Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
When you include West Indian Immigrants and their children (myself included). I say West Indians make up almost half the black population. With West Africans, I would say a slight majority. However Black Americans are the largest group of black people, but I wouldn't say the majority. The census has me and my family as African American, not Haitian, West Indian or Afro-Caribbean.

A big problem is defining (beyond the second generation) as to who is West Indian. Is David Patterson West Indian? His paternal grandparents were, meaning that his father can also claim to be one. On his mother's side I believe is 100% AA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Before this turns into a mud slinging fight, think about what you just wrote. When you're denied access to things that will improve your life, it changes your opportunity and your outcomes. So, it isn't about common sense at all.

And remember, had it not been for American blacks at the forefront of the civil rights movement, W.I. blacks would have never had the chance for the opportunties they have here.

We are intelligent, have been successful, and we overcame things that those who did not live in this system could understand, and yet we still get put down as a group for the negative behavior of a small minority. We have a strong middle class and upper class that has survived for generations, and we continue to strive and thrive. No one ever talks about the good stuff.

I hate having to constantly defend my African-American people. Surely there's good and bad in every culture. I'd prefer that we all remember that.

The big difference between WIs and AAs is we didnt go through Jim Crow and the white population is a distinct minority so more opportunities for leadership have been available for many generations to the nonwhite segment.....leading to a healthier self image. A majority black population, even during slavery, and the fact that at emancipation they were still not insignificant numbers of people either born in Africa, or the kids of people who were, has also led to more African cultural retentions among WIs, especially in music and the arts, and to a degree in the informal religious/spiritual realms.

Does this mean that WIs and AAs are a distinct species. Well look how we share the same last names, and pathologies of slavery (levels of self hate and female headed households). Yet to say we are one and there shoulkd be no talk of difference is also inaccurate.

Maybe you can say we are cousins.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The big difference between WIs and AAs is we didnt go through Jim Crow and the white population is a distinct minority so more opportunities for leadership have been available for many generations to the nonwhite segment.....leading to a healthier self image. A majority black population, even during slavery, and the fact that at emancipation they were still not insignificant numbers of people either born in Africa, or the kids of people who were, has also led to more African cultural retentions among WIs, especially in music and the arts, and to a degree in the informal religious/spiritual realms.

Does this mean that WIs and AAs are a distinct species. Well look how we share the same last names, and pathologies of slavery (levels of self hate and female headed households). Yet to say we are one and there shoulkd be no talk of difference is also inaccurate.

Maybe you can say we are cousins.
Agreed.
And, yes, African culture is more apparent today in all Caribbean people (including the Spanish-speaking, etc). It's in the food, the dress, the traditions, music (i.e., drums). It's even in the language.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 AM

359 posts, read 329,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Nothing wrong with talking Ebonics, Geechee, Jamaican patwa, Guyanese creolese, or Sierra Leonian Krio, provided that the speakers can converse, and write in an articulate manner in standard internationally accepted English...This being the language of education, govt and commerce in English speaking societies.

This isnt a judgment. Its a FACT.
yeah you know, i guess there are some people who don't even want to integrate into American society, they'd rather have their own. its sucks though, the bigger society has to support the welfare of the smaller society.

some people dont want ANYthing to do with contributing to society, thats totally fine, there's definitely other ways to live and do things, but you gotta do it on your OWN, you know. when you don't gotta work to eat or have a roof, then you aren't doing it on your own, you're still part of that bigger society, but parasitic like.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
yeah you know, i guess there are some people who don't even want to integrate into American society, they'd rather have their own. its sucks though, the bigger society has to support the welfare of the smaller society.

some people dont want ANYthing to do with contributing to society, thats totally fine, there's definitely other ways to live and do things, but you gotta do it on your OWN, you know. when you don't gotta work to eat or have a roof, then you aren't doing it on your own, you're still part of that bigger society, but parasitic like.

BTW its not just those who "dont want to integrate" who have this problem. Its many who are in college, who having spent a life time checking off boxes in multiple choice tests, now leave school not knowing the basics of standard verbal and written communication.

The educational system in the USA for many people leaves much to be desired as many an employer faced with new hires can tell you. Its amazing how many Americans cant write a business letter. We arent asking for fancy sophisticated prose. This gets even worse with the "texting" generation.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
Think about it like this. A person from Asia thinks the same commercial/ stereotype things about people from America. To many Americans they think that White people consider themselves a culture group, but they do not. They call themselves Irish, Scottish, British, French, Spanish* and even European. Looking at Russians, who are on borderline and make up the super contienent of Asia, they are still considered Europeans, even if their customs are nothing European like.

So to make things clearer

African American ≠ African
African American ≠ West Indian
West Indian ≠ Indian ( however their are Real, "legitimate" Indians, and Asians in the West Indies, and have been for over 400 hundred years )
Carribean ≠ West Indian
Carribean ≠ Carribean sea ( Carribean islands are in the Carribean Sea )
Northen, South American nations ≠ West Indian ≠ Carribean ≠ Carribean sea but they associate with each other alot.
French Polynesia ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ Carribean Islands. However their are tons of
French speaking islands, their.
Hati ≠ Dominica ≠ Jamaica ≠ Trinidad & Tobago ≠ Cuba ≠ Puerto Rico ≠ St.etc all associate with each but they are not the same in any way at all.

http://www.ulib.niu.edu/rarebooks/im...indies1810.jpg
You see this map. That shows the West Indies ≠ Carrbiean islands as how people who actually lived their from the 1950's, and 1960's. The race is considered West Indian but due to the interaction between Americans, that has been under going cultural damages. Canada ( the common wealth ) no longer see West Indian as a race group, they just call them African.

