Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,018 times

Advertisements

This forum has been a great resource, but I still have a few questions about a pending move to NYC. Your advice is appreciated.

I received an amazing job offer in the city, and am looking forward to a move.... very shortly. This time frame happend much more quickly than I anticipated.

So the basics:
I will live alone and hope to find a studio apartment, probably the Upper West Side, with a budget not to exceed $1800 but preferably less.

I will have a monthly budget of about $4500 after taxes and such. This seems reasonable, but since I've never lived in NYC, I really have no idea.

I am arriving in the city at the end of April or early May.

The questions:
1. Is it reasonable to find an apartment in a week in Manhattan? I am willing to put in an application on the spot if I find a place I like. Do I need to be prepared to put in an application on multiple places? I've never moved anywhere without a place to live, and I'm nervous. But I also realize I can't really line up a place from the west coast.
2. Since I'm hoping to use an expedited timeline on the apartment search, should I use a broker? Are they really easier? I am prepared to pay first, last, and security. However, if I use a broker, I understand that cost to be at least equal to a month's rent. If you are paying a broker, do you still need first, last and security?
3. Best places to go for good, reasonably priced furniture?
4. Is there any benefit to apartment hunting on a weekend? Or before the end of the month? ie should I show up before the weekend of the 28th? Or is it going to be fine if I arrive for the apartment search to start May 1? Does it really even matter???
5. What is a reasonable budget for other things? utilities, internet, food

Thanks much in advance. Your advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City