Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Elements of transplant culture are or is, starbucks, wakeboarding, rodeo drive style boutique shops, Miami beach style condos, cupcakes, food vans, flipflops, retro styled shirts, coffee bistro, fixe bikes, macbooks, hatred of the NY Yankees and the list goes on and oh yeah college debt and finincial parental assistance. Also last transplants rarely hang around nyc natives, why I don't know, unless that nyc native went to college in another state like Ohio or Michigan, even a CUNY OR SUNY degree may help to relate with Transplants.
What, so are you saying that "native NYers" only hang out with transplants and do transplant things if they went to college in another state? I'm not sure what bucket you'd lump me in (I'm from westchester and only left NY for college and came right back) but I know many, many "native" NYers that grew up in the gritter parts of Brooklyn (Bushwick, Crown Heights and Ft Greene when I was just as gritty as Bushwick) and suburban-like parts of Queens (Laurelton) who partake in much of "transplant" culture. For example, one is an avid wakeborder and snowborder, another has like a $10/day starbucks habit, all own Macs, etc. All are well educated with an advanced degree or two and yes they went to school out of state (save the wakeborder but he went to a design school)...so is what you're talking about a class distinction? Once someone starts mingling with the gentry they become the gentry? The two Lilly white native Manhattanites I mentioned previously would be described as gentry and have very so called "transplant" habits like starbucks, cupcake eating and boutique shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Elements of transplant culture are or is, starbucks, wakeboarding, rodeo drive style boutique shops, Miami beach style condos, cupcakes, food vans, flipflops, retro styled shirts, coffee bistro, fixe bikes, macbooks, hatred of the NY Yankees and the list goes on and oh yeah college debt and finincial parental assistance.
more like: not knowing what a NY Yankee even is since alot of them don't spend a nanosecond on sports

also include: love of liquor, unpaid internships, love of facebook, cliquey drama, one night stands, financial help from grandparents (if parents are strapped)

as for food vans: i eat from food vans but i buy from the cheapo arab/egyptian ones, not the startup ones run by college grads

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
What, so are you saying that "native NYers" only hang out with transplants and do transplant things if they went to college in another state? I'm not sure what bucket you'd lump me in (I'm from westchester and only left NY for college and came right back) but I know many, many "native" NYers that grew up in the gritter parts of Brooklyn (Bushwick, Crown Heights and Ft Greene when I was just as gritty as Bushwick) and suburban-like parts of Queens (Laurelton) who partake in much of "transplant" culture. For example, one is an avid wakeborder and snowborder, another has like a $10/day starbucks habit, all own Macs, etc. All are well educated with an advanced degree or two and yes they went to school out of state (save the wakeborder but he went to a design school)...so is what you're talking about a class distinction? Once someone starts mingling with the gentry they become the gentry? The two Lilly white native Manhattanites I mentioned previously would be described as gentry and have very so called "transplant" habits like starbucks, cupcake eating and boutique shopping.
Of course native new yorkers partake in Transplantish culture, I do too. All those things I described are just popular trends amongst a certain group. To be frank nyc is not immune to Transplant culture, every city in America has its fair share of Transplants especially amongst a slew of Ex New Yorkers who bring their liberal ways to the Bible belt and heartland.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Ppl on this website over exaggerate this whole transplant/hipster thing, yea there's a lot and Manhattan def has way more that the other boroughs but not counting ppl from NJ, LI, Northern suburbs, CT, and PA the number of transplants in Manhattan from the Midwest, South, and West are like 25-30%.

The majority of ppl in Manhattan are from the NY metro area.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Funnily enough, the single hipsteriest hipster I ever knew grew up in Brooklyn, the child of immigrants. But yeah, most are from the suburbs.

Also the person above who mentioned ultra-rich Manhattan kids is dead on. I mean, these guys were pretty much the original hipsters, in the modern sense.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Funnily enough, the single hipsteriest hipster I ever knew grew up in Brooklyn, the child of immigrants. But yeah, most are from the suburbs.
Thats another thing I know a few ppl that would be considered hipsters and most of them are from NY, I only know two that are not from this area and they are from Cali.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Of course native new yorkers partake in Transplantish culture, I do too. All those things I described are just popular trends amongst a certain group. To be frank nyc is not immune to Transplant culture, every city in America has its fair share of Transplants especially amongst a slew of Ex New Yorkers who bring their liberal ways to the Bible belt and heartland.
So what is native NY culture? Eating pizza and love of the Yankees? (I think there was a thread about this question a few months back...) 50 years ago what was NYC culture the same? What about 100 years ago? Culture evolves and is influenced by different groups mixing together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
arab/egyptian ones, not the startup ones run by college grads
Oh, and by the way, those "transplant" food trucks are *****ing phenomenal. I had some kimchi taco thing-a-ma-bob the other day. Best $7 meal ever!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Thats another thing I know a few ppl that would be considered hipsters and most of them are from NY, I only know two that are not from this area and they are from Cali.
I'm from Brooklyn (I'm sure most here now that), but my cousins/family call me that all the time. That's why I hate the word to be honest. I don't think I am, It's just who am I. They think I'm pretentious but I'm not, I just don't like certain things they do/they way they act so I push them away.

Yes, I own Apple products (iPhone, Macs, an iPad) I don't care about this one, I love Apple and that won't change.
Yes, I wear vintage clothing but I can wear whatever I want.
Etc...

That doesn't mean I'm a hipster. Today's hipster is something completely different then when the word originated. I don't care though, it's just a word.

I don't wear Flip-Flops (only when I worked at a certain store). I don't like Miami styled anything. But most importantly I LOVE THE YANKEES!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
So what is native NY culture? Eating pizza and love of the Yankees? (I think there was a thread about this question a few months back...) 50 years ago what was NYC culture the same? What about 100 years ago? Culture evolves and is influenced by different groups mixing together.
Trust me some people don't seem to see that. Conservative people in general are just set in their ways and change, with anything, frightens them.

It's so funny sometimes because in this forum people say "Native New Yorkers don't do that..." Or "You must be from somewhere else if..." meanwhile I'm from Brooklyn and laugh every time I read things like that.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,258 times
Most ppl that are actually from manhattan reside in harlem or the heights. I love seein all the 'hipsters' and 'transplants' dissapear off the train the closer I get to my stop

Although I must admit there are plenty of natives who have adapted to that lifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City