Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM

393 posts, read 783,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
The way you are speaking, it's Manhattan or bust. If that's the case, you will need a LOT of money. Rents are really high and private school is even higher. Unless you are making about 350k-500k you won't be able to afford a nice 3 bedroom and private school for 2 teens.

If you ARE actually okay with the outer boroughs, you are trending more towards affordable. But we need your income, whether you will have a car, how much you pay in debt (credit cards, loans, any other expenses). Make to exclude any and all bonuses.
Yeah, all this pretty much. It sounds like you are looking for an exciting sterotypical Manhattan lifestyle, and that costs a lot. Add in the kids, and the costs are astronomcal. Depending on your income, outer boroughs might be your best option, but you might not be happy there either if you wanted Manhattan. I don't know much about schools, but I think the nicer/more affordable NYC areas with decent schools are not that urban and far away from Manhattan. I feel like people say schools in Brooklyn are decent but the areas they are in are just as expensive as Manhattan. I would consider it carefully. I just sounds like a stressful situation if you don't have a lot of money. Plus, I can't imagine a 13 and 14 year old easily adjusting to a whole new environment/lifestyle. Maybe it'd be better to wait until they go off to college since that's only in a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 AM

11 posts, read 13,593 times
Wow, all of your replies are very direct. To address the general question of income: Even though this is an anonymous board, that feels far too personal to answer. If you noted that one son will likely go to boarding school, and we are still thinking about a three bed apartment, and at our age (parents of teens), we are aware income is critical, you can surmise that we understand a family of four without a six figure income wouldn't even consider this proposition. However, we do not make Wall Street money, and do not receive bonuses. There is a huge difference between the Dumbo fellow above who makes $300,000 - which is a reasonable salary to live in Manhattan with sacrifices, and someone who makes over $1 million. Also, sacrifices we would be willing to make are variable. No way to know what we will feel is worth giving up. School(s) and apartment are key before we make those decisions.

Barkomatic, we currently live in a highly desirable, high income, top notch school suburb. Not happy with the conformity. One person's dream is another person's nightmare.

Latina7, I understand your thoughts, but sometimes the great public schools in the great family oriented suburbs are the worst place for some kids who are not "average." Just because these highly rated suburban schools legally have to accommodate your child's out of the ordinary needs, doesn't mean they do it. We have learned that the very hard way. My kids have already told us that they would be thrilled to move schools, even if that means a house move. Teens today don't feel the borders we did. With texting, Facebook, and playing electronic video games together but from different locations, teens have a different perspective. We are not from our current location. Our family and closest friends are scattered. My oldest son's girlfriend lives 6 hours away. They make it work (with the help of us, the parents). Re: NYC, as I said, one is likely to go to boarding school and the other child loves the city. We go there every chance we are able to.

Skilldeadly, you all don't need all that information. Banks, Leasing agents, etc. do, but you all do not. I am middle aged and have moved a lot. Those are things I need to consider, you don't.

Yes, we do prefer to be near our younger son's school. He is academically above average, but not "gifted." We can afford up to $5000/month and no more (but that would have to include maintenance fees- about which I don't really know anything). We don't need an upscale apartment, but we do need a safe, clean, "refreshed" space. Dare I dream for a doorman?

I guess I was asking more for neighborhood opinions from those who have been there and done that and have learned a thing or two from their own experiences - which neighborhoods are good for people who want all the culture and education available from NYC, but are not interested in the social diary/social scene. And if people can tell me about some of those neighborhoods, can you also offer opinions on schools? We prefer smaller high schools, definitely less than 750 kids. And I would be interested in an "urban" suburb.

