Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

The worst is sometimes it starts barking then the other dogs in the building start barking and its like being in the pound. I walked outside because I NEEDED a moment's peace. When I got back I noticed the dog had stopped. The only people to enter the building were two girls so I assume the dog was theres. I also assume they put the dog into a room when they leave, since the sound never got any closer or farther away in the 30 hours i've been hearing it for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Separation anxiety in dogs is a very serious problem and there really isn't a
quick fix. The cost of a pet sitter and a dog walker 5 days a week would be
very expensive. I recommend listening to The Pet Show with Warren Eckstein "pet psychologist" on WOR710 am on Saturdays 4-6pm.
It's not my dog. I actually had three of my own dogs while I was living with my parents, and I understand dogs bark. But I feel sort of bad for a dog that barks that long. I feel like it's neglected.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The worst is sometimes it starts barking then the other dogs in the building start barking and its like being in the pound. I walked outside because I NEEDED a moment's peace. When I got back I noticed the dog had stopped. The only people to enter the building were two girls so I assume the dog was theres. I also assume they put the dog into a room when they leave, since the sound never got any closer or farther away in the 30 hours i've been hearing it for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Call your animal control anonymously and say you think the dog may have been abandoned....because maybe it has. No dog barks that long w/out a reason.....sad. It definitely needs to be checked on. And, I wouldn't go around the neighborhood asking about the dog, than make a complaint.....just sayin
I was just about to say this ^^^

There has to be something wrong, maybe the dog doesn't get enough exercise, food or attention.
I hate when people can't properly care for pets. Especially when they are being neglected.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I was just about to say this ^^^

There has to be something wrong, maybe the dog doesn't get enough exercise, food or attention.
I hate when people can't properly care for pets. Especially when they are being neglected.

Yes, I would have to agree with most of the replies. As a pet owner ( and im sure many of you too) know dogs dont "just bark". When they are left in a room all day or tied off somewhere, they go stir crazy. Once that happens any sound will set them off.

If its barking for as long as you say, its definitely alone/possibly neglected.
I have lived near people who thought it was perfectly OK to get a huge dog, tie it to a post w/ a 3 foot lead and leave it in the sun all day. (seriously - that was my 1st exp with calling ASPCA on a neighbor)

When you feel up to it find the dog, Although 311 will not do anything immediate a paper trail is always a good back up. If you find the apt - call Animal Care & Control - you can get the # from 311 and report neglected dog - they will come a lot sooner. This goes on far too much, a stiff fine should keep this ******* from doing it again.

My immediate neighbor who likes to play his TV so loud it shakes my pictures , was "dog sitting" his friends chihuahua. he locked it in his bathroom all day. poor thing whined and cried for 4 - 6 hours b4 it fell asleep. only to wake up to do it again. It lasted a week, I could not figure out where the dog was on our floor, until one day it broke out of the bathroom and was madly clawing at the front door. I was going to call ASPCA. He came home that night & returned the dog to its owner. I wonder if his friend knew her dog was left to cry its self to sleep for a week. I really hate people who dont treat animals with BASIC decency.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
It really is annoying to hear a dog bark and bark all day with no peace, but as a dog lover and owner, I also feel sorry for the dog, it's obviously being neglected while the owners are away.

I would try to find out who's dog it is, maybe the owners don't even know that the dog barks all day? If they do and they don't care, then they should be reported to the ASPCA or any other animal welfare group.

Yes it is expensive to hire a dog walker/sitter, but that is the right thing to do if you live alone and have a pet in this city. When my dog was a puppy I had the dog walker come 2x a day, at a cost of $120 a week. I work 12.5 hr shifts and I would never consider leaving her alone for that long so I had to do it. If people cannot provide a proper life for their dog, don't get one.

To the above poster, how sad about that little dog that was locked in the bathroom for hours!! If I could I would have taken that dog for a few days, and if I knew someone did that to my dog I would seriously "de-ball" him!!
As a pet owner that is my worst nightmare, to leave your dog with someone you trusts who abuses/neglects your animal behind your back. Thats why I pay for boarding if there is a situation that I can't leave her with my mother or sister.

Anyway, ohiogirl, I hope you get to the bottom of this and finally get some peace and quiet!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The dog needs attention, either it has separation anxiety or needs exercise. There are services that will not only walk your dog, but will have a runner stop by to take a larger dog out for a run and play with them for a bit. It helps with separation anxiety, which is a difficult issue in some dogs. If it's really bad, there are some dog day care services, where the dog is dropped off/picked up, not unlike a child, and the pet requires a commitment to care.

As strange as it may sound, perhaps they do not know that the dog barks in their absence. They may think that the dog barks for a minute or two when they leave, and then settles down to rest, and wait for their return, when it may bark again upon hearing them. They could seriously be that clueless, especially if nobody has told them that the dog barks like that.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 AM

168 posts, read 349,262 times
Then again, some dogs just like to hear their own voices. The people next door to me throw their dog outside every hour until midnight for about 15 minutes to "do its business." And for the entire time it's out there, it barks, howls, whines and screeches like it's being beaten or something. It's excruciating to listen to this high-pitched bark-whine and melodramatic yowling, like nails on a blackboard. Then when they go out, they lock it in a room with the window open and it does the same thing until they come home. The dog is just a whiny drama queen. It's not being neglected. It's just spoiled.

Then there's the huge dog behind me, who for hours on end barks in the same pattern... WOOF WOOF!! (three seconds of silence) WOOF WOOF!! (three seconds of silence) WOOF WOOF!! (three seconds of silence)... which sets off the yappy dog next to it, who is usually barking for hours on end itself (often until 3am), in this manic, frenzied way that suggests someone is dangling bacon-covered kittens in front of it outside the window. I always think it's going to just bark itself to death, or at least shred its larynx.

