Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalChubsta View Post
I also heard that sometimes you aren't able to transfer over credits from these "private colleges" say to like a cuny/suny school. I know MANY people that work full time day or night and have gone to cuny/suny schools and have done great! So thinking that these for profits school caters to those types people is just hook and bait... Ugh don't get me started on Monroe.. It's all about how bad you want it and at the end of the day you can have an excellent career/job even if u went to suny/cuny schools because u define the degree u don't let the degree define you. One Example: Colin Powell !
"Even if you went" is not accurate - the CUNY schools are very good. If you lack grades or background, you can attend one of the community colleges and transfer to a four-year school. This is entirely in the realm of possibility with hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM

195 posts, read 304,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
If you do not get accepted at FIT, you are best off (by far) with a CUNY school, including one of the community colleges where you can prove yourself and transfer with a better GPA.

Be sure to know the general education requirements for FIT and you can do those at the "B-plan" school. You should also talk to FIT admissions counselors and find out what would help for admittance. You should not give up if that is your dream program.

Does anyone know if FIT is open admissions for residents ? Cannot recall.
i have several friends from nyc, one of which just matriculated from FIT. he assured me i would get in being a veteran (due to the fact that they get more federal money for veterans) and my ambition. he even went on to tell me it's not as hard as people make it seem, citing a friend of his who just up and decided to go to FIT because "everyone was going there and he had nothing better to do with his time", mind you this friend of his apparently wasn't the brighter bulb. either way, i called the admissions office last week to inquire about gap's for their fashion merchandising program and she assured me most accepted had well above a 3.2 (i had a 2.41 unweighted and a 2.77 weighted, but that was 6 years ago...and it'll be 7 when i apply). well, my second option is going to baruch or finding a suitable cuny school. i was heavily considering city college because i want to move to harlem and it wouldn't be long commute. oh, i don't think i'll be able to apply as a state resident my first year as i'll be coming from florida...unless i changed my information to a relative's address (which would be a bit awkward because we aren't all that close), but if FIT had open admissions for state residents i'd definitely go that route! fit is my dream school, that's ultimately why i joined the military (for the GI bill to pay my tuition and still give me a stipend of about 3k to live off while studying, so to know that my high school gpa from almost a decade ago would keep me out would be heartbreaking).

Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 PM

You should work on having a top-notch essay or statement, and obtain the best recommendations that you can. I would also encourage you to visit people in person, including those people who work in your desired major area.

The fact that your academic record is old will actually help you. All make mistakes in youth. And your grade-point is not that bad. Most admissions committees are interested in candidates who demonstrate that they can do the work, so focus and ambition are indeed important factors.

Becoming a resident will help A LOT. Try to accomplish that status as soon as you can.

I know many people who teach at FIT and several are simply amazing, accomplished artists and educators.

Getting back to the CUNY thing, you can do your general education requirements there, prove yourself, and then transfer to FIT.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
You should work on having a top-notch essay or statement, and obtain the best recommendations that you can. I would also encourage you to visit people in person, including those people who work in your desired major area.

The fact that your academic record is old will actually help you. All make mistakes in youth. And your grade-point is not that bad. Most admissions committees are interested in candidates who demonstrate that they can do the work, so focus and ambition are indeed important factors.

Becoming a resident will help A LOT. Try to accomplish that status as soon as you can.

I know many people who teach at FIT and several are simply amazing, accomplished artists and educators.

