I'm from the Chicagoland Area so I know what it's like locally, generally not liking and constantly making fun of Wisconsin and Indiana and the people from there. But are the transplants that you guys all hate so much from any one particular area, or just them as a whole generally? I'm just curious, that's all.

^^This is common to these forums; not IRL. I have no qualms with transplants and they are more than welcome to come here as far as I am concerned.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I think there were maybe three members who made 90% of their incessant posts about how much they hated transplants. Consequently, at first glance, it may have seemed like NY CD members were transplant haters when in fact it was just a few idiots shooting off their mouths.

Many of the rest of the posters would probably never even use the term "transplant" and they certainly don't sit around thinking up derogatory thread topics about anyone who is new in town.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
Hey, I'm not in New York, but I constantly see you guys using "transplants" in a derogatory way. I mean, I'm from the Chicagoland Area so I know what it's like locally, generally not liking and constantly making fun of Wisconsin and Indiana and the people from there. But are the transplants that you guys all hate so much from any one particular area, or just them as a whole generally? I'm just curious, that's all.
For some reason Ohio usually stands out. In all honesty.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I have no issues with transplants, either, and have never encountered its use IRL. Most real New Yorkers, by birth, or by relocation, are actually very nice, but can be perceived as rude because we tend to be busy or in a hurry. Many who visit and get lost have found friendly New Yorkers to help them on their way, though there are some rude people who would deliberately give incorrect directions, and perhaps such people would also make comments about transplants IRL. I have never encountered them, so could not say if that would be the case, but as a concept, it's basically a forum construct whereby people attempt to impose their own rules and order, elevating their opinion above someone else's based solely on the geography of birth; and, completely negating that NYC is a dynamic, and ever-changing, city whose predominant culture cannot be owned by any one person/group.

To those who would think that a "native-born" opinion is better, or imposes some sort of status, I laugh and say that, despite my Manhattan birth, it still costs the same for a cup of coffee as it does for everyone else.

Now, I have noted another's accent IRL and started a conversation, or made small talk by saying, "I get the distinct impression that you're not from around here," or something to that effect, which usually results in a conversation about where they're from, and if they are living/visiting the city, etc. Sometimes, people have asked for tips, and in one case, a neighbor with whom I was casually acquainted sent me a plant because I was talking to her family visitors who are from out of town and were staying at her place, and were puzzled as to where to go. I have also walked visitors back to their hotel, and stopped to give detailed directions to people who looked lost, some of whom didn't even ask me for help, but I asked them "Do you need directions?" That's the real New Yorker attitude, not the put-downs and overuse of the word "transplant" as an insult.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I have no issues with transplants, either, and have never encountered its use IRL. Most real New Yorkers, by birth, or by relocation, are actually very nice, but can be perceived as rude because we tend to be busy or in a hurry. Many who visit and get lost have found friendly New Yorkers to help them on their way, though there are some rude people who would deliberately give incorrect directions, and perhaps such people would also make comments about transplants IRL. I have never encountered them, so could not say if that would be the case, but as a concept, it's basically a forum construct whereby people attempt to impose their own rules and order, elevating their opinion above someone else's based solely on the geography of birth; and, completely negating that NYC is a dynamic, and ever-changing, city whose predominant culture cannot be owned by any one person/group.

To those who would think that a "native-born" opinion is better, or imposes some sort of status, I laugh and say that, despite my Manhattan birth, it still costs the same for a cup of coffee as it does for everyone else.

Now, I have noted another's accent IRL and started a conversation, or made small talk by saying, "I get the distinct impression that you're not from around here," or something to that effect, which usually results in a conversation about where they're from, and if they are living/visiting the city, etc. Sometimes, people have asked for tips, and in one case, a neighbor with whom I was casually acquainted sent me a plant because I was talking to her family visitors who are from out of town and were staying at her place, and were puzzled as to where to go. I have also walked visitors back to their hotel, and stopped to give detailed directions to people who looked lost, some of whom didn't even ask me for help, but I asked them "Do you need directions?" That's the real New Yorker attitude, not the put-downs and overuse of the word "transplant" as an insult.

^^Well said and I concur.

Like in any city/state you have the negatives and positives........

Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Edit: I misread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
There often seems to be some kind of twisted perspective on the part of the transplant haters.Many of them seem to hate NYC almost as much as they hate transplants.When they are not talking about the transplants they are talking about getting out of NY...... but they never do.

It's almost as if there is some kind of weird jealousy stemming from the fact that people from outside can come here and be successful and happy .

It's a very complex phenomenon.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There often seems to be some kind of twisted perspective on the part of the transplant haters.Many of them seem to hate NYC almost as much as they hate transplants.When they are not talking about the transplants they are talking about getting out of NY...... but they never do.

It's almost as if there is some kind of weird jealousy stemming from the fact that people from outside can come here and be successful and happy .

It's a very complex phenomenon.
Excellent point. And @ bmwguydc ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City