Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 AM

3 posts, read 16,166 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone can give me some input about the Woodlawn heights section of the Bronx?

What is life like down there?

How are the people in the community?

Is it a very diverse community?

How is the crime down there?

Planning on renting a house down there and want to be close to NYC.

Thanks for your input **SMILE**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Just one more thing

How many churches are there in Woodlawn?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:35 AM

506 posts, read 2,280,453 times
Default What type of churches are you looking for...

Their is one Roman Catholic,and a few other lutheran, korean, etc,,, churches also...............

Old 10-22-2007, 06:50 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
Generally speaking, Woodlawn is heavily Irish, considered pretty safe, nice area. Lots of pubs, nice houses. Parking may be a problem though. If you're not white, you might not find the welcome wagon at your door, but other than that, I think you'll like it.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
I don't know much about the area except that it is an Irish enclave...I am sure it is a cool spot though.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:36 PM

What if you are Albanian is that OK?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 AM

that's a dumb question billygrade. It is never okay to be Albanian! Kidding...but who really cares....the city is not about that...although I am sure it matters in the rest of the country.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,485 times
My daughter moved up there as an NYC Teaching Fellow after graduation from college in Virginia and is teaching Biology at a school in the Bronx (not in Woodlawn) that I consider questionable. She's 24 and sharing a house near Katonah with a bunch of other Fellows like herself, and is doing graduate work at Lehmen in the evening. IS SHE SAFE?!? I grew up up north, in the Boston area, and I know neighborhoods can be clannish. We're white, her dad's family all Scottish and Irish and my family Irish and Italian (like 90% of Boston area) but my daughter has very,very dark hair and eyes from my Italian father and most people find her appearance to be racially ambiguous. You know, like Catherine Zeta-Jones, who's Welsh but looks Latin. (Her students refuse to accept that she's white and keep asking her what she is.) Will she get the fish-eye from the neighbors and do I need to worry about her getting hassled on the street and in pubs/cafes, etc. I really need some assurance here. We live out in the suburbs here and she's in an entirely different environment from what she is used to.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Ha, nobody's going to bother your daughter in Woodlawn for looking a little bit darker. While the area is really Irish, there are plenty of Italian and Albanian people around. Rarely have I seen problems on Katonah unless large quantities of alcohol were involved.

What area is she teaching in? That might be the more troubling problem than anything that might occur in or around Woodlawn. Woodlawn is one of the safest areas of the Bronx, so there's nothing to be worried about with your daughter living there.

Lehman College is pretty safe. Those Tracey towers are a little bit troubling in my mind, but other than that, the neighborhood around Lehman is decent by Bronx standards. If she's driving down to Lehman she shoudl be 100% fine. If she's taking the 34 bus and then taking the subway she just needs to be alert at night, but I doubt anything will happen.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Agreed...she will be fine in the Bronx...and if she is a bit darker...all the better. A little color beats the pale, anorexic look anyday..especially in the Bronx! She will be fine...and will enjoy her time here....so try not to instill unnecessary fear in here...as that will likely traumatize her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City