Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK001 View Post
I agree with you on that. Something had to have beneficial to her because nothing about what she did makes sense. If her best friend canceled last minute, why didn't she reschedule her trip for a later date with another friend? If she couldn't reschedule, why didn't she take her husband? Why was it so important for her to travel to Turkey that she HAD to go there alone? It doesn't make any sense. If she wanted to take photographs, she could have went somewhere alone in the United States (Smoky Mountains, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Canyon, etc.)

On NY1 news, one of her relatives said that she had been talking to someone from Turkey on a social networking site. They wouldn't give any details on who this person was. To be honest, I don't think that Turkish police are going to find anything. Whoever killed her could have paid the police off (which happens a lot in places like Turkey).

When I first heard the news about this woman, the first idea that ran through my head was "She found a possible love interest in Turkey via the internet and ran away with him." Her relatives said she was depressed and unhappy with her life, it all made sense. Then they found her dead. Now it's just a very confusing case.
There was a lot of information about the people she was talking to on the social networking site (which was Instagram, where you post pictures you took). She met with some of those people in Istanbul, they know that, and the police spoke with them, especially "Taylan" or whatever his name was. It was first reported by a trashy Turkish paper (and picked up by the equally trashy NY Post, of course, that he claimed he'd had sex with her in a bar. He denied that this was true.) She also stayed with one of the Instagram friends on her side trip to Amsterdam--her husband was also supposedly "friends" with this guy, thought neither had ever met him in real life. His name is Ammer Reduron, and the police spoke with him, too.

I really thought it was a case where the two of them--she and her husband--made these connections and had an opportunity to make a little money by carrying something from one place to another. This is not necessarily condeming them as bad people. They are a family that doesn't have much, it would explain why they would spent big bucks on a trip that they obviously couldn't really afford, and maybe they thought it would be safe enough and worth it to get a tidy sum of cash. And then something went wrong.

The problem with this theory is that I don't think drug traffickers normally don't kill people by bashing their face in with a rock. Unless, as some have suggested, they specifically set up the homeless guy.

All conjecture, of course.

But it still just doesn't add up. A trip they can't afford that is a photography trip with no real camera--if you're going to spend thousands that you don't have on a vacation that includes NY to Istanbul to Amsterdam to Munich and back to Istanbul--you can't lay out a couple hundred bucks for a camera? Something is missing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was a lot of information about the people she was talking to on the social networking site (which was Instagram, where you post pictures you took). She met with some of those people in Istanbul, they know that, and the police spoke with them, especially "Taylan" or whatever his name was. It was first reported by a trashy Turkish paper (and picked up by the equally trashy NY Post, of course, that he claimed he'd had sex with her in a bar. He denied that this was true.) She also stayed with one of the Instagram friends on her side trip to Amsterdam--her husband was also supposedly "friends" with this guy, thought neither had ever met him in real life. His name is Ammer Reduron, and the police spoke with him, too.

I really thought it was a case where the two of them--she and her husband--made these connections and had an opportunity to make a little money by carrying something from one place to another. This is not necessarily condeming them as bad people. They are a family that doesn't have much, it would explain why they would spent big bucks on a trip that they obviously couldn't really afford, and maybe they thought it would be safe enough and worth it to get a tidy sum of cash. And then something went wrong.

The problem with this theory is that I don't think drug traffickers normally don't kill people by bashing their face in with a rock. Unless, as some have suggested, they specifically set up the homeless guy.

But it still just doesn't add up. A trip they can't afford that is a photography trip with no real camera--if you're going to spend thousands that you don't have on a vacation that includes NY to Istanbul to Amsterdam to Munich and back to Istanbul--you can't lay out a couple hundred bucks for a camera? Something is missing here.

yes, exactly!!!!

something is just not right.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 PM

393 posts, read 783,101 times
Quote:

I still get a strong drug trafficking feeling from this story. My theory is that maybe she was killed by a random criminal because she was hanging out in the bad part of town (which makes sense if there are drugs involved) and not by the people she was meeting with.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I still get a strong drug trafficking feeling from this story. My theory is that maybe she was killed by a random criminal because she was hanging out in the bad part of town (which makes sense if there are drugs involved) and not by the people she was meeting with.
That's a possibility, too.

