Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 16,061 times

Advertisements

In 2010 The Gowanus Canal was put on a Superfund National Priorities List by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Does anyone have news or updates as to the progression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:42 PM

243 posts, read 1,333,967 times
Sources say that the water from the canal is now going to be bottled and sold under the name 'Gowanus Spring.' They are going to put a picture of a pine tree on the label , so I'm sure that means the water is safe to drink.

Look out Poland Spring , NY is taking over!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I don't know where they started work on this site as of yet, I pass the Canal almost every day, and yet see nothing. They claim it is going to take about 10 years, and the water will still not be promised that great.

I think they should have re-routed the sewers that drain into the canal from the sewerage plants, that would solve the raw sewerage problem, thus making the canal contaminated. that doesn't really take rocket science to figure out.

I think after all these decades of neglect, now in the year 2012 it is so beyond clean that it will take millions of the City's dollars to repair it. I personally think they should just dam the canal, drain it at the mouth, and then just fill it in, plant grass and trees or just let Mother Nature let whatever grows there, grow...she know what to do. It would actually be nice for just natural greenery for a change, without every morsel of land having to have luxury condos on it.

While the idea of having a canal through the neighborhood is nice, since it is a dead end at Butler Street, there is never a flow of clean water entering it, thus making it stagnant. They are doing a flushing tunnel as we speak, but this has been done before, I have no faith in it.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
Sources say that the water from the canal is now going to be bottled and sold under the name 'Gowanus Spring.' They are going to put a picture of a pine tree on the label , so I'm sure that means the water is safe to drink.

Look out Poland Spring , NY is taking over!
Careful,
A girlfriend of mine will rush out and buy 4 gallons. (Her week's supply) as she loudly proclaims: "I'd NEVER drink tap water."
She buys her "plastic" water from Food Emporium so she assumes it comes from some pure spring sprouting from the base of Mount Oympus. After all Food Emporium would NEVER put NYC tap water into bottles and sell it as PURE, even WITH a 100,000% markup.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM

10 posts, read 12,918 times
Possibly nice to live in such beautiful surroundings for a while but what happens when one isn't allowed to drive????

Places like that don't have public transportation.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 12,918 times
The Gowanus Canal has been worked on for more than 20 years by someone or some agency and not much has been accomplished except areas are now fenced off. These areas are cleared of undergrowth every once in a while but I've not seen any clean-up happening.

I must say that even on hot and humid days the water doesn't smell as "sweetly" as it once did. Can that be considered a clean-up success or is that because it's not so easy to dump any and everything into the Canal?

Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 AM

RELATED COMPANIES will buid a string of high rise rentals and every apartment will include a free pair of hip-books (neoprene, natch...the poisons rot rubber) for each resident.

Perhaps Trump will put up TRUMP IPECAC TOWERS.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
You don't see anything being done because all of the work is currently going on underground. They're digging tunnels under Carroll Gardens to connect the Gowanus to New York Harbor to help flush out the canal. There was actually a story just the other day about one of the tunnels under construction destabilizing a building on the Columbia Street Waterfront that caused a wall to collapse (no one was hurt; it was a poultry slaughterhouse).

Once the tunnels are finished, I think you'll see more obvious activity. The next step after the tunnels is to begin dredging. However, the timeline for completion of the clean-up runs through 2020, I think, so it's not going to be ready for swimming any time soon, heh.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
no one was hurt; it was a poultry slaughterhouse)
Gotta wonder where the poultry slaughterhouse is discharging its wastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City