Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times

Advertisements

Wawawee I will never get through to you because you have a personal vendetta against poor people of color..as your only examples of poverty are "grown able bodied men playing dominos"...as if this is the face of poverty in NYC. The face of poverty is in fact women and children in this city..as it is in everyother place in the country.

There have always been able bodied men "hanging out" and doing nothing....history will show you that as well....this is nothing new. I agree that the city (or our society) has created a welfare state, and makes it easier for those to stay in poverty (assuming it is an easy lifestyle), however this doesn't change the fact that the poor and lower classes are leaving NYC. Look to lots of exurbs surrounding NYC and see who is moving there...Reading and Allentown PA are shining examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Wawawee I will never get through to you because you have a personal vendetta against poor people of color..as your only examples of poverty are "grown able bodied men playing dominos"...as if this is the face of poverty in NYC. The face of poverty is in fact women and children in this city..as it is in everyother place in the country.

There have always been able bodied men "hanging out" and doing nothing....history will show you that as well....this is nothing new. I agree that the city (or our society) has created a welfare state, and makes it easier for those to stay in poverty (assuming it is an easy lifestyle), however this doesn't change the fact that the poor and lower classes are leaving NYC. Look to lots of exurbs surrounding NYC and see who is moving there...Reading and Allentown PA are shining examples.
There's no vendetta against a specific group here.

I'm of Russian Jewish ancestry and I'll rant about the Russians and Orthodox Jews cheating the system as well if you want me to. I don't particularly give a **** who someone is.

Some poor may be leaving but they're being replaced by others. So long as the transfer payments are not declining that is the economic reality.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:27 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
You are welcome to do that...however you chose NOT to rant about them and took the obvious shot at the "domino players" (aka those thieving lazy brown folks juicing the system...that's all they ever do..they are the real problems in this world after all and oh yeah..they ruined the Utopia that was NYC pre-1950!)

Did I miss anything?

Yes poor and lower class are moving out, and others are moving in. GUESS WHAT? That has always happened in NYC..the poor Irish moved in...then were replaced by the poor Italians, and then replaced by the poor Jews....and on and on....learn your history and stop the silly tirades. Once you understand NYC and it's history you won't be so bitter and angry....this is how it works.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:03 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You are welcome to do that...however you chose NOT to rant about them and took the obvious shot at the "domino players" (aka those thieving lazy brown folks juicing the system...that's all they ever do..they are the real problems in this world after all and oh yeah..they ruined the Utopia that was NYC pre-1950!)

Did I miss anything?

Yes poor and lower class are moving out, and others are moving in. GUESS WHAT? That has always happened in NYC..the poor Irish moved in...then were replaced by the poor Italians, and then replaced by the poor Jews....and on and on....learn your history and stop the silly tirades. Once you understand NYC and it's history you won't be so bitter and angry....this is how it works.
You're flat out wrong.
The only folks moving out in numbers are the low to mid middle class.

This thread is about the Bronx though, correct? Start a thread about Borough Park, Williamsburgh, or Brighton Beach/Coney Island.

In fact, in a thread about Brighton Beach I did rant about the fraud of the welfare system there. So there you go.

Your outlook is just plain wrong. The poor have no incentive to move out so long as the welfare system exists like it does. The welfare system in smaller cities/municipalities is nowhere near as generous as NYC. The tax base is simply not wealthy enough to extract the necessary $'s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City