Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

OP can easily afford private schools in the NYC boroughs with a $5K/month budget. There are schools that charge less than $20K and nearby 3BR rentals will take up less than the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
OP can easily afford private schools in the NYC boroughs with a $5K/month budget. There are schools that charge less than $20K and nearby 3BR rentals will take up less than the difference.
Maybe because I have always been in public schools my entire life either in Brooklyn or L.I., but even paying 20k per kid per year for lower education seems outrageous to me.

That costs more than my medical school tuition in the late 90's.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There are private schools in the suburbs that accept and provide transportation to children living within the NYC limits. Depending where you live, it can be a long or fairly short ccommute for the student. Are you looking for a school with some type of specialized curriculum? Then there are pricey elite private schools like Ethical Culture Fieldston School, located in the Bronx, but probably most of the student body does not live in the Bronx.

Edited: I just reread the original post and see the OP has a limited budget and would not be able to afford private school. In that case, this is probably not a good idea. The public middle schools and high schools aren't all that great. Unlike the suburbs, you have to apply to the schools of your choice and there is no guarantee. The specialized high schools require an exam and many kids spend a great deal of time studying and money on tutors to prepare for it way in advance of the test.
Don't worry - with recent lawsuits they'll end up scrapping that and will let you in based on more subjective parameters such as a hard luck story and a good recommendation from your teacher.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM

11 posts, read 13,591 times
Hi everybody, I appreciate all (well, to be honest, not all) your thoughts. I wanted some general and specific thoughts from people who live or have lived in Manhattan since, perhaps 2011, onward with teens.. I will assume I didn't make that clear. Like so many "conversations" sometimes we get off course, and I must have miscommunicated more than a bit. This is a public board, but I tend to stay away from answering questions about which I don't have opinions based on fact. I didn't expect so many people's opinions based on their own personal assumptions of me.

I think many, if not all, will be happy I will not post questions on these forums anymore. I don't seem to understand the ethos. However, I do understand one thing - and I tell my 15 year old son this all the time as still developing teens need to hear this - never say anything anonymously that you would not say to someone's face. The lack of eye to eye contact makes people more aggressive and makes them feel like they can ignore social norms. When we see shock or hurt in someone's eyes, we edit what we say. It's not a bad system. I can honestly say I would not directly say face to face anything I have said or will say in this post. Even when I told someone he didn't need to know my income. One can be clear, but respectful and polite. I knew my income is relevant, but it is truly not relevant to others re: the specific question I asked. Not everyone likes everything that is said to them. I try to be clear and respectful. I have taken away some lessons, been humbled some, and I would very much like to return the favor. Not necessarily the high road, but I won't be mean. I will state my opinions to some responses - as I would if we were face to face.

I really appreciate the people who threw out the names of schools, and your efforts to save me money. Forest Hills Daddy responded like he really wanted to help. I appreciated that. Others that didn't assume anything about my life, I also appreciate that and have been grateful for your words of support. I love the one's who said "go for it," if only for the fact that these people didn't think I am packing today and dragging my kids to a horrid, poverty stricken life. They seemed to get I am probably intelligent enough to make a decent decision.

Since personal info seems so important to these boards, I will tell you I can afford two private schools (at the top price range) and up to $5000/a month on an apartment. The sacrifices I might make to afford this, might be interesting to some, but not at all anybody's business. But lots of you do seem curious, and quite knowledge about me. Of course, I will sell both my cars! Of course, I will expect to live in a smaller (much smaller) place, of course I will expect a teeny kitchen. This strikes me as common sense. I am amazed at how many stated that I cannot afford two private schools and living in Manhattan. How on earth would you know this? And I didn't ask if anyone thought I could afford. I asked for opinions of the subject. It is a big deal to change a lifestyle and to do it by losing some conveniences, that is my issue. And while both types of incomes are genuinely above above average, there is a huge difference in the way one can live in NYC on, say $500,000/yr vs. $2 millions per year. One bathroom vs 2 or 3, 2 bedrooms with a "study" vs a full three bedroom, a small oven vs a full size oven, a kitchen that only one person fits in vs. a kitchen that three people can stand in. I am thinking about all these things, and I guess I don't appreciate the sense I am getting that a few think I don't understand this. Again, I've lived in a lot of places.

This might be harsh, but I never asked for pros and cons of the suburbs. At least I don't think I did. I've moved a lot in the last 20 years due to jobs. I am in my late 40s. I have teenagers. I live in the suburbs! I have considered more in the last 15 years than many who responded probably have ever had to consider. I didn't look at bios, but I assumed I would receive answers from parents of teens.

