Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
But look though NYC had a high murder rate as well before Dinkins was mayor, its just that during Dinkins tenure the murder rate was peaked and dropped off during the end of his tenure. Beame/Koch/Dinkins era of NYC was by far the worst when it comes to crime. For me when the murder rate is above 1000 victims, something is indeed wrong regardless of mayor or commissioner .
Yes BXguy, you raise some very valid points. The murder rate according to your chart really started to spike around 87? Dinkins came into office in 88. I just found his four years to be a very dangerous time in the City. 1990 is used as a watermark or benchmark for lawlessness in the Big Apple. Back on point to the OP I once again give credit to Bratton and especially Maple for instituting compstat which has changed the face of policing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, you know everything about the NYC underclass and where the filth is dumped. Congratulations for knowing so much more about this than me, a subject I might add I do not care to be an expert in. I wonder if your knowledge isn't from personal experience.

Come on, admit it, no knows that much about this stuff or gets that picky about info on it unless he has very personal experience with it.
Indeed, stridency in the context of stupidity is something I find truly annoying.

It is my sense that your consistent ignorance is not from the petty snobbism you present as some sort of accomplishment, but derives from the fact that you live nowhere near New York and spout "facts" gleaned off the internet. As others have point out. You never get things quite right for that reason. As many, again, have pointed out.

Once again, I momentarily failed to take the advice of other posters ...

Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 AM

486 posts, read 561,215 times
Although I still find the murder rate to be way too high, (some 4 or 5 times that of cities in the UK) it is impressive how it has reduced over the years.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Indeed, stridency in the context of stupidity is something I find truly annoying.

It is my sense that your consistent ignorance is not from the petty snobbism you present as some sort of accomplishment, but derives from the fact that you live nowhere near New York and spout "facts" gleaned off the internet. As others have point out. You never get things quite right for that reason. As many, again, have pointed out.

Once again, I momentarily failed to take the advice of other posters ...
Your not the only one. Me, sobroguy,wawaweewa, norwood, airborne, missj74, anon and jcoltrane said likewise about this guy. He fails to amount any thing on some threads. Sometime I feel he is the same poster as Nykiddo.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Your not the only one. Me, sobroguy,wawaweewa, norwood, airborne, missj74, anon and jcoltrane said likewise about this guy. He fails to amount any thing on some threads. Sometime I feel he is the same poster as Nykiddo.
And yet ! I ignore everyone and the sound advice.
Not again.
But I do feel strongly about correcting misinformation, and/or asserting a different opinion - people do read these threads, and one of the most positive potentials here is the dissemination of information, whcih could create change somewhere.
I am not sure it's nykiddo but the person, Marilyn something ? Someone said that.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
What has caused the decline in violent crime everywhere in America is simply the maturing of the Baby Boomers away from violent crime and the transformation to non-violent crime such as identity theft. Only rather stupid criminals still use violence.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 PM

38 posts, read 63,058 times
Cops don't stop crime, they entice.

Anyone who believes any statistic or number thrown at their face is as naive as it gets.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
FYI...I find it interesting and telling that Norwood Boy gives lots of credit to all sorts of city departments, agencies, and elected officials for "bringing down crime", yet gives NO CREDIT to the very NYers, community activists, and every day people who actually said ENOUGH, banded together and were the ones who in fact saved our city. While the city was cutting services, NYPD were useless, and FDNY were playing cards, the residents were the ones laying the foundation for what you see today...turning vacant lots into green oases, cleaning the streets, and demanding and fighting for change.

None of the "success" you have seen over the past 2 decades would have happened without the residents commitment, hard work, and bravery. If anyone deserves credit..it is them.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 7,186 times
They ran Outta Crack ...less Crackheads on the Roam equates to less Crime Hu .

Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
FYI...I find it interesting and telling that Norwood Boy gives lots of credit to all sorts of city departments, agencies, and elected officials for "bringing down crime", yet gives NO CREDIT to the very NYers, community activists, and every day people who actually said ENOUGH, banded together and were the ones who in fact saved our city. While the city was cutting services, NYPD were useless, and FDNY were playing cards, the residents were the ones laying the foundation for what you see today...turning vacant lots into green oases, cleaning the streets, and demanding and fighting for change.

None of the "success" you have seen over the past 2 decades would have happened without the residents commitment, hard work, and bravery. If anyone deserves credit..it is them.
True like Nos Quedemos here in the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City