Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
him being mayor wouldn't effect that at all. his company is one third of the financial data market... if he wanted insider trading tips.. i'm pretty sure he already had them.

now that he is mayor do you think that he walks up to business and say hey give me any details of operations no one knows about or you're going to jail?

right-e-o ol'chap right-e-o indeed
Many politicians do get insider trading tips. Few care thats why its never in the mainstream media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 02:09 PM

145 posts, read 284,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
him being mayor wouldn't effect that at all. his company is one third of the financial data market... if he wanted insider trading tips.. i'm pretty sure he already had them.

now that he is mayor do you think that he walks up to business and say hey give me any details of operations no one knows about or you're going to jail?

right-e-o ol'chap right-e-o indeed

Him being the most powerful man in the city, arguably the state, and among the country; with some of the most powerful big shots in the financial industry as close friends.......he absolutely gets inside info IMO. He doesn't need to threaten anybody with jail. That is how it works amongst friends.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM

115 posts, read 190,530 times
I heard he made his money writing rap songs behind some of the biggest rappers

Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I suspected several years back that our illustrious Mayor has it in the back of his mind to run for President. And the frequency with which he comments on national issues, as opposed to purely local ones, only serves to buttress my original thoughts on the matter.
My worst nightmare!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
then you must not know very much about his businesses, specifically Bloomberg, L.P. and how he earned his wealth
You must either be ignorant or not so bright. I don't mean to be rude but I can't draw any other inference.
When Bloomberg spent ~100MM of his own capital on his campaign, many wondered why he'd do that.

Since you claim that you work for a global bank, you must be familiar with Bloomberg terminals. I won't claim that Bloomberg Terminals and the services they offer aren't first rate. However, the problem lies in an individual being mayor of a financial capital such as NYC and also owning a major stake in a financial services corporation. Do you see any conflict of interest?

Would big financial players try to get on the good side of the Mayor and his admin by going to his competitors such as Thomson Reuters, Six Direct, Morningstar, etc? Most of Bloomberg LP's recent growth occurred outside of the US and NYC's status as a GLOBAL financial capital played nicely into this. Since any financial institution worth it's salt needs a large presence in NYC. Throw in the ****storm and illegalities that domestic and global banks have been in since 2008 and they need to be on the good side of Mayor more than ever. How better than to line his pockets? If they fail, his company suffers. Mutually assured destruction? lol

Bloomberg being mayor of NYC provides a HUGE competitive advantage to Bloomberg LP. I have no doubt that this is the reason that Bloomberg chose to run for Mayor initially and that his mayoralty was the single biggest contributor to the rise of Bloomberg LP and to his wealth.

Don't even begin to claim that since Bloomberg doesn't sit on the board or have executive control of Bloomberg LP or , yada, yada that he can't financially benefit from his stake in the corp while being mayor. The argument here is not that Bloomberg LP isn't a well run company or doesn't provide good services. It's that there is an inherent conflict of interest on the Mayor's part and his position provides an inordinate competitive advantage to a company that he has majority control of.

There's no way a saavy businessman would spend ~100MM unless he thought he'd get a good ROI on it. Indeed he did. His ROI was over 5 billion USD on that 100MM. Not too shabby if you ask me.

All of you who don't understand this are naive or just plain dumb. Sorry to say.This is the real world. It's dirty and corrupt.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bloomberg comes up with all of these clownish proposals to draw attention away from the real story throughout his admin. Do you really think Bloomberg gives a **** about a fat NY'ers? It's absurd.
How does a majority owner of a financial firm become mayor and stay mayor for 12 years of a global financial capital? This is conflict of interest and corruption 101.
Imagine that you were a majority owner of a nut conglomerate and then became King of Squirrel planet! Short of closing down the company, you'd be making money hand over fist.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 09-20-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You must either be ignorant or not so bright. I don't mean to be rude but I can't draw any other inference.
When Bloomberg spent ~100MM of his own capital on his campaign, many wondered why he'd do that.

Since you claim that you work for a global bank, you must be familiar with Bloomberg terminals. I won't claim that Bloomberg Terminals and the services they offer aren't first rate. However, the problem lies in an individual being mayor of a financial capital such as NYC and also owning a major stake in a financial services corporation. Do you see any conflict of interest?

