Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 AM

168 posts, read 523,619 times

Advertisements

Just here to vent because I'm in a bad mood and didn't have time to stop for my morning coffee yet. On the train this AM, and I get hit with the trifecta of subway aggravation (mind you, this train is PACKED). Here goes:

1) The Pole-leaner: Finally find a part of the pole to grab (lol, that's what she said!), only to have one of those pole-leaners think that it's completely appropriate to lean their back against the knuckles of other riders who are holding the pole.

2) The Swayer: Every train has at least one. The guy who refuses to hold on to anything then acts surprised and all apologetic as he goes FLYING into 5 random strangers when the train stops. It's usually all in the name of him being able to read his newspaper or poke at his ipad and drink his coffee at the same time. This morning's swayer knocked pole-leaner's dirty, oily hair into my hand.

3) The backpacker: Another daily rush hour occurrence. The one Appalachian man who is on his way uptown for a hike of the Catskills or something. He's got the giant north face stuffed to the brim with organic granola, and instead of taking the damn thing off and shoving it between his legs, he finds it completely acceptable to repeatedly whack you in the face with it.

The Swayer got a dirty look, the Backpacker got my elbow, but the Pole Leaner, well The ONLY reason I didn't say anything was because I couldn't figure out if she was pregnant or just fat. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that she was just fat. I hate when that happens -- especially when you give up your seat to a fat chick because you think she's with baby.

Anyway, I'm done being cranky. Feel free to add your own top subway grievances below. Have a good day all!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-20-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 AM

169 posts, read 675,457 times
Default Annoyances

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
Just here to vent because I'm in a bad mood and didn't have time to stop for my morning coffee yet. On the train this AM, and I get hit with the trifecta of subway douchebaggery (mind you, this train is PACKED). Here goes:

1) The Pole-leaner: Finally find a part of the pole to grab (lol, that's what she said!), only to have one of those pole-leaners think that it's completely appropriate to lean their back against the knuckles of other riders who are holding the pole.

2) The Swayer: Every train has at least one. The guy who refuses to hold on to anything then acts surprised and all apologetic as he goes FLYING into 5 random strangers when the train stops. It's usually all in the name of him being able to read his newspaper or poke at his ipad and drink his coffee at the same time. This morning's swayer knocked pole-leaner's dirty, oily hair into my hand.

3) The backpacker: Another daily rush hour occurrence. The one Appalachian man who is on his way uptown for a hike of the Catskills or something. He's got the giant north face stuffed to the brim with organic granola, and instead of taking the damn thing off and shoving it between his legs, he finds it completely acceptable to repeatedly whack you in the face with it.

The Swayer got a dirty look, the Backpacker got my elbow, but the Pole Leaner, well The ONLY reason I didn't say anything was because I couldn't figure out if she was pregnant or just fat. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that she was just fat. I hate when that happens -- especially when you give up your seat to a fat chick because you think she's with baby.

Anyway, I'm done being cranky. Feel free to add your own top subway grievances below. Have a good day all!
The Door-Blocker:
They person who refuses to step into the car or at least, turn sideways if the car's moderately crowded to let others in. I intentionally bump or push the guy in for doing stupid $hit like that.

Exit Door crowder (related to 1 above):
I'm guilty of it if i have to get off in 1 or 2 stops but people won't move into the middle of the friggin car - everyone has to be the closest one to the cuz....their stop will come up suddenly?

Always-In-A-Hurry:
1. Let others step out 1st, you don't have to be 1st one on the train by snaking your way around 8 people who are trying to step off the friggin' subway
2. If there are two staircases and general traffic pattern is to use one to go up and the other to go down, don't be an ass and jump into the opposite moving stair case when there's a 2 foot break in traffic, forcing the entire staircase to bunch up and grind to a halt while you're fighting make through 40 people moving in the other direction.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 AM

168 posts, read 523,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenet View Post
Always-In-A-Hurry:
1. Let others step out 1st, you don't have to be 1st one on the train by snaking your way around 8 people who are trying to step off the friggin' subway
2. If there are two staircases and general traffic pattern is to use one to go up and the other to go down, don't be an ass and jump into the opposite moving stair case when there's a 2 foot break in traffic, forcing the entire staircase to bunch up and grind to a halt while you're fighting make through 40 people moving in the other direction.
What are your thoughts on stations where there is only 1 staircase. In the AM, at crowded stations like Rock Center, exiting passengers innudate the staircase on both sides, so it's impossible for anyone upstairs to run down to catch the train. I always want to be polite and move out of the way, but lately I'm like f it, they're not gonna catch that thing anyway.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
More subway annoyances:

The person eating something messy and dropping food, sauce and trash on the subway floor.

The mother with the HUGE stroller taking up the entire walkway in the subway car so no one can walk by her.

The poor, down-and-out beggar (strung out addict with no teeth) yelling his or her story about needing money for his or her starving kids (yeah, right) for the entire subway ride.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
The station I get out for work every morning, almost 90% of the crowded car gets out at the same stop. I love the newbie on the train that doesn't know this, and frantically tries to squeeze their way towards the door as we're nearing the stop. Um, everyone is getting off. You don't need to panic!!

Loud talkers on the train. Especially when their conversation is at a 12 year old level and not remotely interesting.

The agile young men that quickly steal seats before the elderly and pregnant reach them. I've seen several times a 8+ month pregnant woman struggling to stand when no one will get up for her. Also the same with elderly. One poor lady had to ask three people to please let her sit because she didn't feel well before someone let her take their seat.

Also the obese that take up enough room on a seat that normally 2.5 people could sit on.

The people that throw their trash on the floor without a care.

The others that bug me have really been covered

Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Default Some more..

The Fingernail/Toenail clipper. (Yes, Toenails.)

The person who puts thier foot up on the seat just inches away from your pants.

The person who reads your paper next to you..Then gives you a dirty look when you turn the page.

The staring, George Romero zombie across the other seat.

The guy who has not used deoderant since the Clinton administration.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times
Default Subway annoyances

Crowded Rush Hour Trains = All trains packed door to door and people still try to get on it. I am trying to find a carpool to avoid taking a rush hr AM train.

Singers, Candy Business Kids, Preachers, Hip hop dancers = I don't care for them.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
Crowded Rush Hour Trains = All trains packed door to door and people still try to get on it. I am trying to find a carpool to avoid taking a rush hr AM train.

Singers, Candy Business Kids, Preachers, Hip hop dancers = I don't care for them.

Agreed. Except for this one guy on the Brooklyn bound Q line. He wears a fedora, And plays guitar, Classic rock songs like Beatles, Pink Floyd etc. Actually looks like Kurt Cobain, God rest his soul. He is very good and I always give a dollar or too. I know some say I shouldn't but as a music lover esp rock I like the show. I will not give any money to the guy on the same subway line who plays a guitar on ONE chord and mumbles.

The rush hour trains are uncomfortable indeed.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM

39 posts, read 77,103 times
The Bum: The guy who manages to completely clear out the entire half of the train car hes in.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
What about this guy?

Earth Angel - Crazy man in NYC Subway (Part 1) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City