Finally, birdinmigration and AptNYC, you said a lot of mean things based on incorrect assumptions. My neighbors are nice people. I can still see them if I move to NYC. My 15 yr. old son became smitten with a 15 yr old girl he met at sleepaway summer camp. It is wise not to diminish things that are important to teenagers. They text, they FB, they skype, and they consider themselves girlfriend and boyfriend. How do you handle your teenager's social life? I love that they are far apart. They sure don't need any chaperoning! "What are you trying to do, arrange a marriage, because otherwise, that's just weird." Now, that in my opinion is judgemental and mean. Not nice at all.

I'm off to take care of my day, which includes finalizing estates of both my parents who passed away in the last 18 mos., to make appts at dozens of boarding schools that might fit my son's needs, and make a couple of Drs. appts re: family health issues. Somewhat serious one's...So before anybody judges, keep in mind, what specifically is the topic of conversation on the board and NEVER assume you know ANYTHING about anybody's personal circumstances.

And a piece of unsolicited advice to all those who will migrate to the suburbs when your kids his school age. I totally get why. It IS a dilemma. Again, my kids are at or nearing the end of school, I am not talking about toddlers or elementary schools: Be careful not to take reputation and test scores too seriously. Schools cannot always do what they are supposed to.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movesalot4 View Post
Since personal info seems so important to these boards, I will tell you I can afford two private schools (at the top price range) and up to $5000/a month on an apartment. The sacrifices I might make to afford this, might be interesting to some, but not at all anybody's business. But lots of you do seem curious, and quite knowledge about me. Of course, I will sell both my cars! Of course, I will expect to live in a smaller (much smaller) place, of course I will expect a teeny kitchen. This strikes me as common sense. I am amazed at how many stated that I cannot afford two private schools and living in Manhattan. How on earth would you know this? And I didn't ask if anyone thought I could afford. I asked for opinions of the subject. It is a big deal to change a lifestyle and to do it by losing some conveniences, that is my issue.
If your budget is $5K/month for apartment only, I think you can do with Manhattan. However, you don't have to spend that much. You will get a lot more space living in Jackson Heights (historic district) or Bay Ridge and matriculating your son in the nearby private schools that charge half of what the Manhattan schools do - and thereby letting you keep a lot more of your money in your bank account. You also get to keep many of the conveniences of living in Manhattan such as nearby shops, public transpo, parks etc.

If you don't like JH or BR, look at Forest Hills where there is the Kew Forest School which is a little cheaper than Manhattan private schools.

Quote:
Finally, birdinmigration and AptNYC, you said a lot of mean things based on incorrect assumptions. My neighbors are nice people. I can still see them if I move to NYC. My 15 yr. old son became smitten with a 15 yr old girl he met at sleepaway summer camp. It is wise not to diminish things that are important to teenagers. They text, they FB, they skype, and they consider themselves girlfriend and boyfriend. How do you handle your teenager's social life? I love that they are far apart. They sure don't need any chaperoning! "What are you trying to do, arrange a marriage, because otherwise, that's just weird." Now, that in my opinion is judgemental and mean. Not nice at all.
You don't have to explain this and seriously there is nothing wrong with arranging or facilitating a relationship as long as both parties consent and if their genes, personalities and talents make a good match.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Whoah there. Nobody actually cares about your income or personal situation, okay? They are only asking to be able to take a clear set of data and apply it to a circumstance.

I surmise that your twitchy defensiveness has made you everyone's least favorite neighbor in Suburbia Heights, and now you think moving to the city will allow you to be happily pissed off all day long?

Your post count says that you are new to this board, so please consider that each person that posted on your thread took time out of their busy day to respond to you, and they don't have to, you know? I suggest you be nice, thank people, and don't be a jerk, because this board is full of witty people who have ways of handling jerkitude that are funny but may not be to your liking.

Another suggestion is do a search of the archives. Your questions have been asked and answered 10,000 times here. You will find a lot of information.

Best Wishes,
bird
p.s. Here's you -- "My oldest son's girlfriend lives 6 hours away. They make it work (with the help of us, the parents)." The kid is FIFTEEN! What are you trying to do, arrange a marriage? Because otherwise that's just weird.
All that ↑ ↑ ↑ (REPS!)

Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
Hi everybody, I appreciate all (well, to be honest, not all) your thoughts. I wanted some general and specific thoughts from people who live or have lived in Manhattan since, perhaps 2011, onward with teens.. I will assume I didn't make that clear. Like so many "conversations" sometimes we get off course, and I must have miscommunicated more than a bit. This is a public board, but I tend to stay away from answering questions about which I don't have opinions based on fact. I didn't expect so many people's opinions based on their own personal assumptions of me.

