Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times

Advertisements

I passed by the metro north station in Wakefield yesterday and I saw that it was renovated, very clean. New seats for waiting commuters, new signs, graffiti was painted over, and the next stop Woodlawn was dirtier!! Whats going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Club...it was recently cleaned up..the real test is how long it stays that way.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Club...it was recently cleaned up..the real test is how long it stays that way.
Oh. Thank you for clearing that up. I thought that Wakefield was being pumped with funds and was next in line for a gentrification front

Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
The MTA has been, thankfully, fixing up a lot of stations up in the Bronx recently. A lot of the stations along the 4 have been completley rehabbed over the past couple of months. If you ask me this was long overdue.

I'd say a good 2/3rds of the subway stations in the city need to be completley redone, but the MTA seems to be slowly working at the problem. At least they are doing something, I guess.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Oh, by the way, has anyone seen the new Shuttle? Each car is painted with a background; one car felt like you were in an aquarium and another was a jungle and so on. Has anyone seen this? I think the MTA should do that for the new T line (along 2nd Ave)

Old 09-06-2007, 10:07 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Unfortunately the locals quickly mess them up. The stations on the 5 line were the first in the Bronx to be renovated. They are starting to look like **** again...

As for Woodlawn and Wakefield. Messed up how the working/middle class area is recieving renovations AFTER the working/lower income neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:44 AM

81 posts, read 615,749 times
It's been over 12 years, but when I lived there it was decent. I had one apartment in a private home on Monticello Ave. and another one on Wickham Ave. Both locations were nice and quiet. Reminded me somewhat of Long Island, where I had lived for most of my childhood. The area was and probably still is predominately West Indian. They kept the neighborhood and streets very clean, considering there is no alternate side of the street parking/street cleaning.

Communiting to NYC wasn't easy though. The areas around the White Plains Rd and Dyre Ave. train stations are sketchy. I use to take the "dollar van" to White Plains Rd and hop on an Express Bus to Manhattan, so that never bothered me. In some cases if I was really running late, I'd take the Metro North from Woodlawn.

Overall, it was a decent, safe, and quiet neighborhood. I can't speak for the surrouding areas like around the Edenwald projects, etc. I didn't go in those areas.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Yeah I agree, but in all honesty stations like Woodlawn aren't in such bad shape at the moment. They could slap a coat of paint onto the outside of the building to fix it up, but the inside is actually pretty decent by subway standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Unfortunately the locals quickly mess them up. The stations on the 5 line were the first in the Bronx to be renovated. They are starting to look like **** again...

As for Woodlawn and Wakefield. Messed up how the working/middle class area is recieving renovations AFTER the working/lower income neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:13 PM

435 posts, read 1,521,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post

I say the same thing when someone ******* about why the MTA system is dirtier than European systems. When you serve the ghetto, things turn to **** quickly.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Yeah but that doesn't explain why subway stations in ritzy areas of Manhattan look trashy and are falling apart. You can only blame so much on ghetto people, the rest of the fault belongs to lazyness & corruption at the MTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
I say the same thing when someone ******* about why the MTA system is dirtier than European systems. When you serve the ghetto, things turn to **** quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City