Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Of course New Yorkers don't make up the rudest city in the United States. Travel & Leisure probably isn't getting a sufficient cut of the tourist trade, and so they're taking it out on the city. (In response, I won't subscribe to their publication. Call my hometown names and you don't get any of my money. I hope they're happy).

But I'll tell you one instance where this native New Yorker qualifies as rude: when I get unsolicited telephone calls asking for "contributions" to some cause or other. I've got an unlisted number, and I'll tell you straight up that I don't react well at all to those kinds of calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM

175 posts, read 353,148 times
We're not rude, we just hate Travel & Leisure magazine.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You need to ask yourself when visiting nyc or moving to nyc are you guys and gals are around everyday typical new yorkers or around many people who moved to nyc from other homogeneous American hell holes?
I think you're proving the articles point in your defense of NY's non rudeness.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM

46 posts, read 57,645 times
"I'm in a rush" is just an excuse and a cover up for their lack of class. New Yorkers act like that when their going somewhere, they act like that when they've arrived in their destination, and they still act the same way when they have nowhere to go and nothing to do (in a realxed mode). You see, that's not a "New York attitude", New Yorkers are just raised and taught to be rude and disrespectful by savages like themselves which is why they are the way they are. That is why people in the southern states like Texas and Florida (especially Florida <3) complain when the NYers move down there. They keep that same attitude and mentality because it's what was taught to them as little kids. And the people who move there (to NY) adopt those ways because they think that's the way to be in NY. Here's proof that NYers are just idiots and are not "in a rush" as they commonly say:

Example 1: A kid on a train has been crying for the whole ride and a grown ass bigot in his mid 50s yells out "SHUT THE F--- UP YOU D---HEAD" to the poor child.
Now obviously the man can't be in a rush if he's on the train, he just has to wait for it to arrive to his stop. So obviously, that excuse is out of the question.
By the way, it just disgusts me that a lot of the adults lack basic communication skills. When you're an adult, it's embarrassing to say things such as "I don't know you, don't talk to me" or "You look so stupid in that dress". I thought they were supposed to be much more mature than that and now I see why my peers and the younger ones are that way.

Example 2: Cece drops her wallet, a nice tourist picks it up and hands it to her politely and she just snatches, tells him to move and keeps walking. These idiots seem to think saying things such as "Thank you" or "Excuse me" is a waste of time. You don't have to stare at the person for 5 minutes just to say a simple thing like that. Just simply thank them while you're walking away. It takes one second. It's not gonna kill you. Or like if someone's in your way, isn't it much quicker and easier (considering you're "in a rush" like always claimed) to say "Excuse me" than to say "Get the f--- out of my way you moron"? Plus, that just calls for an altercation and now you have to stop and argue which takes up EVEN more time. This shows that NYers lack common sense.

Example 3: The children.
The best one yet. The way they act is just a reflection of whoever's raising them. Whenever I try to talk to a New York kid, their response is to ignore, pull away, and say something nasty like "Go away you poopie-head. I don't want to talk to you." Now I know this is helpful when it comes to strangers, but it's still not acceptable.
I worked at a daycamp last summer and before the season starts, they give us a list of fears, allergies, and any problems the kid has. One of the kids had (and probably still does) a fear of "new people". That's retarded. Her mom most likely doesn't take her out and she teaches her to be avoidant. There's a difference between that and just being shy. She will definitely grow up to be a very close-minded individual like the typical New Yorker.

Example 4: Did you any of you hear about that incident when the guy was protecting this woman form some psycho trying to stab her and the hero was the one who ended up getting stabbed? He layed there for about two hours bleeding to death, no one called the police but actually stood there and watched like it was a movie and some managed to take pictures with their phones. STOP RIGHT THERE! You're telling me you don't have the time to TAKE OUT YOUR PHONE and call 911 but you can TAKE OUT YOUR PHONE to snap photos?! Again, the "I'm in a rush" is a played out excuse and this is another example of how New Yorkers lack common sense.

They say it's being fake but to tell you the truth, New Yorkers ARE the fakest and most two-faced people I have ever come across. A lot of them don't really have an identity so they do whatever it takes to fit in and become another tool of society and they lack originality and have no taste in anything.. Saying "Hello" and smiling at someone isn't being fake. Hugging and kissing everyone you see, jumping on them, and overreacting when you see them IS being fake however, walking around and randomly insulting people isn't being real either, that's just being an *******.

