Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
This is a funny story lol I went to pick up a friend of mine at his house to take him to JFK because he was tired of living in NY and their little laws and rules, wahtever that ment. So he comes out of his house throws a very small bag into the garbage cans in the corner and gets a ticket! hahahahha We couldnt do anything but laugh anyway what are the laws?
I remember when i was about 10 i threw a bottle of juice inside the garbage truck and the guy yelled at me really bad.
Curious, why did he do that, rather than use his buildings garbage?

I've never had the slightest inclination to do that. I have seee others do it.

Laziness!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
NY is one of the dirtiest filthiest Citys in the world, we dont have garbage rules, just throw it anywhere seems to be the policy.

You would think our retard mayor would concentrate a little more on the dept of sanitation, rather than the size of a drink.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Public trash cans are not to be used for private home use. In other words, the public trash can is for when you're walking down the street and you wanna throw out your candy wrapper. You don't take a bag of trash from your house or apartment and use the corner trash can. There should be signs on them that say "NO HOUSEHOLD TRASH".
Correct.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,826 times
What is a landlord's responsibilty in terms of maintanace around the house???
I live in a 3 family house, with the landlord's son living on one of the floors.
There used to be bins outside to throw out the regular trash, paper and plastic recycling and I would throw out the trash there not to let it linger in the house. The landlord's son would not take out the trash bins for weeks and the garbage would pile up outside spilling out of the garbage bins. Recently, the landlord's son took AWAY all the bins!!! I am still putting my garbage on the ground in the area where the bins were as it is not my responsibility to take out the trash during pick up days, my rent does not have a reduction for me to do custodial maintenance around the property nor is it stipulated in my lease. My questions... is this against the law? (NYC) What are my options?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,205 times
I've seen the "No household trash" signs warning of the $100 fine on the public trash cans.

However, what are the laws around putting trash into other buildings' trash bins? Say you walk by a building, have trash - can you put it in their bins or is that fineable too?

Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
The city should mandate all garbage should be held in steel containers, and this would eliminate the rat problem and much of the litter in NYC. They can have large designated steel containers on every block where people throw their garbage and the city can simply empty out one steel container (or several depending on the area), or require all garbage to be in steel cans...which serves the same purpose.

As it stands now, leaving bags on the street is a a serious public health crisis. I am hoping that the next Mayor solves this problem.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The city should mandate all garbage should be held in steel containers, and this would eliminate the rat problem and much of the litter in NYC. They can have large designated steel containers on every block where people throw their garbage and the city can simply empty out one steel container (or several depending on the area), or require all garbage to be in steel cans...which serves the same purpose.

As it stands now, leaving bags on the street is a a serious public health crisis. I am hoping that the next Mayor solves this problem.

me too, because this one isn't cutting it.

Bay parkway and 86th Street in Brooklyn the whole entire intersection is a complete pig stuy.
TD bank never cleans and there is litter all over the place. garbage cans are there, always overflowing.
it makes me sad to see my neighborhood look like this.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/color]
me too, because this one isn't cutting it.

Bay parkway and 86th Street in Brooklyn the whole entire intersection is a complete pig stuy.
TD bank never cleans and there is litter all over the place. garbage cans are there, always overflowing.
it makes me sad to see my neighborhood look like this.
Interesting. Not that I pay attention all over the city, but not to long ago I thought about this.

In my area of Astori, there are these new type of garbage *covers* at the corners. Insider are typical gray plastic containers. The "covers" are tall green painted metal containers which fully and totally cover the plastic bins. There is a lid at the top.

These things WORK!!!!

There is no spillage whatsoever.

The most significant part is that they are impervious to vermin, Rats!! I watched onceafter a big snow, a rat/mouse come out of a corner sewer grate. His little home must have been full of snow/water. Anyway, he tried for the garbage bin, but c/n penetrate the metal casing, cold not climb up either, too smooth. So they work.

I also watched as the thing crawled along the rather long sidewalk edge of my building seeking a crack to enter. I always wondered how mice/rats get into buildings. I was about to freak, and thinking how I'm going to deal with the LL about this. I was happy to see Mr, Rat have no joy! My building to which I pay a good deal of rent specifically for excellent mainteance.

Mr. Rat gave up and crawled back to his sewer. So on my end both the Sanitation Dept and my building get a

Best pic I could find of the bins:
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010...n--300x300.jpg

@Sobroguy

Found this re Regulations (did"t read it):
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/downloa..._Rules_Reg.pdf

Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
That was helpful.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,109,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

Yep.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Interesting. Not that I pay attention all over the city, but not to long ago I thought about this.

In my area of Astori, there are these new type of garbage *covers* at the corners. Insider are typical gray plastic containers. The "covers" are tall green painted metal containers which fully and totally cover the plastic bins. There is a lid at the top.

These things WORK!!!!

There is no spillage whatsoever.

The most significant part is that they are impervious to vermin, Rats!! I watched onceafter a big snow, a rat/mouse come out of a corner sewer grate. His little home must have been full of snow/water. Anyway, he tried for the garbage bin, but c/n penetrate the metal casing, cold not climb up either, too smooth. So they work.

I also watched as the thing crawled along the rather long sidewalk edge of my building seeking a crack to enter. I always wondered how mice/rats get into buildings. I was about to freak, and thinking how I'm going to deal with the LL about this. I was happy to see Mr, Rat have no joy! My building to which I pay a good deal of rent specifically for excellent mainteance.

Mr. Rat gave up and crawled back to his sewer. So on my end both the Sanitation Dept and my building get a

Best pic I could find of the bins:
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010...n--300x300.jpg

@Sobroguy

Found this re Regulations (did"t read it):
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/downloa..._Rules_Reg.pdf

Yes, we have those new garbage cans at 86th and bay parkway. There are 2 placed at each corner, thus equalling 8 all together. While the idea is good with the tapered top unfortunetely, when they get full to the top, some stuff sticks out, blows to the ground, etc.

Now even with more garbage pails at this particular intersection, there is still a lot of litter and papers all over the place. I am going to have to start taking pictures and documenting it. There is TD bank at the corner, and the litter in front of it is un-believeable.

So while the City has provides us with garbage pails, I don't think the street cleaners are doing a good job at all. I think they need man power to actually sweep and pick up, not just blow the papers around.

There is also the phone store on the corner and that too has litter all over the place.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,385 times
Sanitation cans are meant for litter such as cups napkins bottles for pedestrians..but they are not meant for bags of household waste no matter how big the bag is. The cans have a sign that says there is a 100 $.fee for such violation. Don't want a ticket? DON'T use the basket as your personal garbage can. Those cans get so full with bags there is no room for actual litter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City