Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 PM

9 posts, read 11,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsg9000 View Post
UCLA is in a nice part of town but housing ain't cheap. And if the OP can't negotiate subways, how would he/she do on freeways?
I never said I could not "negotiate subways"; I've dealt with the subway systems of Seoul, Singapore, Frankfurt, and Bangkok, thanks. Oh, and I HAVE been to NYC for the record, so subways aren't a foreign concept to me. Furthermore, freeways wouldn't be a concern because I've driven in metropolitan areas most of my life, so your question is moot. There is substantially less public transportation in the South and subway navigation wasn't my favorite thing while traveling--which would make my hesitation for NY subway system reasonable. So basically, your sarcastic comment was unhelpful and unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 PM

As for the rest of you that replied and actually tried to help--I'm going into International Affairs. Thanks again for your time. I'm leaning towards attending Columbia now.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As for roaches, please, they have giant flying roaches in the south. Don't pretend the south is bug or roach free, roaches are even worse there.

And the south isn't rodent free either. If you do get pests in your place, tell the super and/or go to the hardware store and seal how they are getting in.

For the record, I've known drunks, drug addicts, and other scum in small southern towns too. Don't pretend everyone is cool there.

But if you are able to work out the finances, I think its foolish to let your chances of attending top institutions (UPenn or Columbia) go away because of your fears, and because you let jealous, embittered people without any opportunity help you in your self sabotage.
Sounds as if it is YOU who is "embittered" toward the South.

If you knew anything and/or had lived in the South, had lived their in any sort of a middle class manner, you would know that the filth, grime and basic disgusting lifestyle of NYC, simply isn't a part of that world.

American suburban/exurban McMansion lifestyle to the extreme, except that which might flash by as you zoom along at 70 mph! Stay out of the ghetto, stay out of the trailer parks, and negativity just isn't a part of life. Which is precisely WHY droves of NYers, since before the crack days have fled the NYC CESSPOOL FOR A BETTER LIFE!

I myself, born and bred, having lived south for some time, have written in the forum of my reaction upon returning to NYC, and being FULLY taken aback by the filth, grime and crush of people!

Most southern people used to a middle or upper middle lifestyle, and happy with it, will NOT take easily to NYC!

OP, those are ALL great schools, congratulations!

Any of them will suit you better, with NYU the exception.

I suggest you do this:

Given that you prefer life inthe South, likely in your present area, I suggest you look into whatever employment in your field which is available in your general area. Try to set up some exploratory interviews. Write a letter to Human Resources and/or the Dept Head, expalining your circumstance, that you are about to enter grad school, and would like to speak with and seek their advice and explore the possibility of future employment.

Do it properly and correctly, you will given a meeting, where you can talk to people who can help you comprehend the reality of your field. You can then discover the background of those in your area, working in your field.

You'll likely find that certain schools are favored and prevelant, either throught out the filed in that general area and/or specifically within different firms/companies. Often, firms will favor a specific school or two. Often, because one or more of the honchos will favor their alma matter.

I would then choose the school which would give you the best opportunity to find employment in your area, and at a firm/company which you favor.

Just a note, Southern companies tend to favor Southern schools. For example, some firms might favor grads from Ole Miss over Columbian grads. Not a lot of Ole Miss grads in NYC!

Michigan, UPenn, UCLA, all great schools, and will likely suit you FAR better than NYC! Living life will be far cheaper, easier and pleasant than life in NYC.

UCLA is a California urban like lifestyle.

UPenn is classic isolated campus life.

Michigan w/b a more intergbrated small city lifestyle, perhaps more like what you are used to, just a northern liberal version. Perhaps, just the level of Progression that you don't find in the South, but small town pleasant enough to make life enjoyable. Everyone, I have known has loved it there, save the cold, and their college experience!

That's another thing, what about the snow and cold, think you can deal? If not, UCLA!

Luck in your endeavors!

Jfyi, Columbia has lots of dorm space, and is constantly building more. I think it highly likely you could find dorm space, BUT it is unlikely to be within walking distance!!!

Traveling the subway will come to you after awhile. If you which, it is possible to immerse yourself in your studies AND school life, limiting your exposure to greater NYC. Meaning you w/b either at your dorm to sleep or spending most of your time on campus. A rather, limiting way to live, but you would ot be the first. Not what I reccommend.

Lastly, you might favor NYU over Columbia, because its campus and ALL its dorms are in good safe areas, while Clumbia's is in a less attractive area, as are their dorms, some of which w/b consideredd in not pleasant areas.

You really NEED to find a way to come and visit the schools!

Btw, if your field is not lucrative enough to make the cost worthwhile, then don't do it.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Why would a college student live without roommates. Also if expenses is a major concern is it not possible to work part time and / or live in a decent part of the bronx?