Other weird things are that the homeless guy they are looking for whose DNA they found on her is on camera selling her leather jacket in the market. Her IPad and smartphone were taken, and someone made a call from the phone after she was dead, but they haven't located it. But, her earrings were taken off of her and laid down in the dirt next to her body and her wedding ring was still on her hand. Some people think the homeless guy merely found the body and took the jacket to sell.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
They are a family that doesn't have much,
I thought I read the guy makes $75K as a city bus driver. Was that not accurate? Sorry I don't have the link. While $75K is certainly not much for a family of four, they did live in a cheaper borough and had family around to presumably provide free child care so they shouldn't be paupers unless they were overspending...which they probably were

Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I thought I read the guy makes $75K as a city bus driver. Was that not accurate? Sorry I don't have the link. While $75K is certainly not much for a family of four, they did live in a cheaper borough and had family around to presumably provide free child care so they shouldn't be paupers unless they were overspending...which they probably were
It sounds as if it could be accurate. If you look at the pics of apartment building where they live, it's just ordinary--not fancy and not a rundown tenement, either. But--since the husband had to borrow money to travel to Istanbul to look for his wife when she first disappeared, and since they had to raise money through charity to fly her body home and pay for her funeral, it doesn't sound as if they had much savings or even life insurance. They also had two small boys--yet they have upwards of $5K or more to pay for a multi-city trip to Europe for the unemployed wife to take pictures with her Ipad? Yes, it could just be bad management of finances. She did declare bankruptcy back in 2005.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It sounds as if it could be accurate. If you look at the pics of apartment building where they live, it's just ordinary--not fancy and not a rundown tenement, either. But--since the husband had to borrow money to travel to Istanbul to look for his wife when she first disappeared, and since they had to raise money through charity to fly her body home and pay for her funeral, it doesn't sound as if they had much savings or even life insurance. They also had two small boys--yet they have upwards of $5K or more to pay for a multi-city trip to Europe for the unemployed wife to take pictures with her Ipad? Yes, it could just be bad management of finances. She did declare bankruptcy back in 2005.

again, the husband must have had his head up his ass.

Hunny, we cannot afford for you to take this trip, and please don't go alone.....

Does anyone think this might have been said,? because if it wasn't said, it should have been said.

he was a regular working class stiff, nothing more nothing less.....

So if money was apparantly not abundant, who in their right mind goes to the Middle East for a vacation to take pictures????????????????????????????

I am also leaning towards the drug thing, that is the only thing that would possbly make a trip like that beneficial to her.
maybe she wanted to make a lot of fast cash to get away from her husband, didnt they have marital probelms?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
again, the husband must have had his head up his ass.

Hunny, we cannot afford for you to take this trip, and please don't go alone.....

Does anyone think this might have been said,? because if it wasn't said, it should have been said.

he was a regular working class stiff, nothing more nothing less.....

So if money was apparantly not abundant, who in their right mind goes to the Middle East for a vacation to take pictures????????????????????????????

I am also leaning towards the drug thing, that is the only thing that would possbly make a trip like that beneficial to her.
maybe she wanted to make a lot of fast cash to get away from her husband, didnt they have marital probelms?
I don't know if they had marital problems or not. I saw a few things that implied that, but they seemed to come from the Mail Online and were sort of taking X and making it sound as if it meant Y. No one ever really said they had marital problems. I don't trust articles that interpret for you what something that could otherwise be read as something else means. It's sleazy reporting, IMO.

I think if it was a drug courier trip that the husband was in on it.

And not to be picky--well, OK, it is to be picky--Turkey isn't the Middle East. The western part of the country is in Europe and the eastern part is in Asia. And while I wouldn't mind going there--it looks like a stunningly beautiful place, on the Mediterranean, with magnificent ancient architecture--it does seem to me an odd choice for the first trip outside the country for someone who doesn't have any connection to it.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Middle East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down, Turkey is the Middle East

****sticks tongue out*****

Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Middle East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down, Turkey is the Middle East

****sticks tongue out*****
Look at a map. Where this woman was (by Galata Tower) is in Europe. Europe is the middle east? Use your head.

If you've ever been to Istanbul, you would know that it definitely isn't a "middle eastern" city. Think Istanbul might as well be Riyadh? Huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City