Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Marilyn it sounds like to me you are not a landlord in NYC and never have been one. You are not speaking from experience of knowledge other than "well we don't do it anywhere in the country so it shouldn't be done here."

If you believe the courts are in a rush to evict anyone, think again. By law, NYC must house every man/woman/child who seeks housing, at a rent that is affordable to them, FOR LIFE. You do realize the shelters are over run right? If the city were, as you say, evicting people within a 6 month time frame, the city would be swallowed up by the homeless..they know it..and they have no interest in taking on the responsibility..it is the LLs problem!

Here is an example of the eviction process in NYC:
An Eviction, Followed by a Parade of Homeless Shelters - NYTimes.com

[b]"In 2001, Ms. Jackson took steps to move, and her name was taken off the apartment’s lease (NYCHA). Her plans to secure a new home fell through, she said, and she stayed in the building. After Ms. Jackson’s grandmother died in late 2009, the Housing Authority determined that she did not have a right to remain in the apartment at a subsidized monthly rent of $219. She, her husband of just one year, Jamel Goodridge, and Aquiya were evicted in January, after a three-year court battle. "

This was in NYC Public Housing, her name was not even on the lease, and it still took 3 years to evict! Welcome to NYC...and unless you are a LL that requires paystubs, bank statements, W-2s, tax returns, credit reports, etc...you too will inevitably have this happen to you!
Okay, I get your point. I still find much of that info very, very invasive though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,255,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
This is probably the same for smoking as it is in my story. I had a friend who bought a house after an Indian family lived there for about 10 years. The house was perfect except for one thing... the smell. The whole entire house smelled like Indian food. This might not seem like a bad thing, but if that's not something you want to smell all the time, that's not something you want to smell all the time. They then SANDED all the walls to repaint. not just repaint over... complete down to the drywall basically. shampooed the carpet that was there, had all the other floors cleaned/waxed.... and guess what was still there? The smell of Indian food. It took 3 years before the smell wasn't there anymore although that could possibly be because he got used to it. who knows.

Now I don't know how bad it could get in 1 year, or 2 years of smoking, but imagine if the landlord had to go through all that every time a smoker moved in. It wouldn't exactly be that cost effective anymore.
Let me tell you a thing. You're right if the tenant smokes all over the apartment it's gonna probably be repainted but if you smoke in the bathroom like I've done in 5 apts and never got caught, the smoke stays in stays in the bathroom if you close the door. Almost all bathroom has a ventilation outlet. You just have to clean the bathroom tiles from tar stains (looks like rain drops) twice a year and that's it.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It doesn't take several years anymore to get rid of people as NYC Housing Court seems to be evicting tenants just like every other city within a six month time frame. Old excuses as to why the rent wasn't paid no longer fly here, unless you truly are a SLUMLORD.
I would like to see proof that the city is evicting at a higher rate than before. In fact, when I did a quick Google search, I found the exact opposite.

The graphic on p. 13 of this 2010 study from Housingnyc.com shows "Housing Court Statistics, 1983-2009: Over Time, Non-payment Cases Heard Increase but Proportion of Evictions Decrease"

http://www.housingnyc.com/downloads/...ports/ia10.pdf

Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
This is probably the same for smoking as it is in my story. I had a friend who bought a house after an Indian family lived there for about 10 years. The house was perfect except for one thing... the smell. The whole entire house smelled like Indian food. This might not seem like a bad thing, but if that's not something you want to smell all the time, that's not something you want to smell all the time. They then SANDED all the walls to repaint. not just repaint over... complete down to the drywall basically. shampooed the carpet that was there, had all the other floors cleaned/waxed.... and guess what was still there? The smell of Indian food. It took 3 years before the smell wasn't there anymore although that could possibly be because he got used to it. who knows.

Now I don't know how bad it could get in 1 year, or 2 years of smoking, but imagine if the landlord had to go through all that every time a smoker moved in. It wouldn't exactly be that cost effective anymore.
Curry has a very strong odor. Whether you deem it to be a good smell or a bad smell is up to the individual, but it does have a strong scent.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Lying about your income on an application, not only borders on the fraudulent side but also on the irresponsible one.
You simply cannot afford 2k rent on your HH income, why would you wanna lie to yourself?

Logical arguments aside, didn't your parents teach you that lying is generally not a good thing to do?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Let me tell you a thing. You're right if the tenant smokes all over the apartment it's gonna probably be repainted but if you smoke in the bathroom like I've done in 5 apts and never got caught, the smoke stays in stays in the bathroom if you close the door. Almost all bathroom has a ventilation outlet. You just have to clean the bathroom tiles from tar stains (looks like rain drops) twice a year and that's it.
not everyone wants to go sit in their bathroom to smoke. Especially 30 times a day.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Curry has a very strong odor. Whether you deem it to be a good smell or a bad smell is up to the individual, but it does have a strong scent.
True, but I think many residents of lower income areas are used to different kinds of ethnic or non-ethnic smells. My neighborhood smells of tostones, locrio de pollo, garlic, weed, peppermint which is crack, fried chicken, and butt sweat from young slender PR. Actually I like Indian/Tamil/Bangladeshi foood with lots of curry.

Have a nice day there down on the beach with the seagulls.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM

448 posts, read 685,538 times
I told my LL I didnt have a bank account, and that I didnt file taxes.

Not because I had something to hide, but because I was a victim of fraud before. So I'm overly cautious of what info I show people. I dont care who's asking for it. If I feel you don't need it, you won't get it.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post

Not because I had something to hide, but because I was a victim of fraud before. So I'm overly cautious of what info I show people. I dont care who's asking for it. If I feel you don't need it, you won't get it.
How did he react?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post

Everybody including people with no income need to file their tax returns. Telling a LL that you dont file is a big red flag, as it speaks of how responsible you might be.

Most LL (if not all) will ask for documentation on your financials, refusing to provide it will just narrow your pool of available places to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City