Okay, you can rest your eyes now and take a breath. Lol. I know it was long. I can write a whole book on why I dislike New Yorkers.
-Coming from a 17 year old native New Yorker herself

Last edited by iblinked182times; 02-22-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
It's not that New Yorkers are rude, it's that they're brazen and upfront. If anything, it's a misunderstood trait that can easily come off the wrong way, but I appreciate it. There's no bull, no fakeness (hear that Southern hospitality?) etc. Sure, New Yorkers will do whatever they can to succeed, but that's survival, nothing more, nothing less. If you don't like it, then NYC isn't the place for you.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iblinked182times View Post
"I'm in a rush" is just an excuse and a cover up for their lack of class. New Yorkers act like that when their going somewhere, they act like that when they've arrived in their destination, and they still act the same way when they have nowhere to go and nothing to do (in a realxed mode). You see, that's not a "New York attitude", New Yorkers are just raised and taught to be rude and disrespectful by savages like themselves which is why they are the way they are. That is why people in the southern states like Texas and Florida (especially Florida <3) complain when the NYers move down there. They keep that same attitude and mentality because it's what was taught to them as little kids. And the people who move there (to NY) adopt those ways because they think that's the way to be in NY. Here's proof that NYers are just idiots and are not "in a rush" as they commonly say:

Example 1: A kid on a train has been crying for the whole ride and a grown ass bigot in his mid 50s yells out "SHUT THE F--- UP YOU D---HEAD" to the poor child.
Now obviously the man can't be in a rush if he's on the train, he just has to wait for it to arrive to his stop. So obviously, that excuse is out of the question.
By the way, it just disgusts me that a lot of the adults lack basic communication skills. When you're an adult, it's embarrassing to say things such as "I don't know you, don't talk to me" or "You look so stupid in that dress". I thought they were supposed to be much more mature than that and now I see why my peers and the younger ones are that way.

Example 2: Cece drops her wallet, a nice tourist picks it up and hands it to her politely and she just snatches, tells him to move and keeps walking. These idiots seem to think saying things such as "Thank you" or "Excuse me" is a waste of time. You don't have to stare at the person for 5 minutes just to say a simple thing like that. Just simply thank them while you're walking away. It takes one second. It's not gonna kill you. Or like if someone's in your way, isn't it much quicker and easier (considering you're "in a rush" like always claimed) to say "Excuse me" than to say "Get the f--- out of my way you moron"? Plus, that just calls for an altercation and now you have to stop and argue which takes up EVEN more time. This shows that NYers lack common sense.

The best one yet. The way they act is just a reflection of whoever's raising them. Whenever I try to talk to a New York kid, their response is to ignore, pull away, and say something nasty like "Go away you poopie-head. I don't want to talk to you." Now I know this is helpful when it comes to strangers, but it's still not acceptable.
I worked at a daycamp last summer and before the season starts, they give us a list of fears, allergies, and any problems the kid has. One of the kids had (and probably still does) a fear of "new people". That's retarded. Her mom most likely doesn't take her out and she teaches her to be avoidant. There's a difference between that and just being shy. She will definitely grow up to be a very close-minded individual like the typical New Yorker.

Example 4: Did you any of you hear about that incident when the guy was protecting this woman form some psycho trying to stab her and the hero was the one who ended up getting stabbed? He layed there for about two hours bleeding to death, no one called the police but actually stood there and watched like it was a movie and some managed to take pictures with their phones. STOP RIGHT THERE! You're telling me you don't have the time to TAKE OUT YOUR PHONE and call 911 but you can TAKE OUT YOUR PHONE to snap photos?! Again, the "I'm in a rush" is a played out excuse and this is another example of how New Yorkers lack common sense.

They say it's being fake but to tell you the truth, New Yorkers ARE the fakest and most two-faced people I have ever come across. A lot of them don't really have an identity so they do whatever it takes to fit in and become another tool of society and they lack originality and have no taste in anything.. Saying "Hello" and smiling at someone isn't being fake. Hugging and kissing everyone you see, jumping on them, and overreacting when you see them IS being fake however, walking around and randomly insulting people isn't being real either, that's just being an *******.