The whole point of comming to America was to, go back home and build houses, but instead people integrated with the American culture. They associated with the Americans, and even real African immigrants. Back then this was when America was a brilliant place, shining after the WWII lost era, up till 2001 insanity.

However outter towners, mid-westerners, foriengers, and people who are not born in NYC. Come into the city with their commercialized, brainwashed,
stereotype attitudes, and intergrates with the West Indians. So in short, west Indians are not to be considered African Americans, even if they have features, or look like African Americans. The same situation could be said for Latin/Spanish culture.

*Spanish, they are also intergrated, but they have Aztec, Inca, and Mayan
roots. However nobody really cares about this heritage anymore, or even their european and non-european culutral values as well. They are just seen as greedy immigrants from the South.

*Africa, the world is commercial. That is okay because commercial blind people fit in with other commercialized blind people.

So, as with the other topics. Imagine a whole generation becoming homeless, getting killed in a war ( like 9/11 ), or even becoming pregnant.
Your pretty much leftover with go-getters, who somehow found a means of living, and reproduced. Then those people, who have never traveled without transportation, at least once in a life, will just say "oh those are African Americans". That is why the West-Indians of NYC are dissapearing. Colin powell is an execllent example, of these ideas. He had beautiful/handsom features when young but as an old man, he is anything but european, at all, so I guess he must be a African American man?

I hope that clear things up, and make some sense.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
a lot of us were dropped off in the carribean
and the rest of us were brought to the u.s.a.,
so you can tell we're all black by our features,
even our people from the hispanic countries.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Once again, it's so sad that everybody is fighting to be #2. If we can free ourselves from this petty intra-racial crap, make we could all fight to be #1. Black Carib-Ams look down on Black-Ams for the same reasons Black African-Brits look down on Black Carib-Brits, Dominicans look down on Haitians, Puerto Ricans look down on Dominicans, South Africans dislike the Nigerians, it's just a senseless cycle of ignorance. WAKE-UP AFRICANS!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ yep but I'm like who really
gives a fig about that, u dig?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Think about it like this. A person from Asia thinks the same commercial/ stereotype things about people from America. To many Americans they think that White people consider themselves a culture group, but they do not. They call themselves Irish, Scottish, British, French, Spanish* and even European. Looking at Russians, who are on borderline and make up the super contienent of Asia, they are still considered Europeans, even if their customs are nothing European like.

So to make things clearer

African American ≠ African
African American ≠ West Indian
West Indian ≠ Indian ( however their are Real, "legitimate" Indians, and Asians in the West Indies, and have been for over 400 hundred years )
Carribean ≠ West Indian
Carribean ≠ Carribean sea ( Carribean islands are in the Carribean Sea )
Northen, South American nations ≠ West Indian ≠ Carribean ≠ Carribean sea but they associate with each other alot.
French Polynesia ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ ≠ Carribean Islands. However their are tons of
French speaking islands, their.
Hati ≠ Dominica ≠ Jamaica ≠ Trinidad & Tobago ≠ Cuba ≠ Puerto Rico ≠ St.etc all associate with each but they are not the same in any way at all.

http://www.ulib.niu.edu/rarebooks/im...indies1810.jpg
You see this map. That shows the West Indies ≠ Carrbiean islands as how people who actually lived their from the 1950's, and 1960's. The race is considered West Indian but due to the interaction between Americans, that has been under going cultural damages. Canada ( the common wealth ) no longer see West Indian as a race group, they just call them African.

The whole point of comming to America was to, go back home and build houses, but instead people integrated with the American culture. They associated with the Americans, and even real African immigrants. Back then this was when America was a brilliant place, shining after the WWII lost era, up till 2001 insanity.

However outter towners, mid-westerners, foriengers, and people who are not born in NYC. Come into the city with their commercialized, brainwashed,
stereotype attitudes, and intergrates with the West Indians. So in short, west Indians are not to be considered African Americans, even if they have features, or look like African Americans. The same situation could be said for Latin/Spanish culture.

*Spanish, they are also intergrated, but they have Aztec, Inca, and Mayan
roots. However nobody really cares about this heritage anymore, or even their european and non-european culutral values as well. They are just seen as greedy immigrants from the South.

*Africa, the world is commercial. That is okay because commercial blind people fit in with other commercialized blind people.

So, as with the other topics. Imagine a whole generation becoming homeless, getting killed in a war ( like 9/11 ), or even becoming pregnant.
Your pretty much leftover with go-getters, who somehow found a means of living, and reproduced. Then those people, who have never traveled without transportation, at least once in a life, will just say "oh those are African Americans". That is why the West-Indians of NYC are dissapearing. Colin powell is an execllent example, of these ideas. He had beautiful/handsom features when young but as an old man, he is anything but european, at all, so I guess he must be a African American man?

I hope that clear things up, and make some sense.
Not exactly. I'm a bit more confused. I don't think anyone was saying that AF-AM = WI. Also, we were discussing the GROWING numbers of WI in NYC. They're not disappearing unless you consider those who have intermarried with AF-AM and others to be diluted somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City