Pls just throw out your opinions. I'll consider my details as they are appropriate. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you all again and new people too.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,876,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movesalot4 View Post
Yes, we do prefer to be near our younger son's school. He is academically above average, but not "gifted." We can afford up to $5000/month and no more (but that would have to include maintenance fees- about which I don't really know anything). We don't need an upscale apartment, but we do need a safe, clean, "refreshed" space. Dare I dream for a doorman?
Do school tours at Adelphi Academy, Bay Ridge Prep and Garden School (they are al reasonably sized), then check the surrounding neighborhoods of Bay Ridge and Jackson Heights. You'll likely find something that fits both your needs (3-BR, spacious, near school, mass transpo to city) and your budget. Start with the school first and choose your neighborhood around it.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,637,025 times
Some people's first inclination in response to a person moving to NYC is to say YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT!!! If your kids are excited about the move - go for it. I'm sure you'll have lots of options with your budget. I unfortunately cannot advice regarding private schools but wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,145,216 times
I'm not forcing you to answer anything you don't want to answer. What I am saying is that to get a realistic approach to how much you can afford, it's best to work of the raw numbers of what you will make. That says nothing about how much you owe, how much you have (car, boat, motorcycles).

You asked for advice regarding can you do it money wise without providing specifics. Don't be surprised when you don't get very detailed advice. You want the best schools? Look them up and research them. But what's the point in moving from the burbs to move back to the burbs but pay FAR more for the ability to do so. Bayside is really great for schools. It's suburban but a cityish feel. There isn't subway service, only bus and LIRR. Or try Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. Even Briarwood has a nice high school there.

For 5000 in a outer borough you should be able to get pretty much whatever you want. In Forest Hills, a 3 bedroom house goes for 2500 with everything. I would search in Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Briarwood, and maybe Kew Garden Hills.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,880,245 times
Does the op want an Urbanized Suburb which is where most of the region lives in or a City where only 14 million people in this region live in. Sounds like shes living in the Auto Centric Exurbs...

Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 13,593 times
Nexis4Jersey- when you're right, you're right. Although the term "exurb" is new to me. Clearly I MUST get out of this place.

The suburbs/exurbs have advantages, but I prefer a place where walking and/or public transit is more the norm. I know NYC presents many complications. We've lived in Boston - EASY, and London, not as easy, but I want our family out of the public schools. Rigorous curriculum or not...politics are detrimental to my students! My grandmother lived in Queens and I do have a (albeit unfair and biased) negative feeling toward that borough. Manhattan, Brooklyn, and yes, the more gentrified area of the Bronx (never do we meet ourselves more than when we realize what we want for our children), and most definitely Manhattan. I never mentioned, that I am preparing to go back to school to get an advanced degree.

Forest Hill, Yodel and Nexis4Jersey - thanks for the suggestions and encouragement!

Thank you, everybody. May I hear from more families who live in NYC? You all are my best resource. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,160,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movesalot4 View Post
Wow, all of your replies are very direct. To address the general question of income: Even though this is an anonymous board, that feels far too personal to answer. If you noted that one son will likely go to boarding school, and we are still thinking about a three bed apartment, and at our age (parents of teens), we are aware income is critical, you can surmise that we understand a family of four without a six figure income wouldn't even consider this proposition. However, we do not make Wall Street money, and do not receive bonuses. There is a huge difference between the Dumbo fellow above who makes $300,000 - which is a reasonable salary to live in Manhattan with sacrifices, and someone who makes over $1 million. Also, sacrifices we would be willing to make are variable. No way to know what we will feel is worth giving up. School(s) and apartment are key before we make those decisions.

Barkomatic, we currently live in a highly desirable, high income, top notch school suburb. Not happy with the conformity. One person's dream is another person's nightmare.

Latina7, I understand your thoughts, but sometimes the great public schools in the great family oriented suburbs are the worst place for some kids who are not "average." Just because these highly rated suburban schools legally have to accommodate your child's out of the ordinary needs, doesn't mean they do it. We have learned that the very hard way. My kids have already told us that they would be thrilled to move schools, even if that means a house move. Teens today don't feel the borders we did. With texting, Facebook, and playing electronic video games together but from different locations, teens have a different perspective. We are not from our current location. Our family and closest friends are scattered. My oldest son's girlfriend lives 6 hours away. They make it work (with the help of us, the parents). Re: NYC, as I said, one is likely to go to boarding school and the other child loves the city. We go there every chance we are able to.

