Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Why does this continue to happen? Is NYPD out of control?

I can see if its 1 or 2 isolated incidents but there is too many incidents from abuse, wrongful death, shooting bystanders, misconduct, etc...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
This is probably the only thing we agree on. We should know that although the NYPD has gotten better (more accountable that is) over the past few decades, the current leadership has taken us down the wrong path, and stripping away our fundamental rights under the illusion of "safety." Ray Kelly is as toxic as they come, he likes to blame residents (the real victims) for crime in their communities, and allows the NYPD to flagrantly violate the rights of NYers, in particular people of color but now we are seeing it more across mainstream and upperclass residents too.

RAY KELLY HAS TO GO.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,352 times
Geez...just yesterday I was reading on here about how they blew away some kid from the army in his car for no reason. I'd expect this kind of stuff from the LAPD, they really need to be that tough...but the NYPD? I always thought they had a better rapport with the community and incidents like this were more isolated.

They're really only screwing themselves, and the rest of us, because the more they do stuff like this, the more the liberals can take away powers that they need to get their job done, until they achieve their dream of bringing back 80's style crime stats.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
The list is big & it happens more than it should.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 AM

235 posts, read 373,985 times
This wasn't much on the news. I am sorry but it is hard not to bring the race issue here. If this was a Black victim this whole thing would have blown up on the Media and gotten a lot of attention and noise from those like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton of the NYPD abuse. Since the Victim is White it is usually forgotten. Happens a lot in America unfortunately. Before anyone thinks I am 'White', I am Mix/Latino by the way, but I see the double standards of the Media.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
This wasn't much on the news. I am sorry but it is hard not to bring the race issue here. If this was a Black victim this whole thing would have blown up on the Media and gotten a lot of attention and noise from those like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton of the NYPD abuse. Since the Victim is White it is usually forgotten. Happens a lot in America unfortunately. Before anyone thinks I am 'White', I am Mix/Latino by the way, but I see the double standards of the Media.
The media hypes it when it's black people that are the victims because they know it will get the black people going crazy and it will get everybody else going crazy trying to say it's not a race issue...either way it's more coverage for them because it's a hot button issue for people who feel strongly about it on both sides, so either way the media wins.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Let's keep this thread on track. The NYPD is out of control, and it's all thanks to RAY KELLY.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 AM

18 posts, read 40,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Let's keep this thread on track. The NYPD is out of control, and it's all thanks to RAY KELLY.
Agreed. And it's gone on for years, ever since Kelly was brought in. Nothing new about the NYPD being out of control.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Yes, the police have definitely gone off track here--so much so that many residents that should be cooperating with the cops in helping fight crime and identify wrongdoers in the community are now loath to do so, and that goes beyond the 'hood "don't snitch" thing. Typically this has been true in black and Hispanic communities. But this latest incident is quite unsettling to me because it happened in a Jewish community. Which indicates that police abuse has crossed the color line in a way which hasn't often happened before. (Note I say often. I know that there are people of all ethnicities who have had unpleasent experiences with the NYPD). Behavior that used to be hidden or disbelieved because it happened in the 'hood now happens more widely, and that is a scary thing. They really are out of control. And FWIW, I disagree with posters who say that the media underplayed this. The tape of them beating that guys wa severyhwere I looked.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
While I dont think NYPD officers wake up every morning with the intent on killing people, I do think they need better training in restraint. The problem I see is that in certain incidents they'd rather shoot first and assess the issue at hand afterwards if there's even the slightest chance that the person they're dealing with poses even a minimal threat. The big issue is that when they do fire their weapon, they are shooting to hit vital organs rather than shooting to wound. I also dont agree with the benefit of the doubt that they automatically receive as police officers. All they have to say is that the suspect made a move as if he was going for a weapon or the police officers gun and it automatically exonerates them. How ironic that in the majority of suspects shot and killed that had no weapons, this is usually the police officers excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City