I think many, if not all, will be happy I will not post questions on these forums anymore. I don't seem to understand the ethos. However, I do understand one thing - and I tell my 15 year old son this all the time as still developing teens need to hear this - never say anything anonymously that you would not say to someone's face. The lack of eye to eye contact makes people more aggressive and makes them feel like they can ignore social norms. When we see shock or hurt in someone's eyes, we edit what we say. It's not a bad system. I can honestly say I would not directly say face to face anything I have said or will say in this post. Even when I told someone he didn't need to know my income. One can be clear, but respectful and polite. I knew my income is relevant, but it is truly not relevant to others re: the specific question I asked. Not everyone likes everything that is said to them. I try to be clear and respectful. I have taken away some lessons, been humbled some, and I would very much like to return the favor. Not necessarily the high road, but I won't be mean. I will state my opinions to some responses - as I would if we were face to face.

I really appreciate the people who threw out the names of schools, and your efforts to save me money. Forest Hills Daddy responded like he really wanted to help. I appreciated that. Others that didn't assume anything about my life, I also appreciate that and have been grateful for your words of support. I love the one's who said "go for it," if only for the fact that these people didn't think I am packing today and dragging my kids to a horrid, poverty stricken life. They seemed to get I am probably intelligent enough to make a decent decision.

Since personal info seems so important to these boards, I will tell you I can afford two private schools (at the top price range) and up to $5000/a month on an apartment. The sacrifices I might make to afford this, might be interesting to some, but not at all anybody's business. But lots of you do seem curious, and quite knowledge about me. Of course, I will sell both my cars! Of course, I will expect to live in a smaller (much smaller) place, of course I will expect a teeny kitchen. This strikes me as common sense. I am amazed at how many stated that I cannot afford two private schools and living in Manhattan. How on earth would you know this? And I didn't ask if anyone thought I could afford. I asked for opinions of the subject. It is a big deal to change a lifestyle and to do it by losing some conveniences, that is my issue. And while both types of incomes are genuinely above above average, there is a huge difference in the way one can live in NYC on, say $500,000/yr vs. $2 millions per year. One bathroom vs 2 or 3, 2 bedrooms with a "study" vs a full three bedroom, a small oven vs a full size oven, a kitchen that only one person fits in vs. a kitchen that three people can stand in. I am thinking about all these things, and I guess I don't appreciate the sense I am getting that a few think I don't understand this. Again, I've lived in a lot of places.

This might be harsh, but I never asked for pros and cons of the suburbs. At least I don't think I did. I've moved a lot in the last 20 years due to jobs. I am in my late 40s. I have teenagers. I live in the suburbs! I have considered more in the last 15 years than many who responded probably have ever had to consider. I didn't look at bios, but I assumed I would receive answers from parents of teens.

I'm off to take care of my day, which includes finalizing estates of both my parents who passed away in the last 18 mos., to make appts at dozens of boarding schools that might fit my son's needs, and make a couple of Drs. appts re: family health issues. Somewhat serious one's...So before anybody judges, keep in mind, what specifically is the topic of conversation on the board and NEVER assume you know ANYTHING about anybody's personal circumstances.

And a piece of unsolicited advice to all those who will migrate to the suburbs when your kids his school age. I totally get why. It IS a dilemma. Again, my kids are at or nearing the end of school, I am not talking about toddlers or elementary schools: Be careful not to take reputation and test scores too seriously. Schools cannot always do what they are supposed to.
Welcome to CD-NYC ~ get a grip ~

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,539 times

Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
If OP gets easily upset by anonymous posts on the internet, then good luck living in NYC. You need a thick skin here.
Then again, there are enough polite transplants here so she might be ok.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM

393 posts, read 783,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
If OP gets easily upset by anonymous posts on the internet, then good luck living in NYC. You need a thick skin here.
Then again, there are enough polite transplants here so she might be ok.
Yeah, if you get upset this easily you are going to get eaten alive in NY. I didn't even say anything mean to you, so I have no idea what you are talking about. I just said you are too defensive, and you can't expect people to give you advice about living in Manhattan without giving your income because raising kids in Manhattan comes at a big premium. How the hell is your question not relevant to income anyway? Any question about quality of life in Manhattan with children IS about income.

Clearly, your question was pointless because you only want to hear what you want to hear, which is that you can live the glamorous Manhattan lifestyle you want and your kids will transition beautifully and blah blah. Any response that wasn't what you wanted to hear was met with an extreme backlash.

No one is judging you..calm down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City