Skilldeadly, you all don't need all that information. Banks, Leasing agents, etc. do, but you all do not. I am middle aged and have moved a lot. Those are things I need to consider, you don't.

I guess I was asking more for neighborhood opinions from those who have been there and done that and have learned a thing or two from their own experiences - which neighborhoods are good for people who want all the culture and education available from NYC, but are not interested in the social diary/social scene. And if people can tell me about some of those neighborhoods, can you also offer opinions on schools? We prefer smaller high schools, definitely less than 750 kids. And I would be interested in an "urban" suburb.

Pls just throw out your opinions. I'll consider my details as they are appropriate. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you all again and new people too.
Whoah there. Nobody actually cares about your income or personal situation, okay? They are only asking to be able to take a clear set of data and apply it to a circumstance.

I surmise that your twitchy defensiveness has made you everyone's least favorite neighbor in Suburbia Heights, and now you think moving to the city will allow you to be happily pissed off all day long?

Your post count says that you are new to this board, so please consider that each person that posted on your thread took time out of their busy day to respond to you, and they don't have to, you know? I suggest you be nice, thank people, and don't be a jerk, because this board is full of witty people who have ways of handling jerkitude that are funny but may not be to your liking.

Another suggestion is do a search of the archives. Your questions have been asked and answered 10,000 times here. You will find a lot of information.

Best Wishes,
bird
p.s. Here's you -- "My oldest son's girlfriend lives 6 hours away. They make it work (with the help of us, the parents)." The kid is FIFTEEN! What are you trying to do, arrange a marriage? Because otherwise that's just weird.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 AM

393 posts, read 783,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Whoah there. Nobody actually cares about your income or personal situation, okay? They are only asking to be able to take a clear set of data and apply it to a circumstance.

I surmise that your twitchy defensiveness has made you everyone's least favorite neighbor in Suburbia Heights, and now you think moving to the city will allow you to be happily pissed off all day long?

Your post count says that you are new to this board, so please consider that each person that posted on your thread took time out of their busy day to respond to you, and they don't have to, you know? I suggest you be nice, thank people, and don't be a jerk, because this board is full of witty people who have ways of handling jerkitude that are funny but may not be to your liking.

Another suggestion is do a search of the archives. Your questions have been asked and answered 10,000 times here. You will find a lot of information.

Best Wishes,
bird
p.s. Here's you -- "My oldest son's girlfriend lives 6 hours away. They make it work (with the help of us, the parents)." The kid is FIFTEEN! What are you trying to do, arrange a marriage? Because otherwise that's just weird.
Seriously, this lady is way too defensive. If you are going to ask for neighborhood and school recommendations, you need to give your budget. How does that feel too private? No one is going to steal your identity if you tell them how much you can afford to spend on schooling/renting.

It sounds like you are picturing a really different lifestyle from what you can actually afford with 2 kids. I can't see any rougher transition for a teenager from a rich suburb than being put into the NYC public school system in high school, and private schools are way too expensive. You clearly want a stereotypical Manhattan lifestyle, and it's going to be a rought adjustment.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,545,850 times
Its probably better to wait until the kids are in college.

Then you and your hubby can get a nice 1-2 bd apt in manhattan and live your ideal urban life style.

Trust me, when you have kids, the "urban" things don't really matter as much anymore.

My wife and I had a blast being a young married couple in the city. But when the kid popped out, its time to stop being selfish and think about whats best for the kids.

Right now, its still great living in the city with an infant. Although I dread the thought of living in the suburbs, I likely will move their in the best interest of the kid when he's older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City