Okay, you can rest your eyes now and take a breath. Lol. I know it was long. I can write a whole book on why I dislike New Yorkers.
You summed it all up when you said you were 17. Talk to us when you're like 30 and have been around awhile. Seriously, save this post, put it in your records or journal or something. Come back to us in the year 2025 and you will laugh at how innocent you were. And save your cutesy hearts for someplace else, Florida's economy was hung up on a wet meat hanger some time ago... the fact you think it's the promised land tells me you are just young.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
You summed it all up when you said you were 17. Talk to us when you're like 30 and have been around awhile. Seriously, save this post, put it in your records or journal or something. Come back to us in the year 2025 and you will laugh at how innocent you were. And save your cutesy hearts for someplace else, Florida's economy was hung up on a wet meat hanger some time ago... the fact you think it's the promised land tells me you are just young.
I thought florida was for the old?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 AM

199 posts, read 421,431 times
Travel & Leisure wrote an article. Forty-five times a year some first-time writer will take a similar poll of a sample of cities and it's going to come as a shock that anonymous people polled find us rude? I doubt New York will fall somewhere in the middle or off the radar - every American and most anyone who's seen more than an hour's worth of television in his/her life has an opinion of the city whether that person has been here or not. It's not as though Minot springs to mind when you ask a person about the rudest or friendliest city.

So you have an opinion largely based on stereotype by people who've never been here, or spent their one week in New York at Times Square seven times, trying to hail a taxi, pushing onto a stairway with another 2 000 tourists to watch 'The Lion King', or standing on line for an hour to get up to the observation deck at the Empire State Building. I'm shocked they think ill of us

Let's be clear. On a given day in an hour you would pass hundreds, and likely thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people. Did someone really suggest, "When was the last time someone in NY smiled at you?".. if I'm to smile at half the strangers I come across so that person has a fifty-fifty shot at answering yes to such a survey had they ever passed me, I'd have gone insane. I'm not a T.G.I. Friday's hostess or Little Miss pageant hopeful - you're not getting disingenuous sunshine 16 hours a day. The smiling at everyone and unwarranted interest from strangers that persists as a remnant of the old South is unnatural to many, no one in Europe does this, and from a time when everyone lived quite far from each other and 'going to town' became a big event and impressions were to be made. And, I think, traditions mattered most in keeping the society in check, especially as large parts of the Deep South, chiefly plantation culture, lived in fear of upsetting the social order should the slaves consider a revolt. That doesn't smack me as polite - just, learned behavior, and overtly superficial.

People in Moscow, Paris, London and Tokyo aren't notoriously 'friendly' either, because there are millions of them, interacting with and maneuvering about each other on a daily basis to do anything and everything in their day-to-day lives, and they're mature cities where standards have developed and acceptable social norms work differently than in the rest of the country.

We operate at a different speed. We drive quicker, walk quicker, talk quicker, and are 'on the go' more than people elsewhere. So outsiders think we're rushed. And when we go to other places, yes, we operate a little more quickly, but people from Texas don't speed up all that much around here either. For the younger girl with the hearts for Florida, as much as Floridians complain about NYers moving there, two of every three Floridians are themselves a transplant from elsewhere, the state is 19 times bigger than it was some 80 years ago, so a high percent (95?) have a parent or grandparent in Florida who isn't him or herself born and raised there.. I've lived in Florida too.. as much as anyone they like to complain about anyone not 'from' there, the native sons and daughters and non.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 AM

46 posts, read 57,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Who cares if I'm 17? Lol. The reason it seems as though I'm talking like I'm 30 is because I just happen to be smarter, wiser, and more observative than most people my age and a lot of people older than me such as you.* You seem a bit immatue by saying "save your cutesy hearts..." This is not about what I think of Florida, this is about New Yorkers and their "rudeness". Just because you're older, does not mean you're better.

*Sorry if that sounds conceited but that's really the only way I can say it.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iblinked182times View Post

This reminds me of the incident I posted about earlier when a grown man on the my bus told the lady sitting next to him that her mother was a ***** because she asked him to move over a bit. There is just no excuse for this behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City