Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,220 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in the Bed-Stuy Historic District and LOVE it here! Just look for the blocks with brown signs and you will fall in love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,490 times
Default Brevoort Place in Bed Stuy?

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting my question, but here it goes:

My husband and I are looking into moving to Brevoort Place, just off of Bedford Ave, a block south of Fulton. I am a 31-yr old female and would be taking the train back from work at night. I've walked around there around that time and it generally feel ok on Fulton, but the Brevoort block (from Franklin to Bedford) seems a little sketchy. I'd really appreciate any input from anybody who knows that area.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I always find these jib-jabs about Bed-Stuy to be so very counter productive.

To the OP, please feel free to direct message me if you're interested in more specifics about living in this particular area. I did a lot of researching before I made the move.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM

44 posts, read 142,558 times
Add me to the list of people looking for block advice in Bed-Stuy. Can some of the neighborhood experts here give me your thoughts on Halsey St, between Throop and Marcus Garvey/Sumner? My wife and I are thinking of buying an apartment there, closer to the corner of Marcus Garvey.

I lived for 10 years in East Williamsburg/Bushwick, off the Montrose stop on the L, and across the street from some housing projects. In general, that block in Bed-Stuy seems safer, and certainly much prettier. Other than the basics (watching your back, not coming home alone really late at night, etc), would you guys say that that street is relatively ok?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanus_superbus View Post
Add me to the list of people looking for block advice in Bed-Stuy. Can some of the neighborhood experts here give me your thoughts on Halsey St, between Throop and Marcus Garvey/Sumner? My wife and I are thinking of buying an apartment there, closer to the corner of Marcus Garvey.
Much of that area is landmarked and the homes are implacably maintained by the owners. I visited a few of the homes there during a recent brownstone tour (got to see the inside of the homes- nothing short of amazing). Many, many new and popular business coming up along Lewis and Marcus Garvey. I walked from my place, which is several blocks west of that area, to brunch at Beso several weeks ago and then to brunch at Peaches the following week. I have also shopped in that area at the wine store and the antique stores. All around pleasant experiences. Things get decidedly "hood" as you walk north though- like by Madison/Monroe/Gates. It's nothing glaring either, just a subtleties that you can pick up on as you're walking around. I noticed this when I walked from Peaches to the bus stop up on Gates since I was too tired and lazy to walk all the way back to my place. What's interesting is that on one of my visits over there I stopped at Brooklyn Swirl (a frozen yogurt place, yes, in Bed Stuy) and was chatting it up with someone who owns a building or two in the area. He was talking about how they'd like to build up Marcus Garvey like Lewis with all the business but in the same breath made a joke about how north of a certain point, it's still too "hood" (the exact comment was "well, not all the way up Garvey".

Since you are buying, it's good to know where things are now but also where they are headed- so keep that in mind as you're making your decision.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:05 PM

44 posts, read 142,558 times
jad2k, thanks for the response--I'd read through these posts, and was hoping you'd give your input. Much appreciated it...fingers crossed now about whether it comes through or not.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,835 times
Can someone please tell me how is Lewis/Brainbridge, in terms of safety day and night and getting to the train to the city... I am visiting for four days my husband and I we are staying in a rental on that street, I am from California and have stayed some NOT so good areas if Inglewood, but after reading all the reviews I am thinking twice..and the only reason I choose this area is because we wanted to be close to the train and the rental apartment is new and renovated and the PRICE I know you get what you pay for right?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
bed-stuy is a done deal. the vampires are officially in the vicinity.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
bed-stuy is a done deal. the vampires are officially in the vicinity.
What do you mean by vampire? Those living there on public assistance?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy77777 View Post
Can someone please tell me how is Lewis/Brainbridge, in terms of safety day and night and getting to the train to the city... I am visiting for four days my husband and I we are staying in a rental on that street, I am from California and have stayed some NOT so good areas if Inglewood, but after reading all the reviews I am thinking twice..and the only reason I choose this area is because we wanted to be close to the train and the rental apartment is new and renovated and the PRICE I know you get what you pay for right?
You are 2 blocks to the A train at Utica ave. You will be OK, just use common sense street smarts. Dont flash money or electronics. Act/look like you belong there. BTW if you dont mind me asking how much are you paying for your apartment? I know the area well. Feel free to DM me.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy77777 View Post
It's Stuy Heights. It's fine. I believe janus_superbus lives over in that section. He/she can fill you in on the subway stop in that section since anytime I'm over on Lewis I walk or bike from my place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City