Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,578,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Its probably better to wait until the kids are in college.

Then you and your hubby can get a nice 1-2 bd apt in manhattan and live your ideal urban life style.

Trust me, when you have kids, the "urban" things don't really matter as much anymore.

My wife and I had a blast being a young married couple in the city. But when the kid popped out, its time to stop being selfish and think about whats best for the kids.

Right now, its still great living in the city with an infant. Although I dread the thought of living in the suburbs, I likely will move their in the best interest of the kid when he's older.
If you do consider the move when you are older, my advice is consider which suburb. All suburbs are not the same at all. A walkable, established suburb with easy city access (by mass transport and car) and not 95% homogenous will make a transition from the city easier. I'd also recommend one with a history of community events, a downtown that is active in the evenings and on weekends, diversity of restaurants and facilities such as cinema, theater, pools, ice rink etc., and one which is not purely residences. Something on the opposite end of the spectrum than the autocentric exurb as mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM

215 posts, read 519,996 times
Quote:

Then you and your hubby can get a nice 1-2 bd apt in manhattan and live your ideal urban life style.

Trust me, when you have kids, the "urban" things don't really matter as much anymore.

My wife and I had a blast being a young married couple in the city. But when the kid popped out, its time to stop being selfish and think about whats best for the kids.

Right now, its still great living in the city with an infant. Although I dread the thought of living in the suburbs, I likely will move their in the best interest of the kid when he's older.
Why do you think suburbs are better for kids? It is mostly a stereotype.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,094 times
Quote:

Why is it always in the best interest of the children to live in the suburbs? City/suburbs are a personal choice and obviously she seems to think it's in the best interest of her kids too. Just because you decide that 300K is too small for a family in NYC does not make it gospel (in my opinion, it's ridiculous).

Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,339,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Why is it always in the best interest of the children to live in the suburbs? City/suburbs are a personal choice and obviously she seems to think it's in the best interest of her kids too. Just because you decide that 300K is too small for a family in NYC does not make it gospel (in my opinion, it's ridiculous).
Suburbs vs city are a personal/family choice, but if the choice is NYC public schools (and knowing neighborhood residents aren't guaranteed a spot in the best elementary schools due to overcrowding AND not every smart kid can get into Stuy/comprobale magnet schools) vs most of the NY/NJ/CT suburban public schools, the "choice" part of the equation kind of goes away. Not everyone can afford or get intro the better NYC private schools.

I think that's all 85dumbo was getting at. Options are more limited in the city and more abundant in the suburbs with regards to school & lifestyle.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM

215 posts, read 519,996 times
What are the options for lifestyle in suburbs? I would say you have almost no options: you need a car, you have no options for school without moving. There is more choice in NYC, but there is also more competition and opportunities to make bad choices )

Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 AM

11,656 posts, read 12,740,635 times
There are private schools in the suburbs that accept and provide transportation to children living within the NYC limits. Depending where you live, it can be a long or fairly short ccommute for the student. Are you looking for a school with some type of specialized curriculum? Then there are pricey elite private schools like Ethical Culture Fieldston School, located in the Bronx, but probably most of the student body does not live in the Bronx.

Edited: I just reread the original post and see the OP has a limited budget and would not be able to afford private school. In that case, this is probably not a good idea. The public middle schools and high schools aren't all that great. Unlike the suburbs, you have to apply to the schools of your choice and there is no guarantee. The specialized high schools require an exam and many kids spend a great deal of time studying and money on tutors to prepare for it way in advance of the test.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 AM

317 posts, read 577,142 times
In the Bronx, the safest areas are Co-Op City, Riverdale, and City Island. Why not try westchester county, it has a few cities like Yonkers, New Rochelle, and Rye

Old 09-30-2012, 02:08 PM

34,164 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movesalot4 View Post
Suburbs have not quite been the environment we had hoped. Need urban area.
What did the suburbs lack for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movesalot4 View Post
Big problem/question - Schools and housing. One son may go to a boarding school in PA, but we would need a three bed apartment. Younger son would need to go to a local or private nearby school. We are not among the category of people for whom private schools are an easy economic decision. However, we are prepared to make significant lifestyle changes to have the privilege of living in NYC. Help and any thoughts on schools and housing. Renting. Not interested in the typical top 20 private schools. It's an '80s terms, but we are not amongst the "masters of the universe." Neither husband nor I even work on wall street. Consider outer boroughs in regards to schools. Thoughts? Throw 'em my way! Thanks.
Well since we don't know what your budget is, all I can advise is that private school is not cheap, and Catholic school would be a cheaper alternative to standard private schools.

If you need a 3 bedroom apartment, once again your budget determines where you will live. At this point, I don't think there are any real neighborhoods in NYC anymore where you can get "a steal" or "more bang for your buck" without some compromise.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-30-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 02:16 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,879,526 times
There are private independent schools in NYC that charge less than $20K tuition and provide good academic instruction. Some research needed to find out who they are. They are not found in Manhattan though.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,547,188 times
To those who question why I would move to the suburbs?

I don't think paying 40k for kindagarten so my kid can learn the alphabet, nap and draw is worth it.

I grew up in Brooklyn, and went to ****ty public schools there until the 5th grade. My parents moved us to the suburbs (Long Island). Although I hated it, and still hate Nassau County to this day, the public education system there is excellent.

Again, I am talking purely public schools. OP doesn't seem like she can afford private school.

I personally hate the suburbs, but I'm willing to give up all the amenities of city living so I can drink beer on my patio, mow my lawn and ignore my neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City