Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,978 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the Hunts Point area...and I was curious about people's opinions of it. Particularly, I was wondering about immigration trends...I hear Mexican immigration is on the rise in HP, and I was wondering if there's a Mexican section there, businesses, and what the impact has been on the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:39 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
I dont know about the impact of the immigrants but I do know that Hunts Point is not a place to move to. This year Hunts Point has the highest rate of crime in the Bronx. Awful area, bad history...bad present.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:11 PM

11 posts, read 59,119 times
I am not sure on HP immig. trends but i have been noticing a lot more Mexicans in the bronx as a whole. As for the area it is a pretty rough area, please be careful particularly at night as certain areas can be desolate and dangerous.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
First of all Hunts Point is one **** area. Hunts Point and Longwood together have one of the highest robbery rates in America. The residential parts of the neighborhoods make up less then half a square mile, yet had 15 murders last year.

The area is overwhelmingly Puerto Rican. Longwood has a sizeable Dominican and Mexican population though still Puerto Rican majority. Inside the Hunts Point area, you don't see too many non Puerto Ricans. The Mexicans in the two neighborhoods either live many to one apartment or in room for rent situations. Mostly in the Longwood section outside Hunts Point.

My expierence with Mexican immigrants is, they like to live along the subway lines. You also don't see too many in low income public housing. Very few. They usually live in market rate apartments or room for rent situations. There are a some Mexican owned businesses around. Mostly fruit stands. A lot of places do hire them though.

They are definately growing though and are especially big in Queens from what I hear. Unfortunately their kids are following the trends of the Ricans and African Americans from what I have seen. They pick it up in school and in the neighborhoods. It's also unfortunate Mexican gangs attack their own specifically. There has been a large increase in Mexican gangs.

In the South Bronx, most immigrant Mexicans travel in groups of 5-6 for safety. They are the prefured targets for muggings. People think they are always illegal and will not report crimes.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
The Hunts Point area is in the midst of a major transition. It just opened 2 new parks aong the Bronx River, one on Barretto street, the other at the end of Lafayette (i believe). The Barretto park has a sand volleyball court, a small beach, paddle ball courts, basketball courts, walking path, nice views on the water, a small outdoor ampitheater, and nice green grass. Just outside Hunts POint on the waterfront (outside of the whitlock station) they are completing a new park called "concrete plant park" which will eventually link up all of the waterfront alonf the Bronx River..including Hunts POint.

There are also plans to tear down the Sheridan and replace with a huge park, bike trails, etc....this has significant support...we shall see how that goes. There ais also a very small artist colony that resides in Hunts POint..and they are most likely associated with "the POint"..a non-for-profit group that is spearheading much of the changes in Hunts Point (founder is Majora Carter..she is doing great things for the community...you shuold join!)

There is definitely a surge in Mexicans all over the Bronx..but Hunts Point is still predominantly PR, with alot of Blacks too. The area has a higher than average crime rate for the Bronx...and has its share of ills..to say the least.

I much prefer longwood..where they have incredible brownstones on Beck, Kelly streets....they are wonderfull condition and sell for over $500K....nice tree lined streets, parking, and good sized buildings.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM

216 posts, read 992,710 times
^ you take 2 large paragraphs to describe the 'positives' (which for the most part are negligible) of hunts point and throw in one tiny line at the end about higher then average crime rate. so barretto park has added a volley ball court, WOOPTY DOO. in that same park you can routinely find drug addicts and prostitutes turning tricks.

hunts point flat-out is one of the worst areas in one of the very worst counties of america.

Last edited by Concept; 09-26-2007 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM

There will be enough people, like you, who will be happy to write 4 paragraphs about how bad it is and all the problems there are in Hunts Point..so I am providing another view, one that is just as valid and accurate as your assessement of Hunts Point. A new park, and a sand volleyball court, may be a "Whoopty Freaking Doo" to you, but it was a BIG 4 year, 3 million dollar WHOOPTY DOO to the community of Hunts Point that is starved for parks and investment...but you don't live here so it's easy to dismiss it all as "just the ghetto" and "crap" no matter what improvements are made.

Shall I start calling you Hustla-Part2?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:46 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
The Hunts Point area is in the midst of a major transition. It just opened 2 new parks aong the Bronx River, one on Barretto street, the other at the end of Lafayette (i believe). The Barretto park has a sand volleyball court, a small beach, paddle ball courts, basketball courts, walking path, nice views on the water, a small outdoor ampitheater, and nice green grass. Just outside Hunts POint on the waterfront (outside of the whitlock station) they are completing a new park called "concrete plant park" which will eventually link up all of the waterfront alonf the Bronx River..including Hunts POint.

