Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

I finally got around to seeing the Highline, walking from 23rd to 14th, and it baffles me about as much as I thought it would.

Pro
-It's really lovely. the landscaping and furniture are wonderful.

Con
-It was so crowded, about on a par with Fifth Avenue at 2pm on a weekday, that you could neither walk briskly if you were on your way somewhere, nor be leisurely and contemplative with such a crowd.
-An awfully large part of it conveys the message keep off.
-There is no signage to tell you where you are, what latitude.
-There was a performance under one overhang, and since the walkway is all on one level, it was impossible to see anything.
-But the biggest issue seems to me to be the location. If it were in the middle of town, it would be a great general oasis. But I can't help wondering what the point is when it's all the way over on 10th, and requires climbing two flights of stairs to get there, just to walk a cement walkway or sit on a bench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Well the fact that it is a crowded park, even after having to climb stairs shows that it is a successful park.

The point of it isn't to get to any destination faster, it is to be a park where one can stroll, enjoy the city without having to be at street level with the cars.

It isn't in the middle of the city because there isn't an elevated rail line in the middle of the city...if there were, that would be a great idea to turn it into something like this.

As for the performance issue, I am sure it is no different that trying to watch one in Washington Park where if you aren't up front, you aren't going to see much.

You described what it is meant to do, be an elevated walkway for one to stroll and sit, a place to slow New Yorkers down a little. Also it has been a plus that it has encouraged developers and architects to show off their design talents because the highline has been turning into a walk way of modern and contemporary architecture from plenty of big and up-and-coming names in architecture.

Also it started with a small idea and the use of the internet to raise money for a little idea (I believe it was started on Kickstarter, but can't remember now.)

Anyway, it is a very successful new park, that kind of activity is something planners hope for, there are plenty of parks in the city with no one there and little going on, which are usually seen as a failed park.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:03 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I finally got around to seeing the Highline, walking from 23rd to 14th, and it baffles me about as much as I thought it would.

Pro
-It's really lovely. the landscaping and furniture are wonderful.

Con
-It was so crowded, about on a par with Fifth Avenue at 2pm on a weekday, that you could neither walk briskly if you were on your way somewhere, nor be leisurely and contemplative with such a crowd.
-An awfully large part of it conveys the message keep off.
-There is no signage to tell you where you are, what latitude.
-There was a performance under one overhang, and since the walkway is all on one level, it was impossible to see anything.
-But the biggest issue seems to me to be the location. If it were in the middle of town, it would be a great general oasis. But I can't help wondering what the point is when it's all the way over on 10th, and requires climbing two flights of stairs to get there, just to walk a cement walkway or sit on a bench.
Also gives some nice views of the Hudson, esp at sunset. I walked it before and other then that it is very crowded and restricting.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 PM

500 posts, read 571,724 times
It's a decent place to walk without competing with cars, red lights or cyclists. Is it out of the way? well that depends. I'm sure for many its location is fine if they live near by. It was meant to revitalize the area so maybe attracting people from further away is ok.

The only thing that annoys me about it is how many people feel the need to take a picture of someone standing across the path. I had to keep stopping so as not to photo bomb. But for crying out loud people, stop taking pictures across the freaking path.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
It's a decent place to walk without competing with cars, red lights or cyclists. Is it out of the way? well that depends. I'm sure for many its location is fine if they live near by. It was meant to revitalize the area so maybe attracting people from further away is ok.

The only thing that annoys me about it is how many people feel the need to take a picture of someone standing across the path. I had to keep stopping so as not to photo bomb. But for crying out loud people, stop taking pictures across the freaking path.
Oh in this city you can't stop for photos or you will always be stopping. I will walk into anyone's photo, besides if they are a courteous photographer, they will wait for their chance to take a picture rather than inconveniencing others.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well the fact that it is a crowded park, even after having to climb stairs shows that it is a successful park.
Show me one park in Manhattan that isn't packed to the gills on a nice day.
So the crowds in the park is no barometer of success.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 PM

208 posts, read 464,248 times
What did you expect, you picked a lovely Saturday afternoon to walk it...Of course it will be crowed!!!
I think it's wonderful and love walking it.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Show me one park in Manhattan that isn't packed to the gills on a nice day.
So the crowds in the park is no barometer of success.
Probably a good point, but I would still bet there is something, I was sitting in Scheafer Park by the Williamsburg Bridge that only had a handful of people in it, but that is Brooklyn. Still that doesn't change the fact that people use it.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:04 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,081 times
Personally I enjoy it at dinner time and sunset. When I worked nights in an office at Chelsea Market, I made it a point to come up there for a little bit before going into the office. Same thing applies if I'm meeting someone late in that area.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
But the biggest issue seems to me to be the location. If it were in the middle of town, it would be a great general oasis. But I can't help wondering what the point is when it's all the way over on 10th, and requires climbing two flights of stairs to get there, just to walk a cement walkway or sit on a bench.

If the location were better and the climb up the stairs easier (they DO have an elevator) wouldn't the crowds that O/P despised be even WORSE?

Whenever I've gone (mid-day, mid-week) the crowds were never a problem.

I think it's a very nice amentity for the City, world-class even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City