Would big financial players try to get on the good side of the Mayor and his admin by going to his competitors such as Thomson Reuters, Six Direct, Morningstar, etc? Most of Bloomberg LP's recent growth occurred outside of the US and NYC's status as a GLOBAL financial capital played nicely into this. Since any financial institution worth it's salt needs a large presence in NYC. Throw in the ****storm and illegalities that domestic and global banks have been in since 2008 and they need to be on the good side of Mayor more than ever. How better than to line his pockets? If they fail, his company suffers. Mutually assured destruction? lol

Bloomberg being mayor of NYC provides a HUGE competitive advantage to Bloomberg LP. I have no doubt that this is the reason that Bloomberg chose to run for Mayor initially and that his mayoralty was the single biggest contributor to the rise of Bloomberg LP and to his wealth.

Don't even begin to claim that since Bloomberg doesn't sit on the board or have executive control of Bloomberg LP or , yada, yada that he can't financially benefit from his stake in the corp while being mayor. The argument here is not that Bloomberg LP isn't a well run company or doesn't provide good services. It's that there is an inherent conflict of interest on the Mayor's part and his position provides an inordinate competitive advantage to a company that he has majority control of.

There's no way a saavy businessman would spend ~100MM unless he thought he'd get a good ROI on it. Indeed he did. His ROI was over 5 billion USD on that 100MM. Not too shabby if you ask me.

All of you who don't understand this are naive or just plain dumb. Sorry to say.This is the real world. It's dirty and corrupt.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bloomberg comes up with all of these clownish proposals to draw attention away from the real story throughout his admin. Do you really think Bloomberg gives a **** about a fat NY'ers? It's absurd.
How does a majority owner of a financial firm become mayor and stay mayor for 12 years of a global financial capital? This is conflict of interest and corruption 101.
Imagine that you were a majority owner of a nut conglomerate and then became King of Squirrel planet!
reps ~ I hope SobroGuy reads this....LOL

Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 PM

145 posts, read 284,708 times
wawaweewa owning punks...

Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
reps ~ I hope SobroGuy reads this....LOL
I can go into the nuances of the argument and write another 10 posts easily but you just can't convince some people. I don't know if people are just naive or maybe they've had too easy of a life. lol

I also want to reiterate that I'm not claiming that Bloomerg LP wouldn't have been successful without Bloomberg becoming mayor.Bloomberg LP provides good services and is a quality company. However, I have no doubt that it wouldn't have been nearly as successful without it's majority owner becoming mayor.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I can go into the nuances of the argument and write another 10 posts easily but you just can't convince some people. I don't know if people are just naive or maybe they've had too easy of a life. lol

I understand. For some, Mike is their messiah and a few on C-D here are his prophets.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bellakin..the reason why anyone is telling you to do anything is because WE (the government) are ultimately responsible for your decisions. You know what happens when you don't have healthcare but show up at the hospital for treatment because you have diabetes from eating fat laden food every day? You get treatment and walk away from the bill, leaving government (Taxpayers) to foot the bill. You know what happens when you smoke yourself into lung cancer at the age of 50 but don't have healthcare or your provider drops you? You walk into a hospital and get treatment for life, and stick the bill to government (taxpayer).

So if you want to know why government has the "right" to tell you what you can eat/drink, it's because after you are done being "free" to eat/drink what you want, and telling the world "nobody can tell me what to do I am my own person and make my own decisions and this is my life", and you get sick from all that "freedom" (aka cartons of cigarettes and big macs), you come knocking on government to take care of you medically and financially, FOR LIFE. What happened to all that "freedom" now? Funny how that works huh?

The day you sign away your right (you hate that word when the government has a right remember?) to medical and financial care for life, is the day you are actually free to do whatever it is you want...because only then are YOU the only one responsible for your decisions and poor choices. Until that time, government will continue having the right to tell you what to do because they are the ones ultimately responsible, not you.

PS- they been telling you what to do for years now.
Whats next the govf telling you the right on who to have sex with in order to lower the chances of unwanted pregnancies and irreversible stds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City