Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 AM

402 posts, read 854,167 times

Advertisements

While there certainly is truth to the stereotype, it is overplayed. I haven't so much found explicit rudeness as much as simply non-friendliness. For example if I buy a few things at a drugstore, it will often be a wordless transaction. Is that rude? I don't think so, but it isn't friendly of either of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM

46 posts, read 57,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
It's not that New Yorkers are rude, it's that they're brazen and upfront. If anything, it's a misunderstood trait that can easily come off the wrong way, but I appreciate it. There's no bull, no fakeness (hear that Southern hospitality?) etc. Sure, New Yorkers will do whatever they can to succeed, but that's survival, nothing more, nothing less. If you don't like it, then NYC isn't the place for you.
Brazen means rude! Lol.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
This reminds me of the incident I posted about earlier when a grown man on the my bus told the lady sitting next to him that her mother was a ***** because she asked him to move over a bit. There is just no excuse for this behavior.
Yeah. I was actually going to quote what you and a few others said but I couldn't find your posts or comments. Plus, it was late and I was sleepy. Lol.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
While there certainly is truth to the stereotype, it is overplayed. I haven't so much found explicit rudeness as much as simply non-friendliness. For example if I buy a few things at a drugstore, it will often be a wordless transaction. Is that rude? I don't think so, but it isn't friendly of either of us.
Well that's not rude but it would bother me if they pretended not to see me and just acted as though I'm another object in the universe. See, it's not the "rudeness" that makes me dislike New Yorkers, it's a certain mentality they have.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,572,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iblinked182times View Post
Who cares if I'm 17? Lol. The reason it seems as though I'm talking like I'm 30 is because I just happen to be smarter, wiser, and more observative than most people my age and a lot of people older than me such as you.* You seem a bit immatue by saying "save your cutesy hearts..." This is not about what I think of Florida, this is about New Yorkers and their "rudeness". Just because you're older, does not mean you're better.

*Sorry if that sounds conceited but that's really the only way I can say it.
The more you go on you're just making things worse for yourself. You will come to learn one day all people are sh*t. No matter where they reside. Maybe then you will have respect for people being upfront. Just because Floridians smile at you doesn't mean they actually like you. Enjoy the ignorance of youth while you can. And judging by your spelling I can surely say there is no way you'll ever be as 'good' as me, or the vast majority of the people on this forum.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,508,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
The more you go on you're just making things worse for yourself. You will come to learn one day all people are sh*t. No matter where they reside. Maybe then you will have respect for people being upfront. Just because Floridians smile at you doesn't mean they actually like you. Enjoy the ignorance of youth while you can. And judging by your spelling I can surely say there is no way you'll ever be as 'good' as me, or the vast majority of the people on this forum.
I know that people from other places are perceived as being fake for being nice or polite, and I wonder where that stereotype comes from? I don't automatically assume when someone is nice to me that they are being fake. It's just nice to experience friendliness instead of rudeness.

I know a lot of people here in NYC that like to brag that they are being "real" when it's really just plain rude.

Not trying to challenge what you are saying, just noticed a lot of people comment that because people down south or out west are friendly that they are fake and are stabbing you in the back. It's confusing to me.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,294,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I know that people from other places are perceived as being fake for being nice or polite, and I wonder where that stereotype comes from? I don't automatically assume when someone is nice to me that they are being fake. It's just nice to experience friendliness instead of rudeness.

I know a lot of people here in NYC that like to brag that they are being "real" when it's really just plain rude.

Not trying to challenge what you are saying, just noticed a lot of people comment that because people down south or out west are friendly that they are fake and are stabbing you in the back. It's confusing to me.
It's not confusing once you understand the collective mentality of New Yorkers. Truth is, this city causes many people to become "anti-social" due to the overcrowding, lack of personal space, dominance of brainy/intellectual white collar jobs, colder weather, extreme high cost of living, and the general "hurried" pace of everything. Maybe folks are friendlier out west because you can go the beach year round or enjoy 70 degree winters. Perhaps southerners are more down to earth because everything is so spread out, traffic is nonexistent and the cost of everything is low. In other words, people are gonna become a product of their environment.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,508,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
It's not confusing once you understand the collective mentality of New Yorkers. Truth is, this city causes many people to become "anti-social" due to the overcrowding, lack of personal space, dominance of brainy/intellectual white collar jobs, colder weather, extreme high cost of living, and the general "hurried" pace of everything. Maybe folks are friendlier out west because you can go the beach year round or enjoy 70 degree winters. Perhaps southerners are more down to earth because everything is so spread out, traffic is nonexistent and the cost of everything is low. In other words, people are gonna become a product of their environment.
This makes sense. Good explanation. I know even in my own experience (I am born and raised here) I have become so much less friendly than I used to be, and I don't like it.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 20,621 times
I lived in NY for a year, and absolutely hated it. Cashiers at grocery stores are rude and NY drivers are unbelievable.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,789 times
The few times I've been to NYC, I have encountered very polite people with a lot more hustle. People were incredibly helpful. When I look a bit confused as to where I'm going, I have had people stop and ask ME if I need help. After hearing all of the "rude New Yorker" stereotypes before visiting, I'd have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I really don't need to have a conversation with my cashier. I'm from Oklahoma, (where time seemingly stands still)! The other day I was checking out, and the cashier actually stopped to show me pictures of her new grandchild, and talked on and on about it. I had never met this woman in my life, and while it is very sweet that she is infatuated with her new grandbaby, I had things to do and there was a line behind me. This type of thing happens all the time here, and it can be a pain.

I have to say, I much prefer the no-nonsense, quick-paced attitude of the New Yorker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City