Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scratch View Post
Do you read the news? Even the lamestream media is unambiguous about what is coming. Things are brought into even starker relief if you dig deeper and research PEAK OIL, AGENDA 21, and THE INFLUENCE OF THE OCCULT ON PEOPLE IN HIGH PLACES.
i hear the news all day but to tell you the truth i turn most of the noise out. always did and always will. like water all markets have a way of working themselves out eventually and seeking the right level not based on the daily news but on the long long term events as they actually play out. any financial moves i make are like steering a big ship gently nudging it in the direction of the big picture.

no good or success ever comes from beliving the only outcome that can happen is the one inside your own head.

reminds me of the endless threads we had before qe2 ended . bill gross was dumping treasuries and even shorting them, rates the gurus said will soar when qe2 ended.

i was considered a nut case on most of the threads because i kept saying when qe2 ends we can see rates fall and i listed my reasons.

well needless to say the gurus,the bloggers and the talking heads were all wrong. even bill gross admitted he made a very bad mis-calculation.

im no genius at all with this stuff ,but im smart enought to know despite what the evidence now shows,dont bet the ranch on it,odds are you will be wrong.

my financial planning doesnt rule out uncertainty it plans for it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-02-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM

37 posts, read 51,457 times
Good, I mean that sincerely.

But I suspect a lot of what you consider noise I consider signal.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:36 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
then do what you gotta do and hope your right.

one of my favorite sayings is it isnt what we know that gets us in trouble usually, its what we know that aint so.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Good, I mean that sincerely.

But I suspect a lot of what you consider noise I consider signal.
If all of this is such a big concern to you, then why haven't you sold and moved?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Read the whole thread.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Read the whole thread.
I read the whole thread and don't see where you ever answered that question -- why are you not selling TODAY if you are predicting this kind of doomsday for your investment?

You never provided a solid reason.

Sell it, then rent a place to live in, and if you decide you want to stay forever, you can buy a similar apartment in your neighborhood for 80K... since that is what you are predicting the value will drop to.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:46 PM

To repeat myself whether or not to rent would require knowledge of the exact degree to which corrective devaluation will occur and I do not have this knowledge. I suspect though I got in on the pyramid scheme early, and will not loose as much value as those poor souls who bought in the 00s, I still payed more for my house than it was worth, or will ever be worth again.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
To repeat myself whether or not to rent would require knowledge of the exact degree to which corrective devaluation will occur and I do not have this knowledge. I suspect though I got in on the pyramid scheme early, and will not loose as much value as those poor souls who bought in the 00s, I still payed more for my house than it was worth, or will ever be worth again.
So you have no interest in moving? Yet you think that everything is going to collapse and it will be worth nothing? Yet you will probably fair okay regardless of what will happen? Sounds like you don't have that much to worry about...and I think when suggested you should move, why are you living in NYC still if you think it is a pyramid scheme?

I am confused on your point will all of this.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Well I'll do okay financially, other than not being able to move, but the real question is how close to anarchy will things slide, and how much anarchy am I willing to accept at my age?

Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Well I'll do okay financially, other than not being able to move, but the real question is how close to anarchy will things slide, and how much anarchy am I willing to accept at my age?
So you will do fine, yet have shown no real interest in moving, so I don't see what your issue with all of this is? As for "anarchy'" what is your idea of anarchy? Are you expecting people to start torching buildings or something, or is it more like people will be stuck with bad mortgages and there might be foreclosures in your area?

And again, if this is something you can't handle, then why would you want to stay where you are? Why not move to someplace better for you or a city you would feel more comfortable in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City