Getting back to the CUNY thing, you can do your general education requirements there, prove yourself, and then transfer to FIT.
i've been working on my essay since 2010! i've let a few friends read it (despite my hesitations as it's rather personal...odd that i don't mind a complete stranger reading it though), and they all tell me it's well written. unfortunately FIT doesn't consider recommendations, if it did that would give me a leg up, as i could get some from my old district manager at a retailer i worked at before i joined, amongst others. despite the admissions officer discouraging me, i'm going to still apply. and next summer i'm going to visit their open house and hopefully have an opportunity to meet with an admissions officer...the nyc visit will kinda be a twofold purpose: see FIT and "plan b" schools and visit areas to get an idea of neighborhoods i'd like to move to when i relocate.

it's interesting you say that about the academic record being old, because i know some schools don't even consider high school transcripts after a certain number of years. although my gpa wasn't the best, i did take all honors an ap classes, i was even in the top 10% of my class (but personal problems led to the sinking grades), not to mention i had a plethora of extracurricular activities.

i'll start talking to my family and friends in the area about my plans to move there and see what they say to changing my tax information from georgia to new york...i kinda have a feeling i'm going to be paying an arm and a leg in state taxes from now on lol, but hey it'll be worth it!

oh wow, that's interesting! by any chance do any of them work in the fashion merchandising management program? i've been ordering books on the subjects of retail buying, merchandising mathematics, the psychology of buying and marketing, the luxury market and i'd love to get some advice on reading material and other things i can do beforehand to prepare myself for classes and a career in the industry.

yeah, i was thinking that might be the best avenue...of course given i do not get accepted to FIT and being in the CUNY network would probably make the transfer easier.

thanks for the help! (i had to give you some rep for that one)

Old 07-01-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlefevere View Post
hi,
does anyone know if berkeley college in manhattan is a good school?
apologies for jacking your thread. from reading the responses it seems berkely isn't the best choice out there, so would you mind sharing what you plan to go to school for? that way maybe others can throw out some suggestions...

Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post

oh wow, that's interesting! by any chance do any of them work in the fashion merchandising management program?
No - painting, photography, art history, and similar.
But I am sure there are very good people in your area as well.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It is NOT a good school, just a sham operation to suck student loan money from the government.

well said and I am a victim of this school. I was young and nieve back in 82 I was in the Fash. Merch. program. I went to there school that had a dorm in White Plaines no longer there. and then NYC both locations were a joke. The teachers were industry but all they did was read a text book to us. that is not teaching I can buy the books an read them in bed.

When you apply for a job or met a guy in my case and tellthem you went to this school they laugh at you. And say too bad you did not investyour time and $ it in the REAL Berkeley in CA.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:00 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Berkeley is a really really REALLY bad school, no different than any of these new for profit-schools. I worked on a property adajcent to their location on 41st St and it is SUPER ghetto, like straight outta East NY ghetto. I would never, ever hire someone from Berkeley "College" , the students are an embarassment, as is the school. Their sole purpose is to make as much money as possible off the students and government, education is a distant 3rd or 4th priority on the list and it shows.

Please do NOT go to this school...you will get into huge debt and have a useless degree...go to the CUNY or SUNY instead.

YUP after 30 yrs the gov caught up with me an I owe.......drum roll please. .....16K going to work for ameri corps so I can get a break. The peace corps also has a program too to help you pay off this loan.

the fashion industry does not recognise this school its like a fake gucci bag degree.

FIT and Parsons for fashion you don'teven know yet if they will take you . lets hope they will. if not go to a community college an reapply at least this way your still taking courses you can transfer and working on your GPA.

also stay away from the art institutes of ............. said cities......... i went to art inst. of philly in 82 b4 berkely for fashion for one semester also a rip off. sadly i had no one to guideme back then and there was no internet or C. data

Old 07-01-2012, 05:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
I did a lot of research into schools before I decided to go back last year.

Berkeley and some of the other for profit schools like DeVry had really bad reputations and reviews. The general consensus was that employers will not take degrees from these schools seriously, as they pretty much pass anyone.

I kept getting calls from them after asking for information, and it wasn't until I told them I saw really bad reviews of the school and had no intentions of attending, did they finally stop calling me.

You're better off with a SUNY or CUNY like others said. I may have to switch to Empire State College myself since the school I was attending has raised tuition through the roof.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
No - painting, photography, art history, and similar.
But I am sure there are very good people in your area as well.
i sure there are! thank you for the help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City