I don't think you should take into consideration that you are "from the south". If you've backbacked through asia how can you bypass COLUMBIA! and NYC?! Even with average sub-mid class salaries debt is easy to pay off (or avoid entirely) if you focus on it.

Whatever you are looking to get a grad in NYC should be a great place to gainfully employ it.
Ask this person what is his real life experience that leads one to make such ridiculous statements.

A "student" w/b reluctant to have roommates, given they are an adult having completed undergrad a few years ago, having been working and living on their own since that time; and, now wishes to complete a graduate degree.

Such is the accepted and expected standard for anyone seeking an MBA, FOR EXAMPLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Bugs and Roaches are in just about every apartment. Yes even $3000 a month studios.
I read your above choices for schools, look more into UCLA. Great school, cleaner area, slower pace of life, "nicer" people.
No bugs roaches in my apt!

If you are paying $3K and that is the case, then MOVE!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiawoolf View Post
As for the rest of you that replied and actually tried to help--I'm going into International Affairs. Thanks again for your time. I'm leaning towards attending Columbia now.
SIPA at Columbia is a great choice, one that would be worth it.

If you don't like Columbia housing, move to Manhattanville.
Columbia housing is not necessarily cheaper, by the way.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Sort of depends on what you think of as "a fluffy field".I went to graduate school at Columbia School of Social Work,a field that most people probably consider "fluffy".Except it just happens that Columbia has one of ,if not the top,school of social work in the country.
Exactly, and I would actually say - it is top.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Is a degree from Columbia going to give you a big boost in your field? Then go for it. Leave the grinds of NYC out of it, that's mostly your fears. But since you also got into UPenn, that's also a very prestigious school, so its completely rational if you just went ahead and chose UPenn.
This is not good advice. Regarding professional degrees, schools are not prestigious; programs and even specific faculty are.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM

39 posts, read 54,090 times
Quote:
freeways wouldn't be a concern because I've driven in metropolitan areas most of my life
Driving in other cities is nothing like driving LA freeways. There's pretty much no place except LA where you have eight-lanes one way as three freeways merge into one, people passing on both the left and right, motorcycles riding between lanes, and everyone tailgating while driving seventy-five to eighty miles an hour.

Quote:
your sarcastic comment was unhelpful and unnecessary.
Well bless your heart. Next time you don't want people pulling your leg, you might want to avoid giving them set-up lines. And if a little harmless Internet forum teasing gets your knickers in a twist, just wait until you get to New York.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsg9000 View Post
Well bless your heart. Next time you don't want people pulling your leg, you might want to avoid giving them set-up lines. And if a little harmless Internet forum teasing gets your knickers in a twist, just wait until you get to New York.
My point is: why would you even answer a post if you had nothing helpful to say? Your LA post has no relevance; I asked questions specifically pertaining to NYC. Sounds like you have too much time on your hands.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
OP, those are ALL great schools, congratulations!

Any of them will suit you better, with NYU the exception.

I suggest you do this:

Given that you prefer life inthe South, likely in your present area, I suggest you look into whatever employment in your field which is available in your general area. Try to set up some exploratory interviews. Write a letter to Human Resources and/or the Dept Head, expalining your circumstance, that you are about to enter grad school, and would like to speak with and seek their advice and explore the possibility of future employment.

Do it properly and correctly, you will given a meeting, where you can talk to people who can help you comprehend the reality of your field. You can then discover the background of those in your area, working in your field.

You'll likely find that certain schools are favored and prevelant, either throught out the filed in that general area and/or specifically within different firms/companies. Often, firms will favor a specific school or two. Often, because one or more of the honchos will favor their alma matter.

I would then choose the school which would give you the best opportunity to find employment in your area, and at a firm/company which you favor.

Just a note, Southern companies tend to favor Southern schools. For example, some firms might favor grads from Ole Miss over Columbian grads. Not a lot of Ole Miss grads in NYC!

Michigan, UPenn, UCLA, all great schools, and will likely suit you FAR better than NYC! Living life will be far cheaper, easier and pleasant than life in NYC.

UCLA is a California urban like lifestyle.

UPenn is classic isolated campus life.

Michigan w/b a more intergbrated small city lifestyle, perhaps more like what you are used to, just a northern liberal version. Perhaps, just the level of Progression that you don't find in the South, but small town pleasant enough to make life enjoyable. Everyone, I have known has loved it there, save the cold, and their college experience!

That's another thing, what about the snow and cold, think you can deal? If not, UCLA!

Luck in your endeavors!
Great idea; thank you for that.

As I've said, Columbia is looking a little brighter. This will be my last post because I've heard all I needed to hear. Thanks again for everyone's help. Best of luck to you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: