Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:09 PM

593 posts, read 893,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
LOL... gotta agree with the rest of the people though... I dont know if you've ever lived in the sixth floor of a building that has no elevator but having a friend of mine who lives in the 5th floor of a walk-up it definitely makes me think twice before I go to his place... I think that if you have never done it you really aren't equipped to call anyone lazy...
I tend to agree. I would probably normally not mind going up to the sixth floor. It would be a great substitute to going to a gym. But it's not just once a day. It would be a couple of times at least if you want to go out or go get grocery. And there WILL be times when you are too tired or drunk or sick or have too much stuff to want to climb to the sixth floor, but you still HAVE to do it because you have no choice (I don't think that's being lazy). I think what you feel/experience during those times will stick in your mind, rather than the times you don't mind it.

For me personally, I don't mind the 2nd floor (if the laundry facility is in the basement) and not mind 3rd floor, either (if there is washer and dryer in my unit). But if I have a dog who needs to be walked a few times a day (I do have a dog), I won't even want to live on the 2nd floor. That's too much. But if I was 20 something, I might have felt differently though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
I live in a 6 floor walk up and I'm fine with it. Yes, it's tough during laundry days, or when you forget something and have to run back upstairs. It does make you think twice before leaving the house. I've been living there for about a month now and it's not that bad. I am in pretty good shape though and still go to the gym frequently. Stairs are no substitute for the gym, as everyone keeps pointing out.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I can't live in a building without an elevator period. They put in a new elevator in my building 2 years ago and I live on the 5th floor. I had to walk up and down for 6 weeks. It sucked.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-31-2011, 05:08 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I live on the 3rd floor and it's starting to wear on me. Sure it's not bad, but I miss the convenience of an elevator. I have a friend who lives on a 5th floor and I try to keep visits minimal.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I can't live in a building without an elevator period. They put in a new elevator in my building 2 years ago and I live on the 5th floor. I had to walk up and down for 6 weeks. It sucked.
going through that now - they are modernizing our elevators - it stinks, but I have a baby, a bad back and a bad leg, so the walk up is very hard on me.

Now in college I lived in a 5 floor walk up on 14th St, & it wasn't too cool( i was 19) - I went out a lot, so coming home at night I was always worried who was hangin' in the stair case (dont know if thats a factor) If you're sick, or have a lot of groceries it can suck.
Also as others have pointed out, you will get BANGED to have your stuff moved in.
Oh, FYI, no take out guys will come up the stairs LOL - its the little things you dont think of till youre starving

But im an old lady now, I carry a child, a stroller & a weighty bag of mommy crap w/ me everywhere I go, so an elevator is a must now. When i was in "good shape": I drank on the weekends and had a ton of art supplies as I went to class, so it was pretty crappy to lug paint up the stairs, needless to say I moved ASAP.

But if you can do it, and remember anyone you take to your place is going to have to ascend the stairs as well (old folks, partners, friends, etc) think about it, Some have the heart for it. Im weak

Old 10-31-2011, 06:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
I used to live on the 11th floor of a 20-story building in Brighton Beach and my dad and I used to go climbing the stairs for exercise fairly regularly. Then again, I was a little kid at that time.

If I had to, I'd live on the 10th floor of a walk-up, but either the area would have to be very good, the apartment would have to be large, or the rent would have to be cheaper than the rent on a lower floor. I mean, as long as I didn't have a ton of groceries or I went out drinking or something (which I don't like alcohol anyway), it wouldn't be a problem.

But luckily, I'm under 18 and don't have to make these decisions.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:02 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I live in a 6 floor walk up and I'm fine with it. Yes, it's tough during laundry days, or when you forget something and have to run back upstairs. It does make you think twice before leaving the house. I've been living there for about a month now and it's not that bad. I am in pretty good shape though and still go to the gym frequently. Stairs are no substitute for the gym, as everyone keeps pointing out.
Damn, as healthy as I am and as much as I like to walk.........doing 6 flights several times a day would get old within a day. On laundry day, the laundry would have to sit because that's just to much to carry up and down 6 flights.

I guess according to the other poster, i'm lazy. So be it.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:04 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I used to live on the 11th floor of a 20-story building in Brighton Beach and my dad and I used to go climbing the stairs for exercise fairly regularly. Then again, I was a little kid at that time.

If I had to, I'd live on the 10th floor of a walk-up, but either the area would have to be very good, the apartment would have to be large, or the rent would have to be cheaper than the rent on a lower floor. I mean, as long as I didn't have a ton of groceries or I went out drinking or something (which I don't like alcohol anyway), it wouldn't be a problem.

But luckily, I'm under 18 and don't have to make these decisions.
That would suck to carry a bike up/down 10 flights or even 6 flights.

Hydrolic elevators were created for a reason and they were created to make life easier.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 PM

241 posts, read 591,515 times
3 flights.

I don't think there is "perfect" for me apartment if it involves excessive inconvenience

I live on the 6th floor now with elevator. And from time to time, I would choose to volunteer go up and down because I feel like it. But to HAVE to do it every day. When I'm tired. When I hurt myself. When I'm sick. When I need to carry stuff. I don't know...

Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
If memory serves there's a couple reasons why we don't have walk-ups over 6 floors.

1) Natural water pressure from the reservoirs at a higher elevation will push water all the way up to 6 floors. Any higher and you need a water tower or a pump. Back in the 1930s this was enough reason to build small, I guess.

2) For any building over 5-6 stories building code requires an elevator (and a water pump or tower).

Anyway, I lived on the 6th floor once. It sucked balls.

Grocery shopping and laundry was a PITA, it's one thing to haul one's own ass up the stairs, imagine carrying 30lbs of stuff. Let's just say you don't buy soda very often or do large grocery shopping trips. Summertime is nasty, you'll get a wicked case of swamp a$$ just getting to your front door. Delivery boys whine like babies and won't carry your crap up the stairs because they know better. Some of them think they're smarter than they are and will claim they can't come up the stairs because the door buzzer is broken and the downstairs doors won't unlock. The correct answer is "Don't make me come down there, because if I do my wife and I will test the doorbell. If it works, I am going to kick your a$$ and refuse delivery." the response from the delivery guy usually is "Oh, look at that. The door works now, I will be right up!!!"

It also costs a LOT of money when you buy furniture and have it delivered, you have to pay extra to have it carried up the stairs to your door.

The upside: it will keep your flabby behind in shape.

Last edited by Alkonost; 11-01-2011 at 12:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City