There are also plans to tear down the Sheridan and replace with a huge park, bike trails, etc....this has significant support...we shall see how that goes. There ais also a very small artist colony that resides in Hunts POint..and they are most likely associated with "the POint"..a non-for-profit group that is spearheading much of the changes in Hunts Point (founder is Majora Carter..she is doing great things for the community...you shuold join!)

There is definitely a surge in Mexicans all over the Bronx..but Hunts Point is still predominantly PR, with alot of Blacks too. The area has a higher than average crime rate for the Bronx...and has its share of ills..to say the least.

I much prefer longwood..where they have incredible brownstones on Beck, Kelly streets....they are wonderfull condition and sell for over $500K....nice tree lined streets, parking, and good sized buildings.
Two parks. OH YEAHHH!!!!

I mean. 2 parks (correction, playgrounds), wow, Hunts Point is now a great place to live!!!

That's how you make it seem...

Once again, you way over hyped the postives in a neighborhood in a lot of problems...

Concrete Plant Park. A disaster. Now your children can run around just feet from the Bruckner Expressway, can't forget the Sheridan Expressway too. My beef with it is this, it's going to become a homeless/addict/perp hangout. Watch out for needles. This ain't Hunts Point either, it's Longwood, border of Soundview. Scratch one park.

Barretto Point Park. Way down in Hunts Point, couple blocks from the Rikers Island prison barge, AKA the boat, there is a small playground with some paths along the water. It's way down in the middle of nowhere, in an area with some of the worst air pollution in the USA. At night, there is no question this park is used for prostitution. A lot of homeless and drug addicts use it as well, since it sees little use minus fishermen (wacko old men). It is FAR from any residential area. But hey! at least the homies from Simpson Street can lower their boats into the East River.........

BTW, I am astonished by your knowledge of the Bronx. Kelly and Beck are both located well into the LONGWOOD section of the Bronx. Those Brownstones are not in the greatest condition, room for rents, and the area is ****. Stick to the NY Times...

It's a bad neighborhood, it's not changeing. It actually saw it's first ever new residential development in over 30 years maybe 4 years back now (and 30 years ago that was a subsidized building) Subsidized buildings and townhouses on a heavy gang block. The prostitutes turn tricks in their front yards behind their cars. I kid you not. These days the residents of the townhouses deadbolt their gate locks. Well the smart ones (well unless they like to watch).

Anyway, Hunts Point:

Aerial:

Live Local Search

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-27-2007 at 12:57 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the newsflash about Hunts Point and the images nobody has ever seen before...and by the way...I was not surpised that you chose NOT to show the pics of either of the new parks, or the new market rate housing selling for $700,000 (that's right), or the renovated Hunts Point Train Station, or the farmers market the area hosts, or the Fish Parade that the kids enjoy so much...or how about some of the artist renditions of the torn down Sheridan replaced with the new bike trails and parkspace, or the upcoming Metro-North Station.....

Obviously the 2 parks does not erase the problems of the community or make it perfect...but as usual, instead of recognizing that it was a welcome addition to the community, a community that needs parkland, and how it is a positive step...you just say "woohoo...now Hunts Point is perfect." You are being unreasonable..change does not happen overnight..in fact..just to get this park took upwards of 4 years.

Your lack of business experience is daunting...as you have no idea what it takes to put up those houses, or parks, or the costs and bureaucracy involved.....that park symbolized achievement, success, hope....and it is a greta accomplishment that started with the vision of 1 person..Majora Carter. While you would have preferred her, as an MBA graduate with many opportunities, to choose a "better neighborhood", she instead moved to Hunts Point with nothing but a vision and determination to make things better....and that is exactly what she did. She was not a naysayer, she was not negative, she was realistic, she had vision, and she took action. If she had listened to your doom and gloom, there would be no new park, and there would be no green rooves, and there would be no possibility for the sheridan to be torn down and replaced with parkspace, and there would be no idea for a metro-north station....and the host of other ideas and improvements this one person has made.

So while I encourage people to rethink what is means to live in the places you call "the ghetto," you prefer keeping people like her, or anyone else of any substance, out of the communities....nice job.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
Oh I have a Pit Bull myself. He is a red nose, like the one that the guy is holding with the chain. But he is so nice to everybody and other dogs too. No stereotyping them please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City