Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I am having an issue with my upstairs neighbor. Several mornings a week she exercises, in which she does some sort of stepping/marching for about an hour long starting about 6 or 7am. She has a wood floor. It is really effecting my sleep as it wakes me up and I am then unable to go back to sleep due to the pounding lasting an hour. I use a sound machine nightly and have tried ear plugs. Unfortunately I do not work a normal 9-5 job. My shifts are always so changing so some nights I get to sleep just a few hours before this happens. I rent from an owner in a co-op building. I have talked to the management office regarding the issue and was told they will handle it, I'm not to go talk to her. They sent her a letter regarding noise, no change. Talked to them again, they sent letter #2. Still having the issue so talked to them again, well she apparently put down an exercise mat but it obviously didn't do anything and told management that and they said sorry. She appears to be a very heavy walker in general because I hear every step she takes and anytime she moves her chair from her desk/table it is dragged on the floor. But that I can get over but the hour long stepping is draining me. Any advice on what to do regarding this situation. I am so tired constantly from her. I love my apt, my building, my location, but for this kind of quality of life issue for the money I pay is not acceptable to me.
Do what I did when I lived in an apt. underneath people with an unacceptable noise level who would not stop it after being talked to. Take a powerful stereo speaker (or 2) and put it right up against the ceiling ... like on a high cabinet or even on a stepladder if you have to ... and blast away. The Time Life Presents: Classical Thunder collection was particularly helpful. They got the hint and adjusted their noise and their attitudes accordingly because they were assured that if they did not, the Classical Thunder would not stop. Funny how all of a sudden, the noise they "couldn't help" was "helped."

Also, is there anything in the rules that people who live in upstairs apartments must have their floors covered with rugs to prevent noise? That used to be a typical rule in apartment living.

If she wants to make noise like it is a pilates, exercise or dance studio, then she should move to one. Or do her loud exercising IN one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do what I did when I lived in an apt. underneath people with an unacceptable noise level who would not stop it after being talked to. Take a powerful stereo speaker (or 2) and put it right up against the ceiling ... like on a high cabinet or even on a stepladder if you have to ... and blast away. The Time Life Presents: Classical Thunder collection was particularly helpful. They got the hint and adjusted their noise and their attitudes accordingly because they were assured that if they did not, the Classical Thunder would not stop. Funny how all of a sudden, the noise they "couldn't help" was "helped."

Also, is there anything in the rules that people who live in upstairs apartments must have their floors covered with rugs to prevent noise? That used to be a typical rule in apartment living.

If she wants to make noise like it is a pilates, exercise or dance studio, then she should move to one. Or do her loud exercising IN one.
I love this. The speakers thing is awesome. Sometimes you just have to fight fire with fire.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I would just go with the good old intimidating curse-out.
Let them know you mean business.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

This.

One year I was living in Borough Park. One particular early Saturday morning, someone decided to blast some old world music. This was insanely early too, like 6am. My boyfriend at the time was not too happy because he worked 4-12 and would get home at 1am. We yelled out the window for them to turn it down which they refused to do for hours. No one else said anything about it either, we were the only ones complaining.

So the next day we got revenge.

We were up around 9am. My boyfriend aimed his radio out the window and proceeded to blast hard rock music. Within minutes we had some old lady banging on the fire escape. We ignored her. The way I saw it, she clearly had no issue with music blasting the day before at 6am, so she had no right to complain about our music at 9am. We didn't know if it was the same woman who blasted it either, but I can tell you no one ever blasted music ever again after that.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
I'm not sure I'd go with the stereo speakers thing yet. If she's a psychobiatch that could make the problem worse and make her think that you're just obnoxious and oversensitive. Before going that route, you could ask a co-op manager (is there anyone on site?) to moderate a test in which a friend of hers pounds away at the machine, while you, the Pilates person, and the manager are in your unit listening to the noise. If she actually hears what it sounds like, maybe that could help. Perhaps a recording of the noise sent to her would be helpful. If you can establish contact with her, perhaps you can offer to troubleshoot noise-reducing options (such as carpet underneath the mat), and maybe show your cooperative spirit by paying for part of the fix. Otherwise, you might look into getting a powerful "white noise" machine that may help mute the pounding noise. And if all else fails and no other options appear, then maybe that's when you can bring in the Violent Femmes on your stereo speakers.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Try Mack's Pillowsoft earplugs. They are made of silicone. If you only tried the foam ones so far, then you definitely need to try these -- and give them a chance (not just one night).

Buy Pillow Soft White 6 pair, Best Earplugs for Sleeping, Loud Noises and Swimming | Macks Earplugs.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Yeah I'm to the point where I'm about to pay for her to join a gym. The stereo idea is funny but I don't want to go that route. I'm not the type to be vindictive. Actually I wonder if it would work because I never hear any tv or music coming from her or my neighbors. Its an old building, around 100 years old so the walls are pretty good.

Henna I will look into those ear plugs, thank you. And yes,
mc33433 I have tried ear plugs many many nights. I have about 30 new ones of them in my apartment but they are the foam ones.

ny_queens_111, I have actually considered making friends with the person above her and seeing if I could go up there at 3am and exercise for an hour then. Maybe if I bring them a nice bottle of wine, they would be down for it :-)

I_Love_LI_but, As far as the rug rule, yes they do have it. I did speak to the management office about that last month. It's a small studio that we both have and with furniture there isn't much floor space left so maybe with the exercise mat she put down it covers whatever percent of the wood must be covered.

I just hate that I feel so angry at this woman. I don't like to complain and like to be respectful of my neighbors. But I have lived in nyc for 14 years in many apartments in many different neighborhoods and never have dealt with this someone so selfish. She obviously knows its bothersome and just doesn't care. I wonder too with her being an owner and me a renter if she just doesn't care and hopes she shoo's me out.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
I gotta tell ya, the thread title left me hoping for something different...

Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Ha I would prefer that because that I bet wouldn't go on for an hour long....

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yeah I'm to the point where I'm about to pay for her to join a gym. The stereo idea is funny but I don't want to go that route. I'm not the type to be vindictive. Actually I wonder if it would work because I never hear any tv or music coming from her or my neighbors. Its an old building, around 100 years old so the walls are pretty good.

Henna I will look into those ear plugs, thank you. And yes,
mc33433 I have tried ear plugs many many nights. I have about 30 new ones of them in my apartment but they are the foam ones.

ny_queens_111, I have actually considered making friends with the person above her and seeing if I could go up there at 3am and exercise for an hour then. Maybe if I bring them a nice bottle of wine, they would be down for it :-)

I_Love_LI_but, As far as the rug rule, yes they do have it. I did speak to the management office about that last month. It's a small studio that we both have and with furniture there isn't much floor space left so maybe with the exercise mat she put down it covers whatever percent of the wood must be covered.

I just hate that I feel so angry at this woman. I don't like to complain and like to be respectful of my neighbors. But I have lived in nyc for 14 years in many apartments in many different neighborhoods and never have dealt with this someone so selfish. She obviously knows its bothersome and just doesn't care. I wonder too with her being an owner and me a renter if she just doesn't care and hopes she shoo's me out.
That could be true. But have you really not just said something to her? I used to do aerobics in my apt before work some mornings and I always did it in the living room so I wouldn't be over anyone's bedroom. Had it been a problem I would have done it in the bedroom instead. In the evenings I would go in the bedroom. I have to say that I wouldn't have stopped altogether - I lived there too! I don't think ear plugs or a rug would help. I did have a rug and I'm sure it still made noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City