Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 AM

82 posts, read 218,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
That is a surprise. I thought I could get a mortgage around 400k. Anyway, mortgage is not a big issue, though I think it is silly not to take advantage of today's low mortgage rates.
I'd be surprised if you can get a mortgage easily at all, assuming you have no U.S. credit history. Even large amounts of cash will not necessarily help that. Again, perhaps your international organization can offer a loan guarantee or something to fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varan View Post
I'd be surprised if you can get a mortgage easily at all, assuming you have no U.S. credit history. Even large amounts of cash will not necessarily help that. Again, perhaps your international organization can offer a loan guarantee or something to fix the problem.
So mortgage is impossible even for someon who just arrives in US but is willing to put up 80% down and earn a good salary? It sounds ridiculous

Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
I do not expect a full time maid in NYC. but I do want to have some cleaning services once or twice a week,
How does your wife spend her day?

Twice a week for 4 hours each day can be had for $150/week. But a pair of rubber gloves for the wife is $2.99.

Quote:
So mortgage is impossible even for someon who just arrives in US but is willing to put up 80% down
Just put down 100% and a lot of the nonsense goes away. Or else just look for a place that costs 20% less. Cash is always king.

Don't worry you will be fine if you divest yourself of that 3 bedroom apartment...perhaps 2 will do?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How does your wife spend her day?

Just put down 100% and a lot of the nonsense goes away. Or else just look for a place that costs 20% less. Cash is always king.
The Mortgage rates are low. I can use cash to earn higher yields. And it is really unfair to new comers not being able to get a mortgage even if he is capable of paying

Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
The Mortgage rates are low. I can use cash to earn higher yields. And it is really unfair to new comers not being able to get a mortgage even if he is capable of paying

Well its worth a try if you have a large downpayment. I have an offshore account with a bank that offers international mortgages. I'm not sure if that is applicable to the US, but youn should investigate.

As for the alleged unfairness, in such situations people here generally write a letter to the President to complain.

82 posts, read 218,833 times
Quote:
I don't know if a mortgage is impossible, but I think very unlikely to be easy. The entire process is deeply linked to credit history, US income tax returns, etc. Perhaps someone else who has moved here can weigh in and explain whether it is even possible. I wouldn't count on it, though.

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
i can use cash to earn higher yields

where???????

Old 06-27-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
where???????
I am earning 8 % fixed interest on my Chinese yuan deposit. And Yuan is appreciating against the dollar. So in dollar terms, the yield is easily more than 10%

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
I am earning 8 % fixed interest on my Chinese yuan deposit. And Yuan is appreciating against the dollar. So in dollar terms, the yield is easily more than 10%
Yes but you'll be imprisoned if you try to withdraw the money.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
True, the term quality of life is quite vague. I definitely understand that the living cost in NYC is extremely high as compared to shanghai, china, where I live now. Interestingly, the cost of living survey done by some consulting firm does rank shanghai way ahead of NYC.

I expect to live comfortably at least. A 3 bedroom apartment or house is minimum, though it does not need to be in Manhattan. My wife and I are expecting kids and my parents will visit me from time to time. that is why I need a big space. I do not expect a full time maid in NYC. but I do want to have some cleaning services once or twice a week, and have a nanny after the child is born. I just wonder how tight is it with a take home salary of 7500.
Frankly, the info you provide is just too vague, "quality" and "comfortable" are relatives, different for social, class and economic reasons, as well as quality/comfort can vary GREATLY between 1st and 3rd worlds. Hence your insistence upon maid service, as well as nanny. Here, such is more than a simple luxury, and generally is regulated to the upper middle class and beyond.

Let's make this simple, generally, a family of 4 to live in solid middle class comfort requires roughly $US150K. A Single with that income can live quite well in the fashion, I imagine you envision; but for that same single to maintain the lifestyle with a family will need roughly US$300K to have a relatively "comfortable" NYC lifestyle. ("Comfortable", being defined as having no financial worries.)

BTW, US$500K w/b a sizeable downpayment on $1M, and you'd still be looking at US$5,000 to US$7000 in mortgage and monthly carrying costs. This w/n include the rest of life expenses. In addition, for most of the upper middle class, private school is the ONLY option, and that will run US$20,000 to $50,000 per annum.

A maid and nanny, depending upon quality and class, can also run US$25,000 to $50,000 per, and c/b significantly more.

I hope that gives you a sense of where you, your income, standards, and desires, will fit in the scheme.

In NYC compromise is a MUST for virtuallly everyone, unless one has wealth. The above as described, while relatively comfortable, still comes with compromise.

Of course, there are many middle class and below NYers who survive on much less and would find such a lifestyle luxuriois, the reality is that a majority of Manhattan families, below 96th Street, live such a lifestyle, as well as a steadily increasing number above 96th and in Brooklyn.

Jfyi, your income will likely go furthest in the suburbs of New Jersey; and/or along the Hudson river in NJ, from Newport to Riveredge.

All in all. US$95K w/n fully support your desires, but with certain compromises and frugal management, you could enjoy NYC and live well, but modestly. If your wife/husband can earn an additional $50K, life gets significantly easier, though still with some compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City