Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times

Advertisements

The ones being released are getting close to old. People in their late 50s are less likely to commit violent crimes, so probably won't affect the crime rate much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 04:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
LOL 4 murderious years and 2 major riots, you should make that 3 my adding the looting that took place during the black out of the late 1970s. Murderous 4 years, dude NYC had a crime rate that was high during Koch era as well as Beame era as well. Over all NYC probably had a rough 16 years until things stabilized under Guliani. As for the NYPD and gentrification the major change was the clean halls approach which forced out plenty of derelicts and squatters out of tenements through the city. City has been gentrifying way before Guliani became mayor of this city, East Village started to gentrify during the 1960s. It was reinvestment of real estate industry which lead to much of the gentrification that we all see and complain about today.
Giuliani did high profile things, such as cleaning up Times Square. That got major national media coverage, and that's really when the East Village began getting a lot more expensive. But beyond that, I do agree with you, pre Giuliani they did had it rough since the 70s.

Also keep in mind during the Clinton era because got tax incentives if they invested in run down inner city areas. Cities and states began giving out their own incentives.

Giuliani had help from both Washington and Albany (in the form of tax credits). Because once the police cleared out buildings from squatters, you needed investors to buy the building and make it habitable for working people.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:

Tax payers pay 60,000.00 dollars a year on average to keep one inmate upstate, its expensive as it is keeping locking those folks up.
There are so many "rehab" buildings in Harlem. Therefore, the number of convicted sex offenders, for example, is ten times higher than many areas in Manhattan. 127th street off St. Nicholas is literally building after building of similar populations, usually mixed together. Hard to imagine how such a concentration will foster reintegration and/or rehabilitation.

I was commenting on another thread that landlords partner with organizations to populate buildings with recent releases. One tenant in such a building told me that the landlord collects something like $2,000 per person from the state and city. He got rid of most of the tenants, gutted the building, and made dormitories.

So ... we may be paying, but someone is making money even after the fact of the prison industry.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
There are so many "rehab" buildings in Harlem. Therefore, the number of convicted sex offenders, for example, is ten times higher than many areas in Manhattan. 127th street off St. Nicholas is literally building after building of similar populations, usually mixed together. Hard to imagine how such a concentration will foster reintegration and/or rehabilitation.

I was commenting on another thread that landlords partner with organizations to populate buildings with recent releases. One tenant in such a building told me that the landlord collects something like $2,000 per person from the state and city. He got rid of most of the tenants, gutted the building, and made dormitories.

So ... we may be paying, but someone is making money even after the fact of the prison industry.
There are articles on these dormitories, also known as SRO's. They are horribly maintained, so the landlord is basically just fleecing the city. But as these days there are no new Section 8 applications and most other government programs have been canceled, people who are homeless are put in SRO's for their housing and many end up their long term (unless they either get a job or have family or friends willing to help). The dormitory thing is the easiest way for landlords to get government money.

Mind you the city, if they find out someone has out of family, will send them out of town with a one way ticket if the family says they can stay.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The ones being released are getting close to old. People in their late 50s are less likely to commit violent crimes, so probably won't affect the crime rate much.

Post alarmist nonsense as usual.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are articles on these dormitories, also known as SRO's. They are horribly maintained, so the landlord is basically just fleecing the city. But as these days there are no new Section 8 applications and most other government programs have been canceled, people who are homeless are put in SRO's for their housing and many end up their long term (unless they either get a job or have family or friends willing to help). The dormitory thing is the easiest way for landlords to get government money.

Mind you the city, if they find out someone has out of family, will send them out of town with a one way ticket if the family says they can stay.
None of this has anything at all to do with what I am talking about.
They are not SROs.
And by the way, SROs are not synonymous with dormitories. I have quite a good understanding of that whole subject.
Again, where does this person live in reality.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,939 times
Quote:
LOL 4 murderious years and 2 major riots, you should make that 3 my adding the looting that took place during the black out of the late 1970s. Murderous 4 years, dude NYC had a crime rate that was high during Koch era as well as Beame era as well. Over all NYC probably had a rough 16 years until things stabilized under Guliani. As for the NYPD and gentrification the major change was the clean halls approach which forced out plenty of derelicts and squatters out of tenements through the city. City has been gentrifying way before Guliani became mayor of this city, East Village started to gentrify during the 1960s. It was reinvestment of real estate industry which lead to much of the gentrification that we all see and complain about today.
BXGuy, There was no other time in NYC with a higher murder rate than during the Dinkins years. Read Tom Reppeto's book of the history of crime and the NYPD. Kind of scary but cops were forbidden from making narcotic arrests during the Dinkins era because of "Corruption Hazards". Crack hit NYC hard around 86 and was pretty vicious for the next 5-6 years. BTW I give Rudy credit because he hired Bratton. But the true hero IMO was Jack Maple. The fedora wearing Deputy Commissioner is the brains for compstat which is now used world wide. I also give credit to the grunts, the men and woman who took back the streets. The early TNT narcotics teams that crushed fat cat Nicholls in southern Queens or Kevin Gillespi of the original Street Crime who was killed line of duty on the Concourse. Operation clean halls is nice but those arrests had nothing during the crazy times.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
None of this has anything at all to do with what I am talking about.
They are not SROs.
And by the way, SROs are not synonymous with dormitories. I have quite a good understanding of that whole subject.
Again, where does this person live in reality.
Yes, you know everything about the NYC underclass and where the filth is dumped. Congratulations for knowing so much more about this than me, a subject I might add I do not care to be an expert in. I wonder if your knowledge isn't from personal experience.

Come on, admit it, no knows that much about this stuff or gets that picky about info on it unless he has very personal experience with it.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM

40 posts, read 72,981 times
The fall of Nino Brown.

Wait, was that a movie or real life?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
BXGuy, There was no other time in NYC with a higher murder rate than during the Dinkins years. Read Tom Reppeto's book of the history of crime and the NYPD. Kind of scary but cops were forbidden from making narcotic arrests during the Dinkins era because of "Corruption Hazards". Crack hit NYC hard around 86 and was pretty vicious for the next 5-6 years. BTW I give Rudy credit because he hired Bratton. But the true hero IMO was Jack Maple. The fedora wearing Deputy Commissioner is the brains for compstat which is now used world wide. I also give credit to the grunts, the men and woman who took back the streets. The early TNT narcotics teams that crushed fat cat Nicholls in southern Queens or Kevin Gillespi of the original Street Crime who was killed line of duty on the Concourse. Operation clean halls is nice but those arrests had nothing during the crazy times.

But look though NYC had a high murder rate as well before Dinkins was mayor, its just that during Dinkins tenure the murder rate was peaked and dropped off during the end of his tenure. Beame/Koch/Dinkins era of NYC was by far the worst when it comes to crime. For me when the murder rate is above 1000 victims, something is indeed wrong regardless of mayor or commissioner .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City