Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,823 times

Advertisements

Congratulations and good luck with your move. I was a grad student at Fordham years ago and a number of the faculty lived in the Bronx. You may want to look at the safety map thread:
NYC Safety Maps
However, they have the Little Italy neighborhood as orange-shaded--according to their criteria "Orange means that a suburbanite would probably be scared of the area, but somebody with a reasonable amount of street-smarts should be fine" and I question whether it's really gotten that bad? I lived in the area years ago, have visited recently and would say that much of it should be shaded yellow, "Yellow means that the area should be fine to anybody, but you may still see occasional incidents. You just need basic street smarts (don't go out drunk waving the money and expensive gadgets) and you should be fine."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Congratulations and good luck with your move. I was a grad student at Fordham years ago and a number of the faculty lived in the Bronx. You may want to look at the safety map thread:
NYC Safety Maps
However, they have the Little Italy neighborhood as orange-shaded--according to their criteria "Orange means that a suburbanite would probably be scared of the area, but somebody with a reasonable amount of street-smarts should be fine" and I question whether it's really gotten that bad? I lived in the area years ago, have visited recently and would say that much of it should be shaded yellow, "Yellow means that the area should be fine to anybody, but you may still see occasional incidents. You just need basic street smarts (don't go out drunk waving the money and expensive gadgets) and you should be fine."
Belmont is okay for the most part. IMO its gotten much better in recent years. From what I know of the bronx this area was way way worse in the 90's. And the little Italy strip is a nice perk to have in your own backyard. Rent is super cheap but alot of the buildings are in bad shape as in old and not well maintained. Also outside of convenience to fordham u commute isn't the best. Your looking at a bus ride to get to trains.

I think some of the students leave themselves a little out in the open. Just don't do smart things but it shows an obvious level of comfort that they do it in the first place. That or just youthful stupidity...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-26-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Belmont is okay for the most part. IMO its gotten much better in recent years. From what I know of the bronx this area was way way worse in the 90's. And the little Italy strip is a nice perk to have in your own backyard. Rent is super cheap but alot of the buildings are in bad shape as in old and not well maintained. Also outside of convenience to fordham u commute isn't the best. Your looking at a bus ride to get to trains.

I think some of the students leave themselves a little out in the open. Just don't do smart things but it shows an obvious level of comfort that they do it in the first place. That or just youthful stupidity...
Eh, I think it's more youthful stupidity, or maybe just the "I'm young and invincible and it can't happen to me" mentality.

When my daughter was at Fordham some of the kids got robbed using an ATM at 4 a.m. or walking back to campus stumbling drunk in the middle of the night. Just the type of things that aren't smart and sort of ASK for crime to occur in an iffy neighborhood.

And then my daughter transferred to Albany, where some of the off-campus student housing is in an iffy neighborhood, and drunk students walking home through the ghetto area got jumped and robbed from time to time. Surprise surprise.

Strange as it may seem, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. Stephen Vizinczey

Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Eh, I think it's more youthful stupidity, or maybe just the "I'm young and invincible and it can't happen to me" mentality.

When my daughter was at Fordham some of the kids got robbed using an ATM at 4 a.m. or walking back to campus stumbling drunk in the middle of the night. Just the type of things that aren't smart and sort of ASK for crime to occur in an iffy neighborhood.

And then my daughter transferred to Albany, where some of the off-campus student housing is in an iffy neighborhood, and drunk students walking home through the ghetto area got jumped and robbed from time to time. Surprise surprise.

Strange as it may seem, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. Stephen Vizinczey
Frankly that 4am crime would happen in a lot of neighborhoods in nyc including ritzy ones. Like you said just dumb begging for it behavior.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Frankly that 4am crime would happen in a lot of neighborhoods in nyc including ritzy ones. Like you said just dumb begging for it behavior.
Good point. As a matter of fact, if I were a mugger I'd probably hang out in the ritzy neighborhoods figuring there would be more people with money there.

Failing that, I'd just go to wherever I can find dumb drunk college kids.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
quote=Mightyqueen801;24070843]Good point. As a matter of fact, if I were a mugger I'd probably hang out in the ritzy neighborhoods figuring there would be more people with money there.[/quote]

On the other hand they are most likely going to report the crime and the police will be buzzing all over the place.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
quote=Mightyqueen801;24070843]Good point. As a matter of fact, if I were a mugger I'd probably hang out in the ritzy neighborhoods figuring there would be more people with money there.
On the other hand they are most likely going to report the crime and the police will be buzzing all over the place.[/quote]

Good point. Maybe I'll not go with the mugger-as-my-second-career idea.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
quote=Mightyqueen801;24070843]Good point. As a matter of fact, if I were a mugger I'd probably hang out in the ritzy neighborhoods figuring there would be more people with money there.
On the other hand they are most likely going to report the crime and the police will be buzzing all over the place.[/quote]

Well in this particular situation, cops are pretty sensitive about protecting fordham u students also. It's not a cheap school, many of the students are from rich families and fordham is known for having influential alumni.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegrrl View Post
Hi folks,

Am I missing any ideas? I don't think actually living in the Bronx is in the picture, but that's mainly because we know very little about the Bronx; and I've been told I'd need to send the kid to private school which would demolish the cost savings of lower rent. But I do like City Island.

Thanks, everyone!
I think you are being short sighted by ruling our the Bronx itself as a place to live. Riverdate, Bedford-Mosholu, Woodlawn are all nice places to live. From your post, I don't get the sense that you are the urban pioneer type so the areas of the South Bronx that are getting better are probably not for you.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Fordham also has a shuttle between the Bronx and Lincoln Center campuses, frequently enough that if you really wanted to live in Manhattan, you could use the Ram Van to commute most times (there's no service during some school vacations though). My sister used to do this for a reverse commute between Belmont and Lincoln Center (many years ago). I don't think it's particularly expensive and it's pretty fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City