Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Skyway...NYC has nothing to prove to you or anyone. It is the greatest city in the world...but was never billed "the perfect city in the world." You know why? Cuz there ain't one!

As soon as you make yourself perfect in everyone's eyes, then you can expect NYC to be perfect next, deal? Until then, we will just make fun of you so you should probably go away now before I put a rat in your size 18 sweatpants.

Nothing to like about skyway31; your comment is an embarrassment.
Looks like what I said got to you. You don't see me making any of this personal the way you did with me here. Good, maybe that can lead to change.

Look, you're trying desperately to go all straw-man on me here. I never said anything about a perfect city. Nobody expects perfect. But how about a reasonable trash collection procedure that eliminates the billions of trash bags crowding the sidewalks for hours on end? How about a city where the primary form of transportation doesn't involve encounters with rats on a daily basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
And your solution to the problem is...?
I'm not an urban planning expert. So, beyond suggesting the city (or maybe private firms) come up with a different, better plan for trash collection, I can't offer specific solutions. The city does need to follow the lead of San Francisco in requiring trash be set out in robust, airtight bins instead of flimsy bags that shabbily sprawl all over the sidewalks. People littering is a completely separate issue from city trash collection procedures. The former can be very tricky to deal with. The latter certainly doesn't have to be.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM

I write all of this because it seems to me that residents have gotten all too used to this and have kind of given up. I'd be ok with pissing some people off if it lead to action being taken to stop this mess.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
We need more sanitation crews to address the problem. Actually, we need more efficient sanitation crews. Problem is, they're public service unions with high pay and expensive health care benefits. I think we may not even be able to afford what we already have.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Skyway it is nothing personal at all. You know nothing of NYC yet believe you have the moral superiority or knowledge to criticize it and "make fun of it" until us dummies fix the problem? I mean really? Thank you Captain Obvious for letting us know garbage bags on the sidewalk are conducive to rat problems and odors. What else would you like to reveal to us? Traffic is a problem and you will "make fun of us" until we reduce it? The trains are too crowded and "you will make fun of us" until there is less crowding? Please feel free to leave your other comments and suggestions in the pile labeled "refuse" as you board greyhound out of the city.

You are writing all this because:

A You know nothing of NYC.
B You think you know NYC.
C You believe your immature comments will have some sort of impact.

This is Skyway31's logic:

Hey...you are fat. You come from such a good family, and I really like them all, but you are embarrassing and until you lose the weight I will make fun of you.

Meanwhile, this girl KNOWS she is fat, as does everyone in her family and friends. And everyone realizes she has struggled with her weight and continues to do what she can to get more healthy...except for skyway31 of course.

Way to go skyway31...now go away before I send the rats to your trailer.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 AM

LOL. There you go again putting words in my mouth. Let's keep the discussion to one topic (the one the OP is about): Trash bags dumped on city sidewalks. Is this the best NYC can do? I think not.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 AM

The topic is the same: Skyway31 who knows nothing about NYC but believes he/she does, and assumes that everyone is so dumb that nobody notices the problem with the garbage bags on the sidewalks and that nobody has or will do anything about it. But now that it has been revealed by the all-knowing skyway31, NYers now realize the problem, and are cowering in a corner because "they are being made fun of" until it is fixed to skyway31's satisfaction.

That about sums it up.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
As I suspected, I like much about New York. Also, as I suspected, your asinine trash policies likely threaten to ruin the city. FWIW, the idea of tossing trash baggies out into the street is horrific. It's a significant blight, contributes to a crummy odor and, of course, feeds your nasty vermin/rodent problem. That a woman was recently attacked on your subway to the point that a rat was INSIDE her pants and required her to drop them to the point of nudity is a god damn shame. I want do badly to love your city but until you fix the trash and subsequent rodent problem, I'll make fun of you. Stop the trash bag and litter madness. This could/should be the best city. But as long as civilians are being attacked by rodents, no effing way.

Oh "she" sounds mad..hahaha

LA, SF, SD???? Really???? hahah well have fun.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 AM

499 posts, read 794,071 times
I think it is fair criticism and I agree it's embarassing. We shouldn't get so bent out of shape when someone points out the problems of the city. Rather we should push for our municipal governments to solve them.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Arxis28...people who are 500 pounds KNOW they are fat. Pointing out that they are fat is not a revelation to them, but it does demonstrate you are a moron. Yeah we kinda know we have a garbage problem here...

The assumption then becomes "nobody is doing anything"..which again..demonstrates you are a moron. NYers are the ones who make this city great and LEAD the country in most things. The garbage problem has been a conundrum in this city since garbage has existed, and we have tried a number of different things. That does not mean we have given up or are not trying, and there will be more changes shortly.

So while you are busy calling the fat girl "Fat" and saying "we will make fun of you until you become acceptable to me" only serves to demonstrate that you are a moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: