Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:14 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times

Advertisements

NYC while you can do it. You can always chose one of the many suburban Utopia's springing up in the South and Southwest. Come to a real city before you settle down.
I waited till I was 39. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
PS-Sell your car. You won't need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
NYC or Atlanta huh?

Do you hate really cold winters? NYC has very cold winters and very humid summers. Blizzards, snowstorms, thunderstorms, heatwaves. January, 10 degrees, wind chill of -5. Summer 95 degrees, humidity makes it feel 105.

Cons of NYC: Overpopulation, noise, expensive, terrible housing (the worst for all low income areas, but even in some decent areas the housing can be real bad), dirty, lack of housing, lots of crime, big ghettos, gritty/old looking (unless you like that), terror threat, large city, people have nasty attitude (very large city, no one cares).

Pro's: 24 hour subway (or hourly train late at night), which covers most areas. Subway stations are dirty and run down though. 24 hour night life 7 days a week in Manhattan and some parts of some other boroughs. Lots of people, (if you like that), large city (if you like that), lots of choices for different things.

If your young you may like NYC, a reasonably priced area, with low crime, and middle income. You may like the people, the exploration, the clubs and all that.

If your older and have a family you probably won't like NYC. No time for the bull****, the schools are awful, crime, expenses, and housing is an issue.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:50 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
Crime in NYC is much lower than Atlanta, and you should make more money in NYC.

There are plenty of places to live, nice if you can afford them, not so nice if you can't afford them, just like anyplace else.

NYC is colder in the winter, but not as hot as Atlanta in the summer.

There are trade offs to both. Only you can decide.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Crime in NYC is much lower than Atlanta, and you should make more money in NYC.

There are plenty of places to live, nice if you can afford them, not so nice if you can't afford them, just like anyplace else.

NYC is colder in the winter, but not as hot as Atlanta in the summer.

There are trade offs to both. Only you can decide.
Not really. Both cities have areas where the crime rate is very high. In both cities, your chances of being the victim of a crime is similar.

You can probably make more cash in NYC, but also spend more cash. Living cost are higher.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Not really. Both cities have areas where the crime rate is very high. In both cities, your chances of being the victim of a crime is similar.
I have to disagree with that. New York is generally regarded as one of the safest large cities in the nation. While there are horrific parts of the city (East New York, Brownsville, South Bronx, etc.), the city as a whole, is fairly safe especially compared to Atlanta. New York's total crime rate is 2,801 (per 100,000 residents) compared with 10,839 for Atlanta, nearly four times as high. Similarly, Atlanta's murder rate is 26.0, one of the highest for major cities, compared to New York's 7.4. Atlanta also has triple the rate of robbery and forcible rape than New York.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I have to disagree with that. New York is generally regarded as one of the safest large cities in the nation. While there are horrific parts of the city (East New York, Brownsville, South Bronx, etc.), the city as a whole, is fairly safe especially compared to Atlanta. New York's total crime rate is 2,801 (per 100,000 residents) compared with 10,839 for Atlanta, nearly four times as high. Similarly, Atlanta's murder rate is 26.0, one of the highest for major cities, compared to New York's 7.4. Atlanta also has triple the rate of robbery and forcible rape than New York.
The title "Safest City" is just a sc@m. The fact is, on a world wide scale NYC is no way the safest city. There are large metro areas with much lower crime rates. Atlanta and NYC are on the same playing field, along with the rest of the USA. Same problems.

The city does still have problems with crime all over. Even areas heavily visited by tourist. Robberies, pick pocketing, it all happends even in Times Square. I've seen people popp car windows in broad daylight even down in Midtown. Or old problems like prostetutes west of Times Square.

The numbers are just numbers. The fact is, your chances of being the victim of a crime in both cities is relatively the same. Of course that depends on the area you are in.

If your in a low income section of Atlanta or NYC your chances jump. Both of these cities have large low income Black/Latino communties where poverty, gangs, housing, crime, and drugs are a problem. When you have a city with large communities like this, crime is a problem.

Your not guarenteed being the victim of a crime in either city. What I ment by crime being a problem in NYC, you will see more crime becuase there are more crimes going on. You will pass broken windows in cars, stripped cars, see purse snatches, police flying around. You will see it more frequently on the news as well. If your depressed by that sort of thing, you have to think about it. Then again, Atlanta is a large city as well, so same thing.

Both cities are in the same range.

Last edited by Hustla718; 10-29-2006 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-29-2006, 01:37 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
The title "Safest City" is just a sc@m. The fact is, on a world wide scale NYC is no way the safest city. There are large metro areas with much lower crime rates. Atlanta and NYC are on the same playing field, along with the rest of the USA. Same problems.
On a worldwide scale, of course NYC is not the safest city, but we're talking about a direct comparison between New York and Atlanta. They have the same problems, as do any two cities, but to varying degrees.
Quote:
The numbers are just numbers. The fact is, your chances of being the victim of a crime in both cities is relatively the same. Of course that depends on the area you are in.
So crime statistics mean absolutely nothing? So Beverly Hills is just as dangerous as Compton? I'm not trying to be patronizing, but it's just that I don't understand how you can just gloss over such a huge difference in numbers between the crime rates in NYC in Atlanta. The crime rate by definition measures your likelihood in being victim of a crime in a given city, and Atlanta's crime rate in various areas is two to four times that of New York meaning that you are much more likely to be victim of a crime in Atlanta. I'm sure if a further breakdown of stats were available, you'd be able to isolate it by neighborhoods and see which city had more concentrated crime however, thereby determining where the "average" innocent person is more likely to be the victim of a crime.
Quote:
If your in a low income section of Atlanta or NYC your chances jump. Both of these cities have large low income Black/Latino communties where poverty, gangs, housing, crime, and drugs are a problem. When you have a city with large communities like this, crime is a problem.
Again, no one's saying that crime is not a problem in New York, just that there's a much bigger problem in Atlanta.
Quote:
Your not guarenteed being the victim of a crime in either city. What I ment by crime being a problem in NYC, you will see more crime becuase there are more crimes going on. You will pass broken windows in cars, stripped cars, see purse snatches, police flying around. You will see it more frequently on the news as well. If your depressed by that sort of thing, you have to think about it. Then again, Atlanta is a large city as well, so same thing.
In terms of volume, of course there are more crimes in New York. It's a city of eight million compared to only 400,000 in Atlanta. Similarly, New York is extremely high-density whereas in Atlanta, things are more spread-out. As such, in New York, you're much more likely to see homeless people, prostitutes, broken windows and such just because of the sheer volume of things/people/situations you pass or encounter on any given day. In New York, you can't cocoon yourself away from the fact that you're in a large city with all the urban ills that come along with it (graffiti, homelessness, smells, etc.) as you can in many of the sprawly and suburban Sunbelt cities.

I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this because in your opinion "numbers are just numbers" whereas in my opinion, the numbers speak for themselves.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
On a worldwide scale, of course NYC is not the safest city, but we're talking about a direct comparison between New York and Atlanta.
And that's why the title safest city is unnecessary and misleading.

Quote:
So crime statistics mean absolutely nothing? So Beverly Hills is just as dangerous as Compton?
Common sense will tell you Beverly Hills is not as dangerous as Compton. Compton has high concentration of low income minority people and a generational gang culture. Beverly Hills does not. You don't need stats to figure that one out. This is Atlanta and NYC, both cities face simialar problems in terms of crime. Both cities have large concentrations of low income Blacks and in NYC, Latinos as well. Different areas in both cities have different needs. The chances of being a victim in certain areas of both cities is higher then in others.

Quote:
thereby determining where the "average" innocent person is more likely to be the victim of a crime.
No. Most crimes target a specific victim. Only violent crime often random is robbery. Rapes are often commited by someone known to the victim. Murders are usually perp on perp. Usually disputes or drugs.

You can easily drop your chances of being a victim of a robbery in both cities by: stay indoors late at night, dress conservatively (No flashy jewelry, ect), stay out of low income areas. Felony assaults are by gunshot or weapon. Serious beatdowns (like getting jumped). Again victim and perp are usually known to each other.

Also most crimes are Black on Black (and Latinos). Sadly our people often attack our own. Then again that's all there is in the ghetto neighborhoods of both cities, the same faces. Your more likely to be the vic of a robbery living in a low income area. More likely to be the victim of a burglary. An autotheft. ect. The vast majority of homicides in both cities are Black/Latino. Same for the criminals who commit the acts.

Other crimes that are either stranger2stranger or known to person are misd crimes. These crimes you won't see in the stats. We will never know. I believe they are pretty much the same per person among both cities. Fist fights, larceny, ect. It should be about equal per capita. Mabey some small fluctuations.

Quote:
Again, no one's saying that crime is not a problem in New York, just that there's a much bigger problem in Atlanta.
I think both cities have a very large problem with crime. Both cities have large low income Black or Latino populations where crime is accepted to be cool. A way of solving problems, having fun. Then you have machoism in the Latino communities in NYC. Also those living in deep poverty, at a disadvantage racially will do what they have to in order to survive.

Quote:
In terms of volume, of course there are more crimes in New York. It's a city of eight million compared to only 400,000 in Atlanta. Similarly, New York is extremely high-density whereas in Atlanta, things are more spread-out. As such, in New York, you're much more likely to see homeless people, prostitutes, broken windows and such just because of the sheer volume of things/people/situations you pass or encounter on any given day. In New York, you can't cocoon yourself away from the fact that you're in a large city with all the urban ills that come along with it (graffiti, homelessness, smells, etc.) as you can in many of the sprawly and suburban Sunbelt cities.
Okay. Agreed.

Quote:
I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this because in your opinion "numbers are just numbers" whereas in my opinion, the numbers speak for themselves.
Numbers are just numbers. I don't think the mother of a child who was hit by a stray bullet in Harlem would agree with that. Or a person mugged while walking across an overpass in the Bronx. Or a businessman who's store has been hit 3 times in a year over in Brooklyn.

The fact is crime is a problem in both cities. The title "safest city" is very misleading and just not true. Your not going to get instantly robbed or killed in Atlanta or NYC, but the chance of being a victim is there in both cities.

Well that's crime. There are other factors that will make you choose either Atlanta or NYC.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:37 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
Statitics are not just numbers. We're supposed to disregard actual data, and instead use a concept based on opinion and unproven argument? LOL

I say there are 237 states, not 50. Numbers are just numbers.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Numbers are not just numbers, especially when they come from the same source. Atlanta is more dangerous than NYC. It's a fact. Poverty in the south is the highest in the U.S. Another fact.
So no matter what I do, Atlanta is so much more dangerous then NYC that if I go see a show in Downtown Atlanta, or take out my trash in my neighborhood, the chances of gettin mugged are guarenteed?

Back when NYC's murder rate was higher, and robbery rate, NYC was so much more dangerous then Atlanta at that time you were guerenteed a victim?

Now and back then your chances were about the same if you simply didn't associate yourself with criminals, criminal activity. Both cities crime rates have dropped due to the end of the crack era.

And NYC has 2 of the 3 poorest congressional districts in the USA. Fact. Poverty in NYC isn't rural, I live in a shack and grow food outside and have warm tempeture poverty. Poverty in NYC is overcrowded run down tenements and housing projects. You can't grow food and in the winter you hold your blanket tight poverty. It's not exactly a walk in the park. Living cost in NYC are also much higher and people spend most of their cash just trying to pay the rent.

We are not talking the South anyway. We are talking Atlanta and NYC remember. Are you some kind of NYC fan or real estate? All your post try and boost NYC?

NYC is a great city. Lots of life, things to do. However FACT is the chances of you being the victim of a crime in both cities is about the same. You walk in the wrong place at the wrong time and you are ****ed. NYC's robbery rate is still pretty high compared to cities around the world. In the low income areas it is very high, as well as Atlanta.

My tip is stay out of the ghetto areas in both cities and you should not have issues with crime. Numbers are numbers, balony. I've been working for the city of NY, in some of the highest crime areas long enough to know that. NYC's robbery stats are balony anyway. We reclassify the hell out of those at least where I work. There are bad areas, and there are good areas. There is always a chance something can happen in a nicer area, but it's always pretty low. In the bad areas, the chances are always there, and much higher then the good areas. In every city.

Last edited by Hustla718; 10-29-2006 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City