Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

You will see plenty of rats if you lived here, but you probably wouldn't be interacting with them, but it isn't sounding like you are enjoying nyc much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
this kid is crazy. he thinks that any time he goes on the subway rats are going to swarm on him like it's the plague.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 AM

483 posts, read 854,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Uh, like, not having to fear rats will crawl on me and bite me? (admittedly that is pretty ambitious by NY standards)
Skyway, relax. I don't know anyone that that's happened to. You will see a rat or two on the platform at times but they *usually* stay on the front or the back of the platform. If someone is walking toward it the rat will usually run off to the tracks or mind their own business. Yes there are rats, roaches and mice but they're not spilling out into the streets all the time. You will frequently see them at night in the streets and may occasionally see one in the daytime but we are not tripping over them every time we leave our apartments or in our apartments. I have a fear of them too but I am able to enjoy my life here. I haven't see one outside of the train stations in months.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
I simply cannot believe you are in daily fear of being bitten by rats. What the hell are you doing, crawling around on the subway tracks? Never have I felt physically threatened by rats crawling or biting me, as they are generally relegated to the subway tracks. Why would they go on platforms where hundreds of people could squash them?
I'm no rat psychologist. But, read these forums. Talk to people. Rats on the platforms is a common occurrence. Rats inside a subway car riding with passengers is far from unheard of. How common? I don't know. Let's just say it takes all of 10 seconds to pull up multiple YouTube videos of rats on NYC subway cars

Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You will see plenty of rats if you lived here, but you probably wouldn't be interacting with them, but it isn't sounding like you are enjoying nyc much.
Nah, actually I am enjoying it. Perhaps I should spend less time on this message board.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Nah, actually I am enjoying it. Perhaps I should spend less time on this message board.
I would, no point with being in here, you should be out enjoying the city. I hope you have a great trip here.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
I'm no rat psychologist. But, read these forums. Talk to people. Rats on the platforms is a common occurrence. Rats inside a subway car riding with passengers is far from unheard of. How common? I don't know. Let's just say it takes all of 10 seconds to pull up multiple YouTube videos of rats on NYC subway cars

you can bring up videos on youtube in ten seconds for lots of things that rarely happen...

or that never happened...

Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 PM

255 posts, read 475,874 times
A rat on the subway is a rat on the subway. who really cares?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
First of all, the moment you see a catch-phrase like "quality of life," you know you have to take what follows with a grain of salt. Perhaps two or three grains of salt. And anyone who refers to themself as Feels Victimized is probably going to be doing major league amounts of complaining, anyway.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feel_victimized View Post
Worse now than years earlier!...I have to say a pray when entering the subway...try to keep out of harms way when I enter a subway car...looking out for possible trouble makers by not entering the same subway car...noisy people that play loud music for money....very pesty...dirty cars...seats that are soiled...what a bummer...that's why I would rather walk than take the subway or take a bus...what is really absurd is when you are issued a ticket for walking to get out of one subway car to enter another parked subway car (while train is sitting in station) when trying to avoid a possible trouble maker or looking for a clean seat on the train....
Not in DC/Baltimore they have the nicest subways in Usa their subways have CARPET,CLEAN,AND NO HOBOS. Their subway station are clean looks nice,quiet best subway ever been in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City