Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That doesn't sound very diverse if the neighborhoods are segregated like you say.
Actually, diverse and integrated aren't necessarily the same thing. A place can be diverse, but has enclaves(ethnic and/or racial).

Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I am refering to neighborhooods like St. Albans, Springfield Gardens, Laurelton, Cambria Heights etc. All are over 90% black and border one another.
She's right about the growing indian population though... It's true that those areas are still majority black but where at one point you would be correct in saying they are all over 90% black, that isn't really the case anymore. It has diversified in recent years and become much more indian/west indian and in some cases hispanic. I'd say that if we were to take the overall population of the neighborhoods you listed and cite the demographics... In 2000 they would've been either at or close to 90% Black over all... Now, in 2012 i'd say it's more around 70-75% Black, 15-20% Asian (mainly from south asia or guyana) and about 5-10% hispanic with a growing mexican/ecuadorian/columbian population...

It's still overwhelmingly black, but not as much as it used to be.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
The 2 train is particularly a heavily "black" line, primarily because the northeast section of the borough is almost entirely black..which includes every station from Allerton to the last stop on the 2 (Wakefield). There are also several stations along the 2 route which have higher concentrations of blacks from Grand Concourse to E180th st.

You should note however, in the Southern and Central Bronx in particular, many of the people you may believe are black, because they "look black", are likely to be Hispanic, either Dominican or Panamanian...and occasionally PR also. If you look at the stats in many Southern Bronx neighborhoods, they are about 75% Hispanic, but I would say a good 20% of that Hispanic population is "black" (in appearance). Of course it is a big no-no to call themselves black, but the reality is, they are (just don't tell them that).

You will probably find the least amount of blacks on the 6 line, which goes through the extreme eastern Bronx, the most residential part of the borough, and the areas most heavily populated with whites (except Riverdale) and PRs.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 PM

278 posts, read 1,520,187 times
Not to affend anyone, but how can you tell the difference? You have hispanics that look dark and you have hispanics that look light. Do you really know if they are white or black? Really? I've seen blue eyed, blond hair hispanics and I've seen curly hair dark skinned hispanics. Funny thing though...they don't really catagorize themselves as "black"or "white".

Knowing this, I would only judge when I hear them speak...and then I assume they are hispanic or from a spanish speaking country..etc.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
You can't tell a difference, which is why Hispanic is not a race, it is an ethnicity...hence why they can be black, white, asian, and anything in between. You can be in a heavily Dominican neighborhood and think it is 50% black, when the reality is it may be only 10% black...Dominicans have a heavy African influence, as do many caribbean countries, Panama as well.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound very diverse if the neighborhoods are segregated like you say.
You're absolutely correct.

I didn't say it was INTEGRATED, but it's not 90% black either like the poster said.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
This is funny considering you said this:

Why don't YOU step out of your comfort zone and explore where the white people live?
Because I never had to go to those neighborhoods. Most of my friends were black and hispanic who lived there, so they all lived close to the train lines I needed.

It's not MY fault that landlords CHOSE to be racist and keep out certain groups. If those whites who've lived in the area for generations have NO BLACK OR HISPANIC NEIGHBORS, then this is how they WANT it to be.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
because blacks live there.

what kinda cockamamy question is that?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
There's a guy on this board who claims Pelham Parkway is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city. And since my knowledge of the BX is limited, it's good to get an outsider's perspective. Now, my question to you would be; Are you sure they are all black (as in AA black) and not Hispanic (Dominican, Rican, Panamenian...etc?) ????? Not easy to tell just by judging on appearences, IMO.
I dint even have to live there to be willing to bet you that before they speak, to the cops and others who dont care, they're ALL [AA] black.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
And if you wanna see Caucasians in areas that are not that, well, you just have to pay attention. Just because someone speaks spanish, that does not make them Hispanic.
Why do they speak Spanish then? Are they working on their language skills for their vacation in Punta Cana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City