I used to live in a building where the people below me had a huge dog that would bark continuously until they came home. They refused to accept that it could possibly be happening... not their precious little pookie-wookie!! I made a tape of it--as it sounded in my apartment. Nothing. I went to the landlord's office with the tape and they refused to even listen to it. When I was on the phone, whoever I was talking to could just hear barking. It was nonstop. Why? Because of where the owner's apartment was situated. On the first floor. Next to the lobby. Across from the elevators and mailboxes. Facing the street. So as you can imagine, this thing went off at every single sight and sound. The landlord didn't care... as long as the offenders paid their rent on time, it was all good.

People just do not understand that what they do affects others, and that their "right" to do something ENDS when it invades someone else's space.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrish View Post
Then again, some dogs just like to hear their own voices. The people next door to me throw their dog outside every hour until midnight for about 15 minutes to "do its business." And for the entire time it's out there, it barks, howls, whines and screeches like it's being beaten or something. It's excruciating to listen to this high-pitched bark-whine and melodramatic yowling, like nails on a blackboard. Then when they go out, they lock it in a room with the window open and it does the same thing until they come home. The dog is just a whiny drama queen. It's not being neglected. It's just spoiled.

Then there's the huge dog behind me, who for hours on end barks in the same pattern... WOOF WOOF!! (three seconds of silence) WOOF WOOF!! (three seconds of silence) WOOF WOOF!! (three seconds of silence)... which sets off the yappy dog next to it, who is usually barking for hours on end itself (often until 3am), in this manic, frenzied way that suggests someone is dangling bacon-covered kittens in front of it outside the window. I always think it's going to just bark itself to death, or at least shred its larynx.

I used to live in a building where the people below me had a huge dog that would bark continuously until they came home. They refused to accept that it could possibly be happening... not their precious little pookie-wookie!! I made a tape of it--as it sounded in my apartment. Nothing. I went to the landlord's office with the tape and they refused to even listen to it. When I was on the phone, whoever I was talking to could just hear barking. It was nonstop. Why? Because of where the owner's apartment was situated. On the first floor. Next to the lobby. Across from the elevators and mailboxes. Facing the street. So as you can imagine, this thing went off at every single sight and sound. The landlord didn't care... as long as the offenders paid their rent on time, it was all good.

People just do not understand that what they do affects others, and that their "right" to do something ENDS when it invades someone else's space.
this is at the heart of most of the complaints (mine included) and is a very true statement. Im not old, im 38 - I was raised in Queens by a single mom. I know my rights & how to act - and I know what I do affects EVERYONE around me.

So I dont know how it is that SO MANY RAZZLE DAZZLE (I have a 2 yr old) people seem to be oblivious that a tying a dog to a post or sticking it in a bathroom or even leaving it by a front door to bark all day is not going to tick some ppl off? (and I love the "my dog doesn't do that response")
Or wearing shoes on your hardwood floor and walking around as if no one lives below - Or watching your tv with the 200 watt speakers attached could *possibly* bother someone....I have had so many dealing with these people and the most annoying response is "im in my house I can do what I want" or "I pay rent" - yeah, I OWN, and I still dont act like a jerk.. I cant move to a farm, but sometimes I wish I could.
I do love my city, couldn't imagine moving out - unless it was to Belgium THAT I could do.

sorry - im cranky.. and I hate jerks.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I had a tenant in my ground floor who had 2 dogs, and one was a small chihuahua type. I asked specifically whether it barks alot, to which she replied "oh no never." Of course upon moving in the dog never stopped barking. Long story short, 2 months later the tenant moved out, as I would not tolerate the nonstop barking. The new tenant has a cat.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM

168 posts, read 349,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
this is at the heart of most of the complaints (mine included) and is a very true statement. Im not old, im 38 - I was raised in Queens by a single mom. I know my rights & how to act - and I know what I do affects EVERYONE around me.

So I dont know how it is that SO MANY RAZZLE DAZZLE (I have a 2 yr old) people seem to be oblivious that a tying a dog to a post or sticking it in a bathroom or even leaving it by a front door to bark all day is not going to tick some ppl off? (and I love the "my dog doesn't do that response")
Or wearing shoes on your hardwood floor and walking around as if no one lives below - Or watching your tv with the 200 watt speakers attached could *possibly* bother someone....I have had so many dealing with these people and the most annoying response is "im in my house I can do what I want" or "I pay rent" - yeah, I OWN, and I still dont act like a jerk.. I cant move to a farm, but sometimes I wish I could.
I do love my city, couldn't imagine moving out - unless it was to Belgium THAT I could do.

sorry - im cranky.. and I hate jerks.
Exactly! "I can do what I want, when I want within MY FOUR WALLS!" Um, "your four walls" are also your neighbors' walls, floors and ceilings.

And landlords don't do a thing about it. The guy above me in one place not only stomped like an elephant day and night, but played an electric guitar--WITH AMPLIFIER--and had surround-sound. My walls would shake when he watched TV. He obviously had weekend custody, and his kid would thunder around the apartment and play his game console at full blast. What did the landlord do? Nothing. Ignored the whole thing. Of course if the guy's rent was late, action would have been taken... swift and deadly. Landlords care about one thing and one thing only. You as a tenant have no RIGHTS under the lease you both signed... only OBLIGATIONS.

(I pretty much knew what I was in for with that guy when he first moved in... he was moving furniture in at 2:30 am. On a weeknight. When I went up there, he couldn't believe I was upset about it. Didn't I understand that this was the only time his friend could help him move?? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City