Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM

100 posts, read 248,754 times

Advertisements

You can be a victim of a crime in ANY socioeconomic neighborhood. Higher end neighborhoods are more subject to property crime (burglary, larceny/theft, auto crime) while lower end neighborhoods have more drug related crime (robberies/assaults). I've lived in Flushing, Corona, and Fresh Meadows and the only place I experienced "crime" was in the upper class area of Fresh Meadows (bicycle stolen from garage, GPS stolen from car in driveway, and rims stolen from car). New York is a tough town you might need to "grow a set" in order to ride the subway, fight for parking, wait in line at store, etc. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM

66 posts, read 181,073 times
As I mentioned before, I lived right at 48th & Broadway for a few years. It's very safe there. The projects are no big deal, and the crime never involved anyone who is not involved in something. It's too hot (too much police presence) for them to want to do anything. I know because I have friends who still live IN the Woodside Housing Projects. Wherever there's people living in poverty (in every city across the world) there will be drug dealers and drug busts, etc. etc. But as far as violent crime, murders, shootings, etc. Woodside Housing doesn't have any of those things going on with any type of regularity. Last year there were the same amount of gun crimes in the West Village as woodside housing.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,773 times
I live close; on 45 St and Broadway, and yes the 46st station is safe.
I rarely go close the projects, but as others have said here, they are not as bad as other NYC projects. I think you should be fine.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 AM

75 posts, read 146,167 times
I garaduated from Bryant in 1988 and thought it wasn't safe then. I lived near there.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 59,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Queens North in general is a low crime area (except a few parts of Long Island City).
Mind if I ask which parts of Long Island City are you referring to?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnzFinest View Post
Mind if I ask which parts of Long Island City are you referring to?
Queensbridge and Ravenswood

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 PM

18 posts, read 67,288 times
Woodside is Nice.
Bland is pretty decent.
Latimer Gardens is nice.

Only slightly bad project around there is Pomonok. Pomonok is crappy AF now. drug dealers, and alot of Blood and Crip gang members. cant compare to Far Rock, Southside or QB. But its not that good.

Id say Pomonok is worse then Ravenswood, Astoria, or Woodside.

Worst in Queens would be 40projects, edgemere, hammel, redfern, and basiley.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 PM

and im from Hammel Projects-Far Rockaway. or really, Rockaway Park.

Now thats a tough ass projects.

Pomonok still aint that good though, got family members there. its gotten much worse.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayek View Post
I am considering moving from UWS Manhattan to Woodside Queens, 30th Ave and 49th Street. I know William C Bryant high school is nearby and the Woodside Houses project. I remember hearing about a major drug bust there. Is the area safe? The apartment is one avenue away from the project. I hear horror stories of drugs, theft and crime. 30th Ave seems nice and residential but I do not know Queens at all. Have young son and will need to go to Manhattan at night. Is the R train safe at 46th street? I know it only runs til 11pm. Safety is a major issue. Should I avoid this apartment? A 1 bedroom for $1200 seems very reasonable. Please reply if you know the area. Thank you [LEFT]
[/LEFT]
For NYC it is a relatively safe area. BTW, after R stops running at night, the E express becomes local so there is always service at that subway station.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 PM

Worst in QueensThese Projects suck, and should be avoided mostly)

Edgemere-Still Gang/Crime Ridden. AVOID.

Redfern- also in Far Rock. AVOID. even though it has calmed down a bit. Where Stack Bundles, a semi-Famous rapper, was shot and killed in 2007.

Beach41st-another Far Rock housing project. AVOID.

40projects-Southside-Bad Area, AVOID. aka South Jamaica Houses.

Good Ones in Queens: (Best Projects in Queens. Have some crime here and there, but are mostly calm and safe)

Bland Houses-Blood gang presence, some incidents here and there, pretty safe. Overall, Its good.

Woodside Houses- Heavy Crip Presence, nothing really goes on. Safe. Overall, its very good.

Ravenswood Houses-Nothing really goes on. Pretty safe, but it Is near Queensbridge. Overall, Its Good.

Astoria Houses- Not too many shootings or problems in the area. Overall, its good.

Latimer Gardens-One of the best NYCHA projects. Good area, Some blood gang members and prostitution. Overall its still great for a projects.

In Between Ones(More Crime/Dangerous then the Good Ones, But Less Crime then the Worst Ones)

Hammel Houses-Gets a bad rep for being in Rockaway, but area aint that bad, Project itself is not that terrible, but not great. ALOT of Gangs, Drugs, and frequent gunshots/shootings. but not as bad as some other Far Rock ones.
The worst of the ''In-Between Ones'', still, Not Terrible, Not that Great.

Pomonok Houses-Went way downhill from what it used to be. ALOT of drug dealers and gangs in broad daylight flagging(bloods and crips) and more shootings now. still not one of the worst. surrounded by commerce, and heavy police presence around the area is good. Not Terrible, Not Great. Surrounding Co-Op ''Electchester'' also going downhill a bit.

Queensbridge-DEF not as bad as it once was, still not that great. ALOT of drugs and some gangs. Not Terrible, Not Great.

Carleton Manor-Not that bad, but surrounded by worse projects, drag it down. Still alot of drugs/gangs. pretty decent. especially for Far Rock. Surrounding area isnt that good.

Arverne Houses-Near Edgemere, but Overall, its Not Terrible, and Not Great.
Area isn't that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City