Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 PM

559 posts, read 1,112,123 times

Advertisements

I've never been there, but I've frequently heard good things about the place. And this weekend, there's a positive article in the July 22 Real Estate section of the NY Times. I would greatly appreciate the opinion especially of those who actually live in Greenpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 PM

188 posts, read 277,041 times
Would you ?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,504 times
I have for the last year. I like it but I've avoided getting too attached, for reasons that should be obvious from that Times article. I hope it turns out to be wrong.

If what's described in that article appeals to you, I guess now's the time to get in.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
I rode my bike there today for the first time. I thought is was nice. It is old, but all the streets looked good. I was near Manhattan Ave, Java Street, McGuniess. McCarren park, it looked nice to me.

Way better than Williamsburg.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,245,318 times
I dunno what Greenpoint has become but it used to be a Polish neighborhood with a liberal sprinkling of Spanish for good measure. I used to work at the Greenpoint Manufacturing and Design Center on the end of Manhatten Ave. I would walk from LIC over the Pulaski Bridge. I always liked the neighborhood and have never had better kielbasa ever than I did in GP.

So, yes, I would live there.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I have for the last year. I like it but I've avoided getting too attached, for reasons that should be obvious from that Times article. I hope it turns out to be wrong.

If what's described in that article appeals to you, I guess now's the time to get in.
Egads, is this the article?

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/r...pagewanted=all

Screwing up another perfectly good neighborhood.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 AM

436 posts, read 565,475 times
Greenpoint has been gentrifying for a few years now. I had a Polish friend back in high school that really disliked the increasing hipster presence in the area. We had both seen what was happening to Astoria.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
Greenpoint has been gentrifying for a few years now. I had a Polish friend back in high school that really disliked the increasing hipster presence in the area. We had both seen what was happening to Astoria.
I used to live in Astoria and LIC in the 90s. Back then Vernon-Jackson Blvds were a working class neighborhood that had a post industrial feel to it. Astoria was still very family oriented. My stepson went to PS85. I loved Greenpoint the way it used to be. It had the right amount of grit but wasn't a bad area by a long shot. It had a nice mix of Puerto Rican and Polish. There were several Bodegas on Manhattan Ave where you could get Spanish coffee and Cuban sandwiches. You walk a few blocks and find mom and pop Polish Restaurants that were second to none.

Oh well. I guess change is inevitable.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
I worked in the area the past year by the Nassau Ave stop on the G. While the area has changed, at night it becomes like Williamsburg because of all of the bars and clubs popping up. It's not unheard of to see beer bottles and vomit on the street on a Saturday or Sunday morning when going for the long line at brunch.

Rent has been steadily rising, but really the area is just becoming an extension of Williamsburg. The downside is also that the only train in the area is the G unless you want to walk or take a bus to the L train or over the Pulaski to the 7 or N trains.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I worked in the area the past year by the Nassau Ave stop on the G.
Ha, I used to hang out at The Turkey's Nest on Bedford Ave at 12 st. Have staggered many times over to the G to get back to LIC. Back then The Turkey's Nest was a rowdy neighborhood bar, loaded with working class stiffs like